United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Most talented, perhaps. But 'best'?

How are people defining 'best' out of interest?
Defining it by being the most talented by the looks of it, because it can’t be based on his actual performances for united over the past 3 years. For me there’s a difference between having the most ability and actually being the best player. Pogba is the former but not the latter. He’s the best player when he can be arsed to apply his ability, which hasn’t been often enough for united.

Unread 20-08-2019, 10:36 AM
AK14

Unread 20-08-2019, 11:02 AM
windy waffles

I had some on here the other day, too.

Something about kebabs.

#TurkLivesMatter

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Alex Jones was Right

I’m not even going to bother looking at what the bbc considers racist abuse. The media seem to treat twitter as if things said on there actually matter or is representative of society at large.

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I’m not even going to bother looking at what the bbc considers racist abuse. The media seem to treat twitter as if things said on there actually matter or is representative of society at large.
What about the club's statement? The other players?

People aren't walking down the street dishing out abuse but that doesn't mean something ought not to be done about the trolls who behind a screen feel the power of anonymity to dish out abuse. I imagine a lot of them are teenagers trying to appear "edgy".

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Pretty sure calling someone the n-word is still generally considered racist abuse, whether on Twitter or on the street

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Bunker Buster

You can't ignore racist abuse because it's twitter....

Disgusting @#%&!s hiding behind a keyboard / phone.

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Pretty sure calling someone the n-word is still generally considered racist abuse, whether on Twitter or on the street
Are people instantly perma banned for dropping the N word, specifically as part of a personal attack?

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:26 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Are people instantly perma banned for dropping the N word, specifically as part of a personal attack?
Why don't you post it and we can find out?

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Why don't you post it and we can find out?
We. Are. Tallllking. About. Twitter.

Do. You. Understaaaaand?

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:28 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Do. You. Understaaaaand?
I. Like. Lamp.

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:30 PM
dragflick

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You can't ignore racist abuse because it's twitter....

Disgusting @#%&!s hiding behind a keyboard / phone.
This.

Maguire had a half decent idea that he tweeted out tonight. Each account has to be properly verified with a proper I.D so there's no hiding behind your newly created anonymous twitter handle. Suppose they can still trace IP address etc, but would be a bigger deterrent to the @#%&!s if they had to provide ID.

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Do. You. Understaaaaand?

It can't be an instant ban, it would take context and people reporting the tweet.

Search the word, it's being used ALL the time for varied reasons ...

(Search it with Pogba and it's horrific.)

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:31 PM
AK14

Neville getting quite a bit of hate for instigating the abuse and having an agenda against Pogba.

Unread 20-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

It can't be an instant ban, it would take context and people reporting the tweet.

Search the word, it's being used ALL the time for varied reasons ...

(Search it with Pogba and it's horrific.)
I was wondering why they can't just put a filter on the word, but yeah that makes sense that people are also using in a different context.

It's up to Twitter at the end of the day, either they want to be known as a social media platform which allows rank racial abuse, or they step up how they treat and manage people being reported for racist abuse.

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
...but that doesn't mean something ought not to be done about the trolls who behind a screen feel the power of anonymity to dish out abuse. I imagine a lot of them are teenagers trying to appear "edgy".
Which shows how meaningless it is. The thing that should be done is people ignoring shit posted on twitter.

It’s possible to have abuse via the Internet, but anonymous trolls posting shit isn’t it.

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Buck

Quote:
Which shows how meaningless it is. The thing that should be done is people ignoring shit posted on twitter.
You do know the reason why the players are finally speaking out is they're done just trying to ignore it. Just ignoring it allows more people to do it since there is no punishment. You can do it and nothing happens. £#%&! off.

You post a video of PL highlights on twitter and your account will usually get taken down for copyright but clamping down on racist commentary is too much for twitter it seems.

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Maguire had a half decent idea that he tweeted out tonight. Each account has to be properly verified with a proper I.D so there's no hiding behind your newly created anonymous twitter handle. Suppose they can still trace IP address etc, but would be a bigger deterrent to the @#%&!s if they had to provide ID.
Maguire can £#%&! off. It’s a shit idea.

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:24 PM
ryanMUFC

Should have ignored it.

Twitter/Social media/Society of making people relevant who shouldn’t be.

Doubt the person that did it has been anywhere near Old Trafford.

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
You do know the reason why the players are finally speaking out is they're done just trying to ignore it. Just ignoring it allows more people to do it since there is no punishment. You can do it and nothing happens. £#%&! off.
Damaging their brand is it? Finally speaking out and done ignoring a bunch of anonymous arseholes ffs. As if it’s an issue that’s the cause of huge suffering. That’s the Internet. If you can’t ignore meaningless shite on the Internet don’t use it. It’s just a business tool for the players and there’s a bigger picture than a few brand minded sportspeople not liking negative posts associated with their image.
Closed Thread