United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-04-2009, 11:49 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
new era, new dawn.

really can't see it tbh. chelsea's defending in the first half was some of the most nervous and comical i have ever seen and i don' tthink the murderers actually played that well. i'm sure when i read the papers it'll tell me different though.
its not just yesterdays game

liverpool are scoring more goals...(4 against us, 6 against madrid) and also chelsea are scoring more goals and conceeding more as a result of it.

the usually defensive teams are coming out and playing as displayed in the game yesterday and a week ago.

Unread 15-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Smeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
its not just yesterdays game

liverpool are scoring more goals...(4 against us, 6 against madrid) and also chelsea are scoring more goals and conceeding more as a result of it.

the usually defensive teams are coming out and playing as displayed in the game yesterday and a week ago.

the way yesterday went had more to do with the position the tie sat in at the start, had it been closer you would not have seen a 4-4 draw. the murderers had to come out and score and after it went 3-2 they had to do the same, don't get me wrong it was an achieivement to do that but they would not have played with such a abandon without that being the case.

Unread 15-04-2009, 11:57 AM
marlo

Quote:
the way yesterday went had more to do with the position the tie sat in at the start, had it been closer you would not have seen a 4-4 draw. the murderers had to come out and score and after it went 3-2 they had to do the same, don't get me wrong it was an achieivement to do that but they would not have played with such a abandon without that being the case.
how do you explain them scoring 4 at ot, 6 against madrid, 4 against villa and 4 against blackburn?

the general play of both liverpool and chelsea has changed imo. both more attack minded.

Unread 15-04-2009, 11:59 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
cant you answer the question billy?

people have been churning out %@#$&!s about our game at ot with liverpool and how all their goals came from 'mistakes'

how else are goals meant to be scored. if a chance is taken, its clinical football. simple as that.
Everything fell for Liverpool at O.T anyone could see that tbh. Penalty at the perfect time, score a free kick, off the free kick that Vidic got sent off for. All of these came from clearances, not even a long ball, literally a clearance. It happens, just one of them days, they didn't come and out play us, as Chelsea and Arsenal have done to us in recent years.

Liverpool have won a few games (well, conceded 7 in the CL over 2 ties and gone out in between) and suddenly they're world beaters. Yesterday you said we've struggled this season whilst Liverpool have done well, come on Marlo, wtf does that mean? We've won 2 trophies, are above them in the league, and they're out of Europe. It proves how average have been, and are still not 'great' by the reaction to them winning a few games and scoring a few goals.

I agree with the thread though, it seems football is starting to open up again, last week that was evident, in every CL tie both teams were going for it. Well, I didn't see Villareal v Arsenal but I'd imagine both teams went for it. Refreshing to see imo.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:01 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Everything fell for Liverpool at O.T anyone could see that tbh. Penalty at the perfect time, score a free kick, off the free kick that Vidic got sent off for. All of these came from clearances, not even a long ball, literally a clearance. It happens, just one of them days, they didn't come and out play us, as Chelsea and Arsenal have done to us in recent years.

L
thats %@#$&!s im afraid.

we were not the better team and lost the game.

regardless of how the goals came.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Withers

Average number of goals per premiership game.

2008-2009 - 2.38
2007-2008 - 2.63
2006-2007 - 2.45
2005-2006 - 2.48
2004-2005 - 2.56
2003-2004 - 2.66
2002-2003 - 2.63
2001-2002 - 2.63
2000-2001 - 2.61
1999-2000 - 2.78

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
how do you explain them scoring 4 at ot, 6 against madrid, 4 against villa and 4 against blackburn?

the general play of both liverpool and chelsea has changed imo. both more attack minded.
they have been in good form and gerrard and torres have been playing well.

it was 5 v Real btw and they scored in the dying seconds v fulham. villa and blackburn were both hammered yes. The game at OT was a once in a lifetime #@&%! up, we had something like 67% possesion, palyed gash and suffered from a very direct game coupled with bad individial errors.

them being in good form and scoring goals is no more a new era of football than it is when we are doing it.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:

their world class centre forward is back, sharp and match fit and they are playing better because of it

we were awful against them, so were madrid. didn't see the other games.

chelsea are undoubtedly more open but doing worse because of it

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:06 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
thats %@#$&!s im afraid.

we were not the better team and lost the game.

regardless of how the goals came.
I agree, we were not the better team, but that's not the point, the point is it was 'one of them days' Liverpool got the bounces and breaks at the right times. It happens. They didn't come and murder us, out playing us etc.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:11 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers

