United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-01-2023, 08:44 AM
MUFC One Love

We are putting ourselves in a good position.

After city and arsenal, we don't have many of the big teams left to play really.

My only worry is the squad.

Unread 04-01-2023, 08:44 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Best form in the league after the first 2 games?

Can't be far off.
Given Arsenal are 9 points in front of us, no.

Unread 04-01-2023, 10:28 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We have to consider where we were and where we would expect to be after six months of a new manager.

We were a shambles last season.. Every game was a struggle. We had the ability to play well in 10 to 20 minutes spells and if we didn’t win it then, we were there for the taking. We lost 9-0 to Liverpool on aggregate, 6-1 to City. We lost 4-0 at Brighton, 4-1 at relegated Watford. A negative goal difference. Lowest points in PL history. It was humiliating.

By the end of the season, we were at our lowest ebb in 30 years and a complete laughing stock. That transmitted to the players and there were few you’d even want to keep around.

We needed stripping out from top to bottom and about ten new players.

Before we could even think about challenging at top of the league, we needed to get some basics in place. Some standards.

Work hard
Build a team spirit
Show signs of a style of play

Do that and you raise the chances of winning games each week.

We signed Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez who instantly improve their positions. More to come from Antony and Malacia.

The first two games were a disaster and felt like nothing had changed. Something clicked with the Liverpool game and there’s been a tangible change since then. Not that you can discount the first two games, but it felt like the penny dropped and our season started after Brentford. Since then we’ve won 11 out of 15 matches in the league.. We got tonked at City, we were shite at Villa. We were worth our point at Chelsea and should have beaten Newcastle.

We’ve won every other league game. Including Liverpool, spurs, Arsenal. We’ve conceded 3 goals in our home games since the opening day defeat and kept clean sheets since that Arsenal game and won 4 out of 5 of them.

Meanwhile, we’ve won 5 out of 6 Europa matches and won 2 league cup games.

Overall, P: 25, W: 18, L5, D2

That’s pretty damn impressive.

And that’s before we get into the crazy scheduling, all our forwards being out at some point( bar Rashford), the Ronaldo situation and our parasitic owners.

Are there problems? Of course, but none that can’t be attributed to us being a work in progress and the squad needing work. Instead of playing well for 20 minutes, we now switch off for 20 minutes. When we do, we still win 3-0.

Our problems are getting smaller.

We need forwards. In the summer we needed more or less an entire squad.

It’s understandable to see old habits and shit yourself because it looks like an Ole/Rangnick team - that’s because it still is. It’ll still show from time to time, but I defy anyone to take a step back, look at what’s happening over the course of the season in comparison to last and not see progress.

ETH was the one I wanted and I’ve seen nothing yet to doubt that.

And we’ve got new owners to come.
Agree with all of that. Casemiro has been an insane signing - one of our best ever but nearly all of our new signings have looked good or capable of becoming good. The city game coming up at ot is one that we’ll now compete in - not one where we’re hoping that we don’t ship more than 2 or 3 goals. I was totally relaxed last night - even when we weren’t playing that well - as everyone knew, even the opposition, that we could step it up if needed. The impact tenners has had is incredible imv.

Like you say, our problems have now narrowed down to needing a proper striker - biggest disappointment last night was martial who was shite.

We’ve scored 7 goals in the last 3 league games which sounds decent but we were playing Forest, Bournemouth and Wolves (two of whom are going down). All the teams above us pump goals - it’s a massive issue but will surely be addressed in the summer).

Unread 04-01-2023, 10:54 AM
Mr_Ed

We’re winning games when not playing well… we did a lot of that under Ole but it feels more controlled and we’re a more solid unit with the team being greater than individual moment which is where we’ve come from.

Given the league this year we should now get top four which we’d all have taken after two games.

If the club gets sold and we get solid investment I’m more optimistic than I’ve been in a long time.

Unread 04-01-2023, 11:01 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Given the league this year we should now get top four which we’d all have taken after two games.
I can't even dare to dream. other teams (notably chelsea and liverpool) will strengthen. we won't.

have loved our recent transfers, especially cass, but.... we are still a couple of injuries away from mcfred and maglinde. and we probably don't need to worry about martial's form, given his injury record. bruno will burn out, even if just from whingeing.

Unread 04-01-2023, 11:17 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I can't even dare to dream. other teams (notably chelsea and liverpool) will strengthen. we won't.

have loved our recent transfers, especially cass, but.... we are still a couple of injuries away from mcfred and maglinde. and we probably don't need to worry about martial's form, given his injury record. bruno will burn out, even if just from whingeing.
Personally, right now I don’t think we have the squad to challenge for the title. We don’t even have a proper CF for our XI.

However based on what I’ve seen on ten hag , his ability, what he is trying to implement there is cause for optimism for the future , I have zero expectations of the team this season .

