United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 03-11-2021, 01:25 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Be grateful for small mercies (like being top of the group). In any event, the experience of failure makes the taste of success (when it arrives) all the sweeter. And it will arrive one day.
It won't be arriving one day soon. There isn't a single successful team in recent history who are outplayed as often as we are, smash and grab wins can be thrilling but when they are the main way of eking out any type of win the joy is short-lived as it clearly isn't sustainable.

The fact is we are into November and results have been poor yet performances have been even poorer. There is nothing to indicate either will significantly improve, we don't know our best eleven and no combination of players we select are able to to string out consecutive performances where they look like they know what they're doing.

Unread 03-11-2021, 03:37 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Players aots

Its like a kids team with a couple of dads upfront.

All season.

Not too arsed about a draw away in the group stages - it's a decent result - but the way we played that continues to worry me.

Looks like the back five with non-crossing wing backs experiment wasn't a tactical masterclass after all, but was an act of desperation. He has to figure a way to play the talent he has if he wants to have any hope of taking this team forward. Should start with dropping Pogba. But maybe that's too obvious for Ole.

Unread 03-11-2021, 05:33 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Be grateful for small mercies (like being top of the group). In any event, the experience of failure makes the taste of success (when it arrives) all the sweeter. And it will arrive one day.

Did you read his second paragraph?
I think more would be patient about the current football and more optimistic about the outlook if he'd just taken over but were 3 years and 450M in, we have some big time players playing for us but you wouldn't know it aside from Ronaldo's desire to step up to the plate time and time again.

The result is actually a good one, but many just aren't short sighted enough to not take the longer term view i.e. see that the next drumming or poor run of form is just around the corner in the cyclical Ole boom bust pipeline.

Unread 03-11-2021, 05:42 AM
Part 36 Offer

Poor performance but a good result in the grand scheme of things. With Ronaldo and our other attacking options, you've always got a chance. That said, it was dire. Starting Pogba was madness. Ole is starting to look so inept.

In my view, Pogba shouldn't play for this club again. He's finished with us and wants to leave. Why the £#%&! does Ole keep playing him when he has a ready-made ideal alternative in Vdb on the bench ffs absolutely desperate to start and prove himself at United. Abysmal management.

P.s. Siuuuuuuuuuuuu

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:15 AM
Patty_b

There's never an easy game away in Europe but we've managed to rescue a draw after conceding an iffy first goal, after having to change system during the game after an injury to one of our most capable players, and the subs made a massive difference on the result.

Fair play to Ole and the team, got a lot of things right tonight

Shame we're down to two fit players at the back now. One being made of glass and the other in the worse form of his life. Maybe we'll get to see the return of big Phil at the weekend.

On a personal note, I'm glad I can take pleasure out of the little things in life. It must be hard work quietly seething to yourself and scouring twitter to find tweets slating your team to post to other United fans after a hard earned draw.

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:16 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Poor performance but a good result in the grand scheme of things. With Ronaldo and our other attacking options, you've always got a chance. That said, it was dire. Starting Pogba was madness. Ole is starting to look so inept.

In my view, Pogba shouldn't play for this club again. He's finished with us and wants to leave. Why the f*** does Ole keep playing him when he has a ready-made ideal alternative in Vdb on the bench ffs absolutely desperate to start and prove himself at United. Abysmal management.

P.s. Siuuuuuuuuuuuu
Absolutely bang on

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:37 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
Top post.
We celebrated drawing 2-2 with the 5th best team in Italy .

we haven’t even beaten a good team side this season.

This Atalanta team isn’t even a full strength ffs. every game is a struggle. every game a team with decent manager and game plan open is all time and time again. 3 passes and they are through.
Would you say pep is a decent coach with a plan ? How on Earth does the pe teacher regularly beat his well drilled coached team

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:40 AM
MUFC One Love

Can still see us going out.

Lose to Villareal and Atalanta win their last 2 we are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

In my view, Pogba shouldn't play for this club again. He's finished with us and wants to leave. Why the £#%&! does Ole keep playing him when he has a ready-made ideal alternative in Vdb on the bench ffs absolutely desperate to start and prove himself at United. Abysmal management.

P.s. Siuuuuuuuuuuuu
Yep.

Pogba should be on the bench from now on. His performances are inconsistent at the best of times but now he's off he looks worse. Genuinely, people consider him one of the best midfielders in the world.

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:45 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
There's never an easy game away in Europe but we've managed to rescue a draw after conceding an iffy first goal, after having to change system during the game after an injury to one of our most capable players, and the subs made a massive difference on the result.

Shame we're down to two fit players at the back now. One being made of glass and the other in the worse form of his life. Maybe we'll get to see the return of big Phil at the weekend.

On a personal note, I'm glad I can take pleasure out of the little things in life. It must be hard work quietly seething to yourself and scouring twitter to find tweets slating your team to post to other United fans after a hard earned draw.
I predicted after the Spurs games that it wouldn't take too much before the Ole emojis are out again and here we are. Talk about short-term thinking. Rescue a draw after looking toothless for most of the game and its back to 'Ole got a lot of things right tonight'.

