United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:33 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
It’s indisputable if you ignore our form in the several months prior to the start of that season. And if you ignore the team as a whole collapsing under the weight of issues that some on here were pointing our several years ago. And if you ignore the shaky moments that occurred even in those games against the mighty Leeds and Southampton (65% possession ycmiu), where the warning signs were obvious to anyone who watches football.

Indisputable.
Several months prior to the season? 7 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses in the league mate. 1 loss to resurgent Liverpool. Europa League final knocking 6 past Roma at home along the way. "Collapse" FFs.

So taking the 15 league games before Ronaldo joined we won 10, drew 3, loss 2. Included beating City away & draw w/ Chelsea away just before that. Find me a run of form like that once Ronaldo joined FFS.

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:38 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Several months prior to the season? 7 wins, 1 loss, 2 losses in the league mate. 1 loss to resurgent Liverpool. Europa League final knocking 6 past Roma at home along the way. "Collapse" FFs.

So taking the 15 league games before Ronaldo joined we won 10, drew 3, loss 2. Included beating City. Find me a run of form like that once Ronaldo joined FFS.
Our good form really helped us in the Europa league final this guy.

We collapsed in the sense that we struggled over the line. I remember us drawing with Leeds and losing to Leicester ffs. We finished that season poorly, with the Europa final being arguably the initial domino falling over for Ole. From then on we were shite. We had a few “paper over the cracks” games at the start of last season. Not my fault you’re struggling to see the big picture.

65% possession against Southampton being used to say we were in fine fettle

It’s all Ronnie’s fault that the issues that have been threatening to spill over for the better part of a decade finally did spill over though

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:40 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Our good form really helped us in the Europa league final this guy.

We collapsed in the sense that we struggled over the line. I remember us drawing with Leeds and losing to Leicester ffs. We finished that season poorly, with the Europa final being arguably the initial domino falling over for Ole. From then on we were shite. We had a few “paper over the cracks” games at the start of last season. Not my fault you’re struggling to see the big picture.

65% possession against Southampton being used to say we were in fine fettle
So you get presented with stats that show we were far superior in the end of '21 and start of '22 to any run we put together after Ronaldo joined .. and your riposte is "from (after the Europa final) we were shite" .. despite putting 5 goals past Leeds in our very next competitive game FFS. Take a break from the Ronaldo fanfic and actually look at how the team performed & how many points we took in the 15 games before vs. the 15 league games after before you talk about a prior 'collapse'.

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Stickman

Add to that we absolutely robbed Wolves who decimated us the first half at Molineux. We were utterly abysmal and nabbed the points from a goalkeeping error.

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:43 AM
tatty

I liken ETH to the Doc; clearing out the incapable and infirm to make room for a fresh, young, enthusiastic team.

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:47 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
So you get presented with stats that show we were far superior in the end of '21 and start of '22 to any run we put together after Ronaldo joined .. and your riposte is "from (after the Europa final) we were shite" .. despite putting 5 goals past Leeds in our very next competitive game FFS. Take a break from the Ronaldo fanfic and actually look at how the team performed & how many points we took in the 15 games before vs. the 15 league games after before you talk about a prior 'collapse'.
when did I say we lost all of our games at the tail end of that season? Our form collapsed and the way we played was demonstrative of that. Is it that hard for you to grasp that we were comfortably second and then allowed ourselves to be pressured needlessly because we drew/lost some important games. Which btw, has been quite common over the past 2/3 seasons. When others around us in the table have lost games and allowed us in, we havent really capitalised all that often.

Again, you seem to think I’m saying Ronaldo is some vital player who we cant do without etc. nope, you’re intentionally misrepresenting what I’m saying to suit your weird little agenda. I’ve said his goals last season stopped us from being bottom half of the table - if you want to talk stats then go look at those stats, I doubt I’m far off the truth if you take his goal tally away (especially the goals that won us games etc)

How did we play when Ronnie wasn’t in the squad buddy? Were we smashing goals in for fun?

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:48 AM
saffers

Ned dont give this troll any more attention.

Definitely a former fredster. He reeks....

United were shit for 95% of Ole's reign. The results were good for a lot of that but as Ned and others have said, the results lied.

Unread 03-07-2022, 10:49 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Ned dont give this troll any more attention.

Definitely a former fredster. He reeks....
Thanks pal, he’s obviously been hounded off the forum for embarrassing himself in the past and is hellbent on doing the same thing again.

