United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:29 PM
shadowplay

Default Re: Tosic sold for £6million

Tbh, the whole issue of selling Tosic isn't my greatest of concerns. If the lad had problems settling, fair enough - good luck to him. But spending £5m (?) on a player, never giving him a go, and then selling him on again for more/less is disturbing, IMO. Who's scouting these players, and why's Alex choosing to buy them? It's a big risk, taking into account what little money it appears we have to spend. Why are guys like Manucho, Diouf, etc., being signed, when they'll probably be shipped out without having a fair go? Makes our scouting system/ability to unearth talent look fairly shit. I like Obertan - think he's got a lot of raw talent, makings of a decent player, etc - but it's a sign of the times when I don't think the lad will get much of a chance. Fully expect him to be shipped out in due course, too.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Coracao

I never really saw him do anything in the reserves that really stood out. When you're looking at an international who is 21/22 playing with kids who are 17/18 and often against people of the same age, you expect to see a bit more.

That said, I thought he'd get more of an opportunity than he did.

His physical attributes were always going to count against him imo. He is very slight, and he doesn't have great pace. Being a winger at united, that means you either need to be very skillful or be an exceptional crosser of a ball. He is neither of them.

He'll probably have a decent career, but he doesn't really seem a good fit with United and the Premier League.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
he was very good in that game

look people on here have their own views, agendas etc. I don't think tosic would be getting written off here as much if he was some brazilian yougster would he.

Anyway tosic aside united are in massive trouble. How can people not see it?!
Most can, the sale of Tosic doesn't really hammer another nail into that coffin though.

I'm not sure those who wrote him off early doors would be any different if he was a Brazilian youngster. Unless they're very shallow.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Agree with that he never really imposed himself on any games I saw him in, he has a decent strike on him but got pushed off the ball a fair bit. He was certainly nowhere near five times the level Obertan was at in the Reserves. Tosic was a better finisher but Obertan had some excellent games.
well he did pretty well in the bundesliga tbf no matter how people try to spin it.

Obertan looks way way off the level expected. Can you imagine him impressing enough for a top flight german club for the chief executive of said club to suggest that he played a huge part in keeping them up? Not a £#%&!ing prayer.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:32 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I never really saw him do anything in the reserves that really stood out. When you're looking at an international who is 21/22 playing with kids who are 17/18 and often against people of the same age, you expect to see a bit more.

His physical attributes were always going to count against him imo. He is very slight, and he doesn't have great pace. Being a winger at united, that means you either need to be very skillful or be an exceptional crosser of a ball. He is neither of them.

He'll probably have a decent career, but he doesn't really seem a good fit with United and the Premier League.
Why not take these things into account before signing him?

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

I agree with a lot of that and I am kind of playing devils advocate when it comes to tosic. I just think he looks more of a player than some of the dross we are currently gifting a living to.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Why not take these things into account before signing him?
I can only do that on Football Manager tbf.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
I can only do that on Football Manager tbf.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:35 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
well he did pretty well in the bundesliga tbf no matter how people try to spin it.

Obertan looks way way off the level expected. Can you imagine him impressing enough for a top flight german club for the chief executive of said club to suggest that he played a huge part in keeping them up? Not a £#%&!ing prayer.
True in Tosic perhaps he wasn't arsed in the Reserves which is another question but Obertan is younger and less experienced I'd give him another while before writing him off.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:36 PM
shadowplay

Obertan has been a lot more impressive in his reserve outings than Tosic ever was, IMO.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Barracuda

The original fee obviously looks appearance related now, rising as he stacked up first team appearances. If SAF has decided quickly that Tosic wasn't up to it, then it was pointless to play him to have to pay more money.

Very bizarre deal in hindsight though given neither Tosic or Llajic ultimately got near the team??

On a different note, does Tosic's sale now mean that as things currently stand we are at our 25 man limit? As such for any new player to arrive an existing one has to be sold or farmed out on loan.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Obertan has been a lot more impressive in his reserve outings than Tosic ever was, IMO.
really?

liverpool goal aside im not sure. i hope i am wrong.

S/Side.Red

Quote:
Tbh, the whole issue of selling Tosic isn't my greatest of concerns. If the lad had problems settling, fair enough - good luck to him. But spending £5m (?) on a player, never giving him a go, and then selling him on again for more/less is disturbing, IMO. Who's scouting these players, and why's Alex choosing to buy them? It's a big risk, taking into account what little money it appears we have to spend. Why are guys like Manucho, Diouf, etc., being signed, when they'll probably be shipped out without having a fair go? Makes our scouting system/ability to unearth talent look fairly shit.
Agree with this. We do seem to make a lot of fairly high-risk signings for a club with such little money. On one hand we talk about value at the upper end of the market, yet we seemingly have no problem throwing £5/6m fees at the likes of Tosic, Smalling and Chicharito. It's a bit strange. You'd have thought if money is that tight, we'd want to spend what we do have as carefully as possible.

Coracao

Obertan is a pretty interesting player, and i'd agree he has stood out more than Tosic in the reserves. Will be an interesting to see what happens with him next season. I don't really see the benefit of him playing in the reserves. Hopefully, he will have bulked up a bit. He is very raw though. Not sure if the flaws in his game can be ironed out by playing so irregularly.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agree with this. We do seem to make a lot of fairly high-risk signings for a club with such little money. On one hand we talk about value at the upper end of the market, yet we seemingly have no problem throwing £5/6m fees at the likes of Tosic, Smalling and Chicharito. It's a bit strange. You'd have thought if money is that tight, we'd want to spend what we do have as carefully as possible.
It's called 'doing a Benitez'.

nft

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
The original fee obviously looks appearance related now, rising as he stacked up first team appearances. If SAF has decided quickly that Tosic wasn't up to it, then it was pointless to play him to have to pay more money.

Very bizarre deal in hindsight though given neither Tosic or Llajic ultimately got near the team??

On a different note, does Tosic's sale now mean that as things currently stand we are at our 25 man limit? As such for any new player to arrive an existing one has to be sold or farmed out on loan.
http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...07&postcount=4

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Sparky***

Alright lads, what's happening in here then?

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:43 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
really?

liverpool goal aside im not sure. i hope i am wrong.
Yes, mate. Granted he's very raw still, but I see a lot of talent there. Prone to doing the odd daft thing or two, but he has a lot of natural ability; despite some of his sub-appearances/ Leeds, he's good on the ball. Quick as £#%&!, too. Would like to see more of the player who set up Owen's goal in Germany. But he'll never progress much if he's only going to feature like he done last year - just hope he's given a bit more time, and not £#%&!ed off to Rangers for a year.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:55 PM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
De Laet off out on loan.

Carrick or Berbs to leave. NFT.

Unread 15-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
Good man, cheers - we've more than enough fringe players who could be loaned out or sold if necessary.
Closed Thread