United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-07-2020, 11:45 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Smalling is a good defender. Technically, not much between them. Said it when he signed and still believe it.

But there's a massive difference in personality, leadership and consistency.

That's what we bought. We bought a captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
some head on the @#%&!.
Easter Island must be missin' a head
Missin' one huge head, child
'Cause you're here with Lindelof right now
Your defending is heavenly, baby

Unread 10-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Laugh it up. There isn't. Smalling is a good solid defender. The most glaring difference is Maguire is much better on the ball.

Smalling is as strong and good in the air. Or certainly not much different. He's also quicker.

The major difference and the reason Maguire was bought was for his consistency, personality and leadership.

Unread 10-07-2020, 11:52 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Laugh it up. There isn't. Smalling is a good solid defender. The most glaring difference is Maguire is much better on the ball.

Smalling is as strong and good in the air. Or certainly not much different. He's also quicker.

The major difference and the reason Maguire was bought was for his consistency, personality and leadership.
The black guy is strong and quick huh?

Can only hope you don't get a long ban for this.

Unread 10-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
The black guy is strong and quick huh?

Can only hope you don't get a long ban for this.

"But.... but I was defending him!..."

*knee in the back, cuffs on.

Unread 10-07-2020, 11:59 AM
shenwen

Quote:

So, technically better no?

Smalling was a decent defender when not auditioning for wwe. But he was an atrocious footballer. And a wet lettuce. Maguire is a clear upgrade.

Unread 10-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
So, technically better no?

Smalling was a decent defender when not auditioning for wwe. But he was an atrocious footballer. And a wet lettuce. Maguire is a clear upgrade.
No, that's just one thing he's better at. Smalinf is quicker.

Point is, in terms of the basics, there's not much between them.

The BIG difference is leadership, consistency, personality and that's what makes Maguire the clear upgrade, I agree.

Unread 10-07-2020, 12:24 PM
Whip Hubley

Put a solid CB next to him and I think his game will go up even more.

I've been a bit harsh on him considering who his partners have been and the fact dave has been having a stinker. Regardless of dave's shot stopping, he's not exactly a commanding goalkeeper so probably isn't inspring much confidence anyway.

Get a worldy CB in and we're sorted.

Unread 10-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Put a solid CB next to him and I think his game will go up even more.

I've been a bit harsh on him considering who his partners have been and the fact dave has been having a stinker. Regardless of dave's shot stopping, he's not exactly a commanding goalkeeper so probably isn't inspring much confidence anyway.

Get a worldy CB in and we're sorted.
Agreed. He doesn't have anyone beside him doing him any favours or complimenting him.

Lindelof hides and Bailly is insane. Neither are bad, but do you really trust them? It's an area we can clearly upgrade.

Unread 10-07-2020, 12:57 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Just me who can see his influence on the side already then? Communicates really well on the pitch, wins loads of headers and is always playing alongside a potential brain fart like Lindelof or Bailly and in front of a keeper that has gone to shit in the last 12 months.

He is a very good, solid defender and a good leader on the pitch who genuinely seems to love playing for the Reds. He didnt pick his transfer fee.

Will captain United and England for the next 5 years and as Dr above is only going to get better, especially as we will sign a proper partner for him over the summer. Up the Slab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Don’t get the hate. He’s made a huge difference to the team. Very good defender. Great captain. Aren’t we second or third in goals conceded? Imagine how solid we’d be if he had a reliable partner back there?
Bang on the money these two.

Unread 10-07-2020, 01:21 PM
shenwen

Quote:
No, that's just one thing he's better at. Smalinf is quicker.

Point is, in terms of the basics, there's not much between them.

Except for control, passing and running with the ball

Speed is not a technique

Yes, I’m being pedantic but Maguire is technically a superior footballer to Smalling.

Unread 10-07-2020, 01:57 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Smalling is a good defender. Technically, not much between them. Said it when he signed and still believe it.

But there's a massive difference in personality, leadership and consistency.

That's what we bought. We bought a captain.
So defending doesn't involve passing? Smalling is one of the oddest passers I have ever seen he's not even clumsy.

Unread 10-07-2020, 02:26 PM
ZiggyStardust

I'm not sure he's worth 80 mill and I think his athletic limitations will mean he's never really considered one of the very best CBs in the world however he's been hugely important to our recent great run

Had a poor first half of the season but since the turn of the year and getting the captaincy he's been much better
Looks fully settled into the club now and comfortable with that captains armband on

We'll probably have to sign that world class CB to play alongside him
A player who has none of his deficiencies

Unread 10-07-2020, 02:27 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
So defending doesn't involve passing? Smalling is one of the oddest passers I have ever seen he's not even clumsy.
It does. And I've said he's not as good. I've also pointed out some other areas where he is equal to or better.