With new (hopefully billionaires who throw money) owners on the horizon, we just need to get top 4 or win europa. By hook or by crook get that champions league spot for next season where we can flex our muscles. Push the narrative of “getting Man Utd back where they belong” , be able to actually scout proper players and act as a football team rather than a commercial company.

Genuinely don’t give two shits if we get kicked from the FA cup or league cup if it means we focus on the premiership and play less games/reduce the game load on our players .

If we sign a semi decent CF on loan, then top 4 is comfortable. Right now it’s still a bit shaky. We are a couple of injuries away from the shit@#%&!s infesting the first XI.

Unread 04-01-2023, 11:19 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
We are putting ourselves in a good position.

After city and arsenal, we don't have many of the big teams left to play really.

My only worry is the squad.
Chelsea H, Scousers A, Spurs A, Newcastle A

Unread 04-01-2023, 11:28 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Chelsea H, Scousers A, Spurs A, Newcastle A
Didn’t quite follow oners comment. We’re not quite half way through the season yet. Pretty sure we have everyone to play again.

Unread 04-01-2023, 11:56 AM
wiganste

I'm enjoying going again - there's a noticeable buzz around the stadium.

Back to back 3-0 wins in the league at home. Clean sheets aots

Also, De Gea threw his shirt into the crowd last night. 6 months ago, it would have been thrown back

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:06 PM
Travis Bickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

Also, De Gea threw his shirt into the crowd last night. 6 months ago, it would have been thrown back
Fair points ... There really is a feel-good factor at the games again. Of course the squad needs strengthening but given the players we have available I am happy with where we are right now.

It took SAF a few years to change the culture of the club, and that is what EtH is doing now. We cannot expect immediate success but I like the way we are heading.

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:15 PM
Bunker Buster

We're going to win a trophy this season

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:23 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

Still would if Dunk was the one that caught it tbf

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:25 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Agree with all of that. Casemiro has been an insane signing - one of our best ever but nearly all of our new signings have looked good or capable of becoming good. The city game coming up at ot is one that we’ll now compete in - not one where we’re hoping that we don’t ship more than 2 or 3 goals. I was totally relaxed last night - even when we weren’t playing that well - as everyone knew, even the opposition, that we could step it up if needed. The impact tenners has had is incredible imv.

Like you say, our problems have now narrowed down to needing a proper striker - biggest disappointment last night was martial who was shite.

We’ve scored 7 goals in the last 3 league games which sounds decent but we were playing Forest, Bournemouth and Wolves (two of whom are going down). All the teams above us pump goals - it’s a massive issue but will surely be addressed in the summer).
All absolutely spot on.

Big Erik ; finally the one.

Some teams above us “pumping goals” ?? Letting them in as well. Look at us climbing the table. Look at us on the pitch. Still early days. Only these £#%&!ing leeches can hold us back.

Martial needs launching off to Villa or Everton. Long overdue. Spineless @#%&!.

Ahead of the process.

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:28 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Still would if Dunk was the one that caught it tbf
De Gea’s having a superb season. He’s not perfect but no keeper is. it’s not even a debate. That other lad who played the other week for us looked like he’d dipped his whole body in £#%&!ing butter. He was basically having a panic attack in goal - the poor lad.

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:29 PM
AK14

Quote:
De Gea’s having a superb season. He’s not perfect but no keeper is. it’s not even a debate. That other lad who played the other week for us looked like he’d dipped his whole body in £#%&!ing butter. He was basically having a panic attack in goal - the poor lad.
Yup.

He’s improved so much under Tenners

Like the majority of our squad but Dave has really upped his game.

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:39 PM
dunk

He’s in the bottom half for goalkeepers, statistically, for the season across the board tbh.

The defence has improved, his positioning has improved, he remains the same.

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:41 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Yep, he's more proactive and his kicking is a lot better.

New contract for Spanish Dave.

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:42 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yup.

He’s improved so much under Tenners

Like the majority of our squad but Dave has really upped his game.
Whether dunk will accept that or not, don't know.

I'm certainly happy for him to stay (dunk and Dave) but he needs to accept that the Woowar era is over and take the mooted pay cut. He's no doubt seen the trajectory of the team under Erik and will want to stay.

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:42 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He’s in the bottom half for goalkeepers, statistically, for the season across the board tbh.

The defence has improved, his positioning has improved, he remains the same.
Bit harsh that Dunk

He's got his shit together recently. He's fighting for his place. He's in good form (we know he's still a fanny though)

Unread 04-01-2023, 12:45 PM
dunk

There’s a weird blind spot for the lad, the bare minimum is lauded as World Class

He’s trying, nqat, but even last night he came out and booted something he could’ve picked up with ease because he was terrified and punched a run of the mill save back into the penalty area. His positioning is great and can’t knock his reactions, but he’s terrifying.
Closed Thread