United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Fountz

Lightbulb Keano - Fergie's new No 2 ?

Just a thought.

Get him back, prefer him to whatshisface-potatohead.

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Tumescent Throb

nice idea

no coaching knowledge though has he

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
no fun

cant see it happening

trackie bottoms cost more than shorts

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
dodger

he could take on balloon popping duties. He'd be perfect.

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
antonin jablonsky

No chance. It's the wrong way round to have the manager putting his arm round the players cos his assistant has been laying into them. By the way how does anyone know that Phelan and Meulensteen aren't good coaches, Keane himself certainly rated Phelan as a coach.

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:48 AM
wiganste

What would Fletcher think?

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:49 AM
elephantstone

Keane might end up at City with Hughes

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
What would Fletcher think?

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Not a chance, the guy is a sandwich short of a picnic.
As already been said the asst is usually there to put an arm around the players and keep the peace.
Keane would just be a total dick, throw his toys out of the pram within 3 months and be a complete thorn in the side of the squad.

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
No chance. It's the wrong way round to have the manager putting his arm round the players cos his assistant has been laying into them. By the way how does anyone know that Phelan and Meulensteen aren't good coaches, Keane himself certainly rated Phelan as a coach.
mulkenstein is a decent coach isn't he? and Phelan was picked out for the job from when he first arrived at United according to The Wizard

Keane would get on just fine coaching with the top class players at United - but he ain't got the knowledge i don't think

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Gog Coch

No chance. Keane is his own man as is Fergie.
He'll probably take a rest, walk the dog and take the kids to school each day in Alty and still continue to go to all school events..
He'll be back and not as manager of Ireland either. He deserves better.
United supporters owe him a lot.

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Fountz

Default Think about it...

He could bring Snooty back with him !

[SIZE="1"]"taxi"

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Part 36 Offer

Assistant managers are someone who the players feel they can go to and trust. They are expected to be a bit more mellow than the manager and join in with the lads' banter more often.

Keane has never struck me as one for the banter tbh. He would be worse than the manager in the way he is around the players. He is far too headstrong and opinionated to be an effective assistant. It would be a disaster. He is still bitter about the way the club 'booted' him out the door after all he had done for the club.

Meulensteen is a good coach. I have seen him operate as I have mentioned before. He was originally brought in as a technique and skills coach.

Everyone likes to have their two penneth when it comes to Mickey Phelan but he is widely respected as one of the best coaches in the game. I still think Ferguson could have done with a foreign assistant given the diversity of our squad but hey ho. Maybe there was no one about. I was surprised he didn't fancy Poyet.

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
He could bring Snooty back with him !

Richardson?

Never had you down as a racist.

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:14 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
Not a chance, the guy is a sandwich short of a picnic.
As already been said the asst is usually there to put an arm around the players and keep the peace.
Keane would just be a total dick, throw his toys out of the pram within 3 months and be a complete thorn in the side of the squad.
Agree entirely.

Hope he never sets foot back at OT in any official capacity on the playing/ managerial side.

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:15 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Assistant managers are someone who the players feel they can go to and trust. They are expected to be a bit more mellow than the manager and join in with the lads' banter more often.

Keane has never struck me as one for the banter tbh. He would be worse than the manager in the way he is around the players. He is far too headstrong and opinionated to be an effective assistant. It would be a disaster. He is still bitter about the way the club 'booted' him out the door after all he had done for the club.

Meulensteen is a good coach. I have seen him operate as I have mentioned before. He was originally brought in as a technique and skills coach.

Everyone likes to have their two penneth when it comes to Mickey Phelan but he is widely respected as one of the best coaches in the game. I still think Ferguson could have done with a foreign assistant given the diversity of our squad but hey ho. Maybe there was no one about. I was surprised he didn't fancy Poyet.
Agreed Offers, well put too.

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:16 PM
elephantstone

If I had 20 million in the bank and my health knowing what pressures come with a managerial job in football I would £#%&! it off

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

where's this idea that keane wouldn't get on with the lads coming from?

he had a pop or two towards the end at United - and rightly so in the beginning

but he always got on and had the craic for most of his time. if anything I'd say his problem is that he has to deliberately separate himself from the craic and that that takes a big effort ending with himself shutting himself off too much from it all, an unhealthy situation personally as well as professionally.

he could turn out to be a terrific coach. maybe what he needs is a proper technical director/director of football at a club with a better philosophy on football than Quinn and Sunderland?

he might end up on the continent methinks, although the set ups are changing in the English game as well so you never know

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
where's this idea that keane wouldn't get on with the lads coming from?

Dunno, maybe 'cos his players at Sunderland cheered when they heard he was going. Shithouses they obviously are but Keane aint the easiest to get on with.

Where is the idea that Keane is a better assistant and coach that the current incumbants coming from? I'm unaware of his experience in either field?

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Dunno, maybe 'cos his players at Sunderland cheered when they heard he was going. Shithouses they obviously are but Keane aint the easiest to get on with.

Where is the idea that Keane is a better assistant and coach that the current incumbants coming from? I'm unaware of his experience in either field?
yeah but that's where I see the difference between working with journeymen and working with thoroughbreds

obviously no foundation to it other than a hunch

certainly don't have any problems with the set up at United myself and hope that it will flourish as expected

the whole Keane thing is still a romantic notion for me though and I hope that someone like him who stands up for his principles will eventually find success as a manager at a decent club

the idea that he may be a loose canon with a set of loose screws and missing butties just adds to it btw - i like that rogue mentality and non-conformity in a person; people who don't have a certain maverick character to their being are non-inspirational, and even worry me slightly when I'm around them for too long

this probably says a lot about me

i certainly hope so, anyway
Closed Thread