Fairly balanced in terms of attributes of a defender.

But the thing that sets Maguire apart of consistency and mentality.

Simple really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think a lot of the value in Maguire is in areas it’s harder to see. Let’s say in a saner world his value had been 50m. Then you have all the things we desperately needed at that time:

A leader in the dressing room (he is).
A calm unifying captain type, not another social media w**** (he is).
An experienced pro, familiar with the league and capable of organising a defence. (He is).
A CB who commands the box in the air. (He is).
An example to our younger players on what being a pro is about. (Seems to be).

This is without even considering the United tax; it’s real and we’ll always have to suck it up to get the players we want unfortunately.

I truly believe that a presence like Maguire’s - and subsequently Fernandes’ - is what we were most direly in need of, especially with so many young players coming into the squad. These kids will all be better and more valuable because of that presence - imagine them coming into an environment where Pogba and Lingard were the influences - and how do you put a price tag on that?

Good value imo.
100%.

Said earlier, but Ole is like Fergie in the sense the person is as important as the player.

I remember when we signed Smith And Heinze. Fergie felt that squad needed some fighters, a couple of nasty bastards.

That balance should always be there or you end up with a bunch of tarts like arsenal or City.

City would be a much better side with him in there season. You can see why they were in for him too (allegedly). They have no leaders back there.

This current set up desperately needed his personality. It's infectious and intangibly valuable. Even if he has his shortcomings as an actual defender.

So did Steve Bruce, but he was crucial to our success and a great captain.

Unread 10-07-2020, 04:58 PM
utd99

Quote:
It does. And I've said he's not as good. I've also pointed out some other areas where he is equal to or better.

Fairly balanced in terms of attributes of a defender.

But the thing that sets Maguire apart of consistency and mentality.

Simple really.

100%.

Said earlier, but Ole is like Fergie in the sense the person is as important as the player.

I remember when we signed Smith And Heinze. Fergie felt that squad needed some fighters, a couple of nasty bastards.

That balance should always be there or you end up with a bunch of tarts like arsenal or City.

City would be a much better side with him in there season. You can see why they were in for him too (allegedly). They have no leaders back there.

This current set up desperately needed his personality. It's infectious and intangibly valuable. Even if he has his shortcomings as an actual defender.

So did Steve Bruce, but he was crucial to our success and a great captain.
Vidic too. Turned like milk. Great defender overall.

Unread 10-07-2020, 05:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Vidic too. Turned like milk. Great defender overall.
Yep.

Him, Bruce, Terry. All the tough half to 'classier' partner.

We just need to find the Maguire equivalent.

Unread 10-07-2020, 06:32 PM
utd99

Quote:
Yep.

Him, Bruce, Terry. All the tough half to 'classier' partner.

We just need to find the Maguire equivalent.
If Ole likes Ake, that’s good enough for me. Seen him play a few and he generally looked good, but not so much this season obviously. It’s hard to tell when they’re with a poor team. You could see a player in Van Dijk at Southampton, but nothing like he turned out for the vermin. Think I’d prefer a current Prem player if any are good enough.

Unread 11-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You’re a b*****d.

Maguire’s character is ace, definitely made a difference, his ability not so much.
I was joking, soz. Maguire has been superb for us imo. He is slow on the turn but name me a perfect centre back in the modern game (and don't say that long-haired, murdering @#%&!).

Not every United defender has to be like Rio or Stam; or even that good. Proper character too. TSR type....

Unread 11-07-2020, 12:13 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
I was joking, soz. Maguire has been superb for us imo. He is slow on the turn but name me a perfect centre back in the modern game (and don't say that long-haired, murdering @#%&!).

Not every United defender has to be like Rio or Stam; or even that good. Proper character too. TSR type....
Quite right. To which I’d add that anyone who can help turn Shaw, Lindelof and an inexperienced AWB into a proper, cohesive unit is ok by me.

There’s going to be games they still look a bit rag-tag (Bournemouth was horrible), but I think we’ve kept something like 11 or 12 clean sheets on this run.

Unread 11-07-2020, 01:57 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

Unread 16-07-2020, 12:09 PM
AK14

When Ole was under intense pressure our captain played through pain for him

Closed Thread