Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
oh arr ambrosia
ha !!!

Unread 25-04-2021, 02:49 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Considering a football club is a vanity project and a terrible way to make money, it’s even worse if the club costs a lot and needs a LOT of investment.

This is why it’s been Blackburn, Chelsea, City: small clubs that could be ‘sleeping giants’, but it’s rarely a big club that already has a lot of clout behind it.

Being a huge club and being an attractive purchase are completely different.

The only way out I can see is if it’s some eccentric kajillionaire dream to own United, because it sure as shit doesn’t make any sense from a financial point of view.
You're just ignoring the fact that every big club has been bought by businessmen and made them lots of money?

Unread 25-04-2021, 02:57 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
You're just ignoring the fact that every big club has been bought by businessmen and made them lots of money?
They’ve taken money out of the club. I mean the ones who want to go in tire and elevate a smaller club. The appeal isn’t to make United great. They couldn’t care less. Just keep the commercial revenue coming in.

Unread 25-04-2021, 03:10 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
They’ve taken money out of the club. I mean the ones who want to go in tire and elevate a smaller club. The appeal isn’t to make United great. They couldn’t care less. Just keep the commercial revenue coming in.
I agree with that. Clearly if the goal is to own a successful club then it's cheaper to buy a tinpot club and invest than to buy an already successful one.

But your original statement that football clubs are a terrible way to make money just isn't true.

Unread 25-04-2021, 04:26 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Ears and Draggers together could probably afford it. Come on lads.
Some shrewd investments in bitcoins required, perhaps.

Unread 25-04-2021, 04:31 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
I agree with that. Clearly if the goal is to own a successful club then it's cheaper to buy a tinpot club and invest than to buy an already successful one.

But your original statement that football clubs are a terrible way to make money just isn't true.
It depends. It CAN be a good way to make money if you get it right, but owners often admit that it’s not the most financially sound thing to do. Very case-dependent.

As for us now, we’d be the most expensive club to buy and we need a lot of investment.

Unread 25-04-2021, 06:23 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
oh arr ambrosia
Closed Thread