Blaming Ronaldo for the mess we find ourselves in is just mind boggling. Definitely something wrong with his wiring.

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:05 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

30 points in 15 league games before Ronaldo + UEFA final run. 24 points in first 15 league games with Ronaldo. Pre-Ronaldo "collapse" FFS. Case well and truly rested m'lords.

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:11 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
30 points in 15 league games before Ronaldo + UEFA final run. 24 points in first 15 league games with Ronaldo. Pre-Ronaldo "collapse" FFS. Case well and truly rested m'lords.
I don’t think a 6 point difference and losing the Europa league final in embarrassing fashion is the powerful argument you think it is. Just looks like we continued in similar form from the tail end of the previous season, which is exactly what I’ve been saying.

“M’lords”

You hold on to your 65% possession against Southampton though what a way to prove we were in great form

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:19 AM
puressence

Erik and marlo speaking alot of truths

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:20 AM
Ethers

Not seen Nedders this rattled by an obvious wum before. Intriguing development

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:21 AM
andyroo

So we were shit without him and shit with him. Well that's encouraging.

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:23 AM
20LEgend1999

Can speak from experience how difficult it is when you look up stats to try and prove your point only to realise that the numbers don't really back you up. Hard to leg go and delete what you've already typed. Not sure just ploughing through is the best method though.

If anything, Ronaldo's poorest spell of the season came as he struggled to adapt to the changes Ralf brought in. 3 goals in Ralf's first 3 months and he wasn't contributing a lot in general. He certainly picked up once he got his head around Rangnick's methods. Doesn't seem up for the challenge of doing the same under Ten Hag, which is understandable. They do say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:29 AM
Bunker Buster

Erik doesn't need to teach him anything, his tactics would be through balls, overlapped crosses to the best goal scorer the world has ever seen....

Ronaldo ...

His Ajax didn't high press from the striker.....

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:34 AM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Erik doesn't need to teach him anything, his tactics would be through balls, overlapped crosses to the best goal scorer the world has ever seen....

Ronaldo ...

His Ajax didn't high press from the striker.....
Either way, it's a shame he's not up for the challenge. Unless he stays, in which case I'll pretend I never said it.

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:36 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Either way, it's a shame he's not up for the challenge. Unless he stays, in which case I'll pretend I never said it.

Oh, this is my most bookmarked thread in Fred history by the way.....

Some unbelievable "takes"

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:37 AM
utd99

We need to end the circus we’ve become. Ten Hag needs a serious club with a serious board and serious players, not these endless distractions from ‘me’ merchants. If Ronaldo is going to act like Pogba he should follow him out the door.

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:42 AM
Lodestar

Any player who doesn't want to turn out for us anymore should always be helped on their way - even Ronaldo. We need new solutions and players who we can build a team with. Are our rivals dependent on a 38 y.o. to make or break their season?

Incredible seeing him in a United shirt once again, but don't let sentiment cloud judgements on here.

Unread 03-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
We just need to replace the goals. He no longer has the legs to do much else and l think we need a dressing room that can pull together. Bruno has lost his f***ing mind since Ronaldo came in and there was no collective effort. He wasn't part of the problem as such but neither is he the solution.

Thanks for everything Ron.
I think he was part of the problem. He was probably the catalysing influence for those players who wanted Ole out. Can probably add varane to that too. Tipped the balance of the influential players and the split developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
I don't think anyone believes any different.

The great player to ever lace up the boots. Glad we got so see him again before he retires, sad that he had to share the pitch with some of the biggest germs in the clubs history.

When I'm a very old man if I get that far I'll sit the great grandkids down and tell them all about the great Ronaldo, the greatest footballer of all time
And how he £#%&!ed United off not once, but twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Who realistically could come in for him? Bayern if Lewandowski moves on I guess but that would be a very unusual move for them. In the sense for years we as Utd fans have looked at Bayern's transfer policy with some envy so it would be weird if they all of a sudden choose to emulate us and have a 37 year old leading the line.
Chelsea, Bayern, or psg you’d imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
If he goes, he goes. What can you do, but that output needs replacing. Either by like for like quality or a whole new way of playing where a central striker
Isn’t pivotal. Do ETH teams work that way?
He’s played with a false 9 in the past. He’s similar to Guardiola, except probably more flexible.

He’ll also have more knowledge on the Greenwood situation than any of us.

If ronaldo wants to leave, you’d imagine ten hag would have known for a while. Either through ronaldo or through agents and other clubs.
Closed Thread