United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-11-2008, 06:45 AM
keano's love

Default Arsenal's last season title push as good as busby babes?

Well thats what James lawton thinks so.

according to him, if arsenal had won the title last season ( he gives the excuse of eduardo's injury that they didn't win ) would have been the most breathtaking win since busby babes back in 1956

for £#%&!s sake! this @#%&! has to be lynched. always waxing lyrical about arsene's kids.

Unread 28-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Spiffy

James Lawton? Nuff said. Who's James Lawton?

Unread 28-11-2008, 07:26 AM
keano's love

the writer for independent. @#%&!s.

yesterday they had that article of "skullduggery by united"

Unread 28-11-2008, 07:27 AM
borsuk

the only surprise is that this sort of thing surprises anyone any more

Unread 28-11-2008, 07:45 AM
user_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
Well thats what James lawton thinks so.

according to him, if arsenal had won the title last season ( he gives the excuse of eduardo's injury that they didn't win ) would have been the most breathtaking win since busby babes back in 1956

for £#%&!s sake! this @#%&! has to be lynched. always waxing lyrical about arsene's kids.

i thought you couldn't win with kids?

Unread 28-11-2008, 07:46 AM
keano's love

It surprised me. I have become used to the media adulation of arsene's kids/teams.

But "most breathtaking win since busby bases 1956" what the £#%&!!

Unread 28-11-2008, 07:51 AM
user_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
It surprised me. I have become used to the media adulation of arsene's kids/teams.

But "most breathtaking win since busby bases 1956" what the £#%&!!
never mind that they DIDNT win.

it's astonishing sometimes.

Unread 28-11-2008, 07:53 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_name
i thought you couldn't win with kids?
you can't. not with proper kids, like wenger's. mardy-arsed whining little babies with no backbone. still, you've got to admit, nobody does second-best third place fourth place a uefa cup place like arsene. another triumph! and all that failure for £#%&! all money. remarkable.

Unread 28-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Spiffy

Wasn't our team last season younger than Arsenal's? We won the EC. Also, had Arsenal won the league, would it have surpassed our kids winning the double in 96?

Unread 28-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Whalefish

With a clown in goal like Almunia there is no £#%&!ing way they'd have won the league title last season - and they won't be anytime soon either. Even an injury to Eduardo last season wouldn't have made any difference.

Unread 28-11-2008, 10:14 AM
The Return of JC

There should be more articles about teams who almost sort of kinda didn't not kinda win something. From a strong position in 1st to finally floundering to 3rd.
By that token, Lawton should be lavishing equal praise on Mike Walker's 1993 Norwich side.

'Propelled by the drive of Daryl Sutch....'

Unread 28-11-2008, 10:17 AM
The Watcher

Exclamation

Well, our "Kids" did the Double at the first time of asking and went on to dominate English football for almost a decade winning every prize in club football that matters.

The Busby Babes won back to back titles , lost in successive Cup finals (one post Munich) and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup in only its second season; eventually being stopped by the great Di Stefano and his Madrid side.

Of course, a rag like the Independent won't let inconvenient facts like those get in the way Lets not even mention that our "kids", on more then one occasion, have managed feats beyond even the greatest (I use the term very loosely) of Wengers side - retaining the League Title and winning the European Cup.

The only side that can ever be compared to the Babes is our own class of 92. Lads (most local, all British) that came up through our youth system and weren't nicked from the academies of other big clubs.

Unread 28-11-2008, 10:20 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Well, our "Kids" did the Double at the first time of asking and went on to dominated English football for almost a decade winning every prize in club football that matters.

The Busby Babes won back to back titles , lost in successive Cup finals (one post Munich) and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup at the first time of asking; eventually being stopped by the great Di Stefano and his Madrid side.

Of course, a rag like the Independent won't let inconvenient facts like those get in the way Lets not even mention that our "kids", on more then one occasion, have managed feats beyond even the greatest (I use the term very loosely) of Wengers side - retaining the League Title and winning the European Cup.

The only side that can ever be compared to the Babes is our own class of 92. Lads (most local, all British) that came up through our youth system and weren't nicked from the academies of other big clubs.
Oh, but come on, they do play the best football in the country. It's a scientific fact. I've seen a graphic. Looks like an Oil of Olay advert.

Unread 28-11-2008, 10:25 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Thumbs down

So this bloke is anti united by saying that arsenals kids would have been the best thing since the busby babes. So the busby babes were therefore better. So by praising the busby babes he is anti united?

More likely he is just another hack stating an opinion that will change in the next 2 minutes and his ideas probably aren't worth the paper they are written on. My problem is the whining that goes on about things like this.

