United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM
dodger

Default Musings on the European Cup Semi finals

So 3 of the 4 teams in last years semis are in them again. Chelsea being there, and winning it, last year was a freak (they were utter shit) so we can pretty much discount them from any regard to rankings.
Despite our protestations that the campions league has become a lottery (Of course, given the format there is always the possibility of a team like the scouse or chelsea winning it every ten years or so) it seems like it's becoming more like the rest of europe's leagues, with the same few teams in contention every year and with those teams rotating somewhat in cycles of a few years. And due to our weak first eleven we're not currently one of them.

Despite us being unlucky with the way we went out we were only in that situation through Fergusons canny use of our limited resources (same as he does in our domestic league, although that's an easier task).
Having watched PSG a couple of times I thought they were a far superior side to us in almost every area and they went out in the quarters. Sadly, given their resources, we can't compete with them in attracting a player like Lucas Moura.

I'd say we're at the lower end of the top 8 in europe now, maybe not even that. Quite depressing really. I hope it's not the start of slow slide downwards and instead it's used as some motivation for a massive investment in 4 or 5 top quality first teamers.

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
So 3 of the 4 teams in last years semis are in them again. Chelsea being there, and winning it, last year was a freak (they were utter shit) so we can pretty much discount them from any regard to rankings.
Despite our protestations that the campions league has become a lottery (Of course, given the format there is always the possibility of a team like the scouse or chelsea winning it every ten years or so) it seems like it's becoming more like the rest of europe's leagues, with the same few teams in contention every year and with those teams rotating somewhat in cycles of a few years. And due to our weak first eleven we're not currently one of them.

Despite us being unlucky with the way we went out we were only in that situation through Fergusons canny use of our limited resources (same as he does in our domestic league, although that's an easier task).
Having watched PSG a couple of times I thought they were a far superior side to us in almost every area and they went out in the quarters. Sadly, given their resources, we can't compete with them in attracting a player like Lucas Moura.

I'd say we're at the lower end of the top 8 in europe now, maybe not even that. Quite depressing really. I hope it's not the start of slow slide downwards and instead it's used as some motivation for a massive investment in 4 or 5 top quality first teamers.
It's not been that canny has it tbf?

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

good analysis dodge.

there'll be a few along who will scoff at the psg bit, without having watched them and then if they get flustered they'll say it doesn't count because of 'oil money'.

Truth is we have had money to spend too. And not spent it very well.

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Harri Jaffa

If Nani hadn't been sent off we'd still be in the FA cup and probably the Champions league

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
If Nani hadn't been sent off we'd still be in the FA cup and probably the Champions league
Yep.

The Madrid 2nd half really has £#%&!ed up our season.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
If the FA, League and all the refs weren't bent, Liverpool would've won the last ten titles too

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
As much as I give them stick I actually agree with this.

That doesn't mean to say I think we're a great side, because we're not - but the entire campaign has collapsed since that night.

The goals have dried up - Van Persie's lack of goals since January is a big concern. He had a wonderful start to his career, but during the business end he's fluffed his lines - key games against Real Madrid, Chelsea & City he didn't turn up.
Fergie's default setting has kicked in so Giggs is getting the nod in big games ahead of Cleverley (which is ludicrous for many reasons)

We should still go on to win the League (they all want sacking if they don't) but nothing has been the same since the Madrid defeat.
Fergie looks a broken man & he's relying on old pro's & coincidences to get us over the line in the League.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:07 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

That doesn't mean to say I think we're a great side, because we're not - but the entire campaign has collapsed since that night.

The goals have dried up - Van Persie's lack of goals since January is a big concern. He had a wonderful start to his career, but during the business end he's fluffed his lines - key games against Real Madrid, Chelsea & City he didn't turn up.
Fergie's default setting has kicked in so Giggs is getting the nod in big games ahead of Cleverley (which is ludicrous for many reasons)

We should still go on to win the League (they all want sacking if they don't) but nothing has been the same since the Madrid defeat.
Fergie looks a broken man & he's relying on old pro's & coincidences to get us over the line in the League.
Spot on.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
andyroo

And it sucks.

If we're talking the four clubs remaining, we don't even have to be like Dortmund, or Barcelona, but we can be like Bayern.

Real Madrid can get £#%&!ed.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
And it sucks.

If we're talking the four clubs remaining, we don't even have to be like Dortmund, or Barcelona, but we can be like Bayern.

Real Madrid can get £#%&!ed.
Javi Martinez. :shakehead:

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:20 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
My ire regarding our transfer policy since the arrival of the gimps has never been pointed at the amount of funds but rather the usage of what's available and the truly horrific scouting/selection of players. £#%&!ing abysmal in the main, regardless of how we have done in that time.
My main problem with them's the way it's turned reds against reds

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
My main problem with them's the way it's turned reds against reds
I'm not talking about the problems with the gimps, they are plentiful, purely the transfer policy, which is dictated by the manager and the staff.

United will not get involved in attempting to buy any player if there is any chance of any kind of auction or if they are not absolutely certain the player will choose United, it's a truly arrogant standpoint. In works in some cases and ensures you steer clear of mercenaries, but in this day and age it means you are settling for a lower level of players.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Mr_Ed

I'm no expert but I expect one of the teams to go on and win it from here.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

This. Every word.

Van Persie's form has been worrying, especially with it being so good in the first half. I don't know if it's just falling down that hole at QPR that did it, but he hasn't looked fully fit since.

We should get over the line and get the 10 points, but we need a big change for next season.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
We should get over the line and get the 10 points, but we need a big change for next season.
Feels like this has been said every season since 2008 tbh.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Definitely, and it hasn't worked out. We've won the league a couple of times in that period, but we've still had the summers where we felt that we should be doing better in the transfer markets.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
That's because it has.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:48 PM
dodger

Quote:

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Barcelona have Messi, Real have Ronaldo, Bayern have the core of the Germany team and the Bundesliga's star has been rising for 3 seasons now; Dortmund are a terrific young team.

It's absurd to suggest that United couldn't have beaten PSG - Paris had a few chances in the 1st leg against Barca but were essentially out-played just as we were last time we met them. In the 2nd leg Barcelona were absolute garbage until Messi came on but PSG failed to capitalise. On the contrary, United were very good and in control of the Real tie until the red card. Van Persie missed a sitter to win the 1st leg, hit the bar and also forced a brilliant save at the end. We were very very close to seeing off Mourinho's team.
Closed Thread