By the way, who is scouring twitter? Aside from wums like Saffers of course.

I'm sure most of us who doubt Ole took satisfaction with the result and cheered as loud as the top reds when the equaliser went in. But we can also see that this is our ceiling and we don't look like breaking through at any time.

I'll take more pleasure when our hugely talented team starts to perform consistently at the level it should be expected to. Plucky away draws in Bergamo will fade into the background.

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:54 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I predicted after the Spurs games that it wouldn't take too much before the Ole emojis are out again and here we are. Talk about short-term thinking. Rescue a draw after looking toothless for most of the game and its back to 'Ole got a lot of things right tonight'.

By the way, who is scouring twitter? Aside from wums like Saffers of course.

I'm sure most of us who doubt Ole took satisfaction with the result and cheered as loud as the top reds when the equaliser went in. But we can also see that this is our ceiling and we don't look like breaking through at any time.

I'll take more pleasure when our hugely talented team starts to perform consistently at the level it should be expected to. Plucky away draws in Bergamo will fade into the background.
Just providing some balance to the swathes of constant negativity. Every thread is overwhelmed with mard, it gets boring.

I'm on the positivity train once again

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:58 AM
tatty

If we were having a solid season then last night's result would be reason to celebrate...every good team has to dig out lucky draws occasionally.

Last night wasn't that.

It was just another game where we were exposed tactically, defended ineptly and, worst of all, had players in the side that clearly don't want to play for us.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:22 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Would you say pep is a decent coach with a plan ? How on Earth does the pe teacher regularly beat his well drilled coached team
Oh FFS of all the weeks to post that pol. Take it down. #curse

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:26 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Just providing some balance to the swathes of constant negativity. Every thread is overwhelmed with mard, it gets boring.

I'm on the positivity train once again
The ostrich levels of positivity is just as boring tbh.

Enjoy it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
If we were having a solid season then last night's result would be reason to celebrate...every good team has to dig out lucky draws occasionally.

Last night wasn't that.

It was just another game where we were exposed tactically, defended ineptly and, worst of all, had players in the side that clearly don't want to play for us.
It's amazing how some - Pure for example - choose to ignore that.

"All successful teams lose/draw now and again"

How I wish it was just now and again.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:30 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
The ostrich levels of positivity is just as boring tbh.

Enjoy it though
Oh I am, don't worry about that.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:34 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Oh I am, don't worry about that.
You've got three days to make the most of it.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:34 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:

He set up a team that was all over the place and bullied by a player through the game that most people never heard of.

Toward the end of the game we had Maguire bombing up the left wing and generally players just all over the place chasing and working their bollox off but with no cohesion.

We were rescued by exceptional individualism.

I get you're bored of the negativity but it's like claiming covid is a plandemic bc you're sick of lockdowns.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:36 AM
NedKelly

Amazes me how some people go from one extreme to another.
“Ole’s at the wheel - top reds have faith”
“He’s failed and the club needs to rip everything up and start again - the squad needs to be replaced wholesale”

*scrape a 2-2 draw against Atalanta*

Quote:
He set up a team that was all over the place and bullied by a player through the game that most people never heard of.

Toward the end of the game we had Maguire bombing up the left wing and generally players just all over the place chasing and working their bollox off but with no cohesion.

I get you're bored of the negativity but it's like claiming covid is a plandemic bc you're sick of lockdowns.
Think Patty’s in a similar situation to Ole with VDB - turning around now and flipping the script would be an acknowledgement that he’s wrong.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:41 AM
Mr_Ed

Imagine the shit we’d be in IF we hadn’t signed Ronnie this season? He’s dug us out of a lot of big holes.

I know I keep banging on about it but Pogba should be gone… what message does that give to Donny? It’s piss poor man management. Same for Lingard - either sign up or £#%&! off.

Two fit defenders for Sunday against Citeh. Bloodbath.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:49 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty

Last night wasn't that.

Yep, these games should be the exception, not the rule.

Saturday was a rare occurrence of relatively stress-free win with a clean sheet, so no surprise it was back to usual chaos of last night. Not entirely awful, as we played well in spells, but that’s the problem. That’s all we can do. We never have control over a game. We can be in front and gift it back or behind and fight back. Every game is a lottery of hoping our good spells outweigh our bad and that indivual quality overcomes indivual errors. We need all these factors to go our way and just hope we’re on the right side of the result. When we are, praise. When we’re not “that’s football”.

It’s not what top teams do.

And a team shouldn’t be more chaotic the further into a managers tenure they are.

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:50 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Amazes me how some people go from one extreme to another.
“He’s failed and the club needs to rip everything up and start again - the squad needs to be replaced wholesale”

*scrape a 2-2 draw against Atalanta*

Think Patty’s in a similar situation to Ole with VDB - turning around now and flipping the script would be an acknowledgement that he’s wrong.

It's exactly like the pandemic. Never thought about it like that before.

Hey everyone, anyone ever noticed how Ned likes to respond to people's posts but not the poster directly. Likes he's talking to a room of people about someone that's sitting right next to them. Weird isn't it.

Still think Ole needs to be replaced, but still going to take anything positive I can get as well and not join in on the abundance of mard.