Unread 28-11-2008, 10:37 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Oh, but come on, they do play the best football in the country. It's a scientific fact. I've seen a graphic. Looks like an Oil of Olay advert.

At times last season (against mediocre opposition) and around 98-99 & 2003-05 I'd agree, they played some great stuff. But recently? No chance! This £#%&! about them being the best "footballing" side in the country is laughable. Unless orchestrating a 30 pass move in front of the opposition goal, which eventually breaks down is someone’s idea of perfect football ffs, they're regularly compared to the Ajax and Brazil sides of the early 70s - one a side that won three successive European Cup's, the other possibly the greatest Wold Cup winning side in history! What the £#%&! have this current bunch of @#%&!s done to deserve such comparison

Wenger’s whole era at Arsenal is actually greatly overrated. Three times they’ve declared a shit in power, yet on every occasion they’ve failed to back up their bold predictions. Their double in 98 was followed by our Treble. They won it in 2002 at OT, we overturned an 8 point deficit in 2003 to get our Trophy back. Their “Invincibles” were knocked out of the European Cup by a poor Chelsea side and lost an FA Cup semi final to an equally poor United side. While Sir Alex’s one European Cup win was used as a criticism up too last season, Wenger’s continual failures in the same competition are overlooked. Anyone remember Juventus reserves knocking them out in 2003? £#%&!ing laughable.

Unread 28-11-2008, 10:42 AM
wiganste

Quote:

At times last season (against mediocre opposition) and around 98-99 & 2003-05 I'd agree, they played some great stuff. But recently? No chance! This £#%&! about them being the best "footballing" side in the country is laughable. Unless orchestrating a 30 pass move in front of the opposition goal, which eventually breaks down is someone’s idea of perfect football ffs, they're regularly compared to the Ajax and Brazil sides of the early 70s - one a side that won three successive European Cup's, the other possibly the greatest Wold Cup winning side in history! What the £#%&! have this current bunch of @#%&!s done to deserve such comparison

Wenger’s whole era at Arsenal is actually greatly overrated. Three times they’ve declared a shit in power, yet on every occasion they’ve failed to back up their bold predictions. Their double in 98 was followed by our Treble. They won it in 2002 at OT, we overturned an 8 point deficit in 2003 to get our Trophy back. Their “Invincibles” were knocked out of the European Cup by a poor Chelsea side and lost an FA Cup semi final to an equally poor United side. While Sir Alex’s one European Cup win was used as a criticism up too last season, Wenger’s continual failures in the same competition are overlooked. Anyone remember Juventus reserves knocking them out in 2003? £#%&!ing laughable.
Deliberate?

Unread 28-11-2008, 10:50 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

Attractive football is subjective. A 13 pass move to feet over 60 seconds may be someone's idea of perfection. A 3 pass move, with one flighted ball that takes 10 seconds to score could be another's. Some people love great defending. Some people can't see past bad defending in a player taking on the whole defence. It's all subjective. Personally, I like goals that combine a lot of different things. One of my favourite goals of the last few years was Rooney's goal in Rome in our 2-1 defeat to Roma (when we won the 2nd leg 7-1). It started with a Roma corner, solid defending, a mazy run from Ronaldo, determination from Solskjaer, an accurate 40 yard pass, immaculate control from Rooney and a clinical finish: It contained so many great elements of football and was brilliantly executed in about 15 seconds....but it only contained three passes so it ain't as good as Arsenal's.

Arsenal's football isn't as incisive as people like to think.

They're probably the best team at ball retention and everyone looks comfortable on the ball. That's very admirable and should be applauded for it's own merits, but that's a long way away from copywriting great football.

Unread 28-11-2008, 11:55 AM
dodger

Arsene Wenger - 3 league titles, in any league, since 1990. Who does his PR?

Unread 28-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Our goal away at Roma (Ronaldo's header) is an example of the superb football we are capable of. We play pass and move but with an incisive edge and end product. That goal was sheer brilliance.

£#%&! knows what we have been playing at this season away from home.
That was my favourite goal from last season.

Bullet header and great move leading to it.

I was at my girlfriend's house at the time, should have seen the look on her mother's face when that hit the back of the net

Unread 28-11-2008, 12:19 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Arsene Wenger - 3 league titles, in any league, since 1990. Who does his PR?
That's pretty shit when you think about it. Especially when everyone bangs on about how great his teams are.

They've only had one great team under him and that was the 98 double winning team. They were £#%&!ing good and they pushed us all the way in 99 too.
Closed Thread