2008-2009 - 2.38
2007-2008 - 2.63
2006-2007 - 2.45
2005-2006 - 2.48
2004-2005 - 2.56
2003-2004 - 2.66
2002-2003 - 2.63
2001-2002 - 2.63
2000-2001 - 2.61
1999-2000 - 2.78
I notice this excellent post has been ignored

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I notice this excellent post has been ignored
i thought that. nice use of 'facts' by withers backing up mine and others arguments

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:15 PM
razzle

at times like this i ask myself if the forum is a better place for the many incarnations of violater being allowed back on

the answer to my question is no

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
new era, new dawn.

really can't see it tbh. chelsea's defending in the first half was some of the most nervous and comical i have ever seen and i don' tthink the murderers actually played that well. i'm sure when i read the papers it'll tell me different though.
Agreed, entertainment wise it was a great game - but the standard of football was £#%&!ing dreadful. In fairness to Liverpool their launching it into the box tactic for once was probably the best way to go, given the fear and total panic in the Chelsea defence.

But no (supposedly) top level teams should be sharing 12 goals between them in 2 games. Two poor teams yes, or games where there's a huge gulf in class between the teams, - but not those who are right at the top and usually base their game around solid defending.

Of course the scousers tend to re-write history to suit - and we will probably find that they didn't lose the first leg at home quite convincingly, nor did they blow a two goal lead and cave in to concede four second half goals in the return.

Instead we will find that they are the moral victors, that they are a team of heroes who should be lauded and acknowledged as the best in Europe. Indeed we may actually find that Liverpool won the Champions League last night, twice in fact - once in the first half and again in the last 10 minutes.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:24 PM
dunk

It could be that Chelsea and Liverpool are being forced to attack as their previously sturdy defences have come unstuck and they have been left with no option, I suppose.

At OT they had 5 shots, scored 4 times from about 36% possession, that is not free flowing attacking football no matter how you look at it.

In the Bernabeau, they got into the Madrid penalty area twice. That is not free flowing attacking football.

At Anfield they are capable of blowing teams away, if they get an early goal and the odd dodgy penalty, as they often do. But the football is always as direct as possible with as little commitment of players forward as possible. That is not free flowing attacking football.

Sorry, but if anything, football is stifling itself more and more, and the occasional game involving injury hit and shattered teams doesn't change this.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:28 PM
marlo

Quote:

2008-2009 - 2.38
2007-2008 - 2.63
2006-2007 - 2.45
2005-2006 - 2.48
2004-2005 - 2.56
2003-2004 - 2.66
2002-2003 - 2.63
2001-2002 - 2.63
2000-2001 - 2.61
1999-2000 - 2.78
are the other seasons stats after 31 games as well?

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:29 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It could be that Chelsea and Liverpool are being forced to attack as their previously sturdy defences have come unstuck and they have been left with no option, I suppose.

At OT they had 5 shots, scored 4 times from about 36% possession, that is not free flowing attacking football no matter how you look at it.

In the Bernabeau, they got into the Madrid penalty area twice. That is not free flowing attacking football.

At Anfield they are capable of blowing teams away, if they get an early goal and the odd dodgy penalty, as they often do. But the football is always as direct as possible with as little commitment of players forward as possible. That is not free flowing attacking football.

Sorry, but if anything, football is stifling itself more and more, and the occasional game involving injury hit and shattered teams doesn't change this.
were we deserved our win against arsenal last season at ot?

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:33 PM
dunk

Quote:
were we deserved our win against arsenal last season at ot?
Yes.

Rooney should've had a hat-trick first half, Ronaldo should've scored. It was a very even game in terms of chances and possession.

In the second half they scored with a hand ball (great football in your mind, I imagine), and we scored 2. Both teams had further chances. It was a game in which both teams attacked and neither sat inviting the other on.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Withers

Quote:
It's an average marlo, you do know what an average is don't you?

Or are you suggesting that there will be a rush of goals in everybodies last 7 games which is going to push the average up, in which case congratulations on your ability to see into the future and post this thread two months early just for our enjoyment.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:35 PM
dodger

Quote:
No but it will take a massive upswing in scoring to increase the average appreciably between now and the season's end.

I would have thought somebody with your head for figures would be able to work that one out.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:36 PM
poppy

Quote:
It's an average marlo, you do know what an average is don't you?

Or are you suggesting that there will be a rush of goals in everybodies last 7 games which is going to push the average up, in which case congratulations on your ability to see into the future and post this thread two months early just for our enjoyment.
Closed Thread