United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-08-2019, 11:29 AM
utd99

Default V.a.r.

I’m confused.

Doesn’t the new directive call for linesmen not to flag a close offside if a player is put through and let VAR sort it out if he scores? If Martial -who looked to me like he was being played on by the far defender- goes on to score and it turns out he was off, then fine; but how can you know if you don’t let it play out?

Wasn’t this thing supposed to clear up confusion?

Unread 20-08-2019, 11:33 AM
waynes ear's

yes

Unread 20-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I’m confused.

Doesn’t the new directive call for linesmen not to flag a close offside if a player is put through and let VAR sort it out if he scores? If Martial -who looked to me like he was being played on by the far defender- goes on to score and it turns out he was off, then fine; but how can you know if you don’t let it play out?

Wasn’t this thing supposed to clear up confusion?
Yes. We just happened to get the most useless officiating team in the Premier League.

There was also the corner that never was, I don't think VAR is meant to be used for those kind of situations, but the T.V broadcast had clearly shown that it was a corner before the goal kick had been taken, so the VAR team must've have known that it should have been a corner before the ball was back in play.

Unread 20-08-2019, 11:46 AM
utd99

You’d think, at the very least, the useless @#%&!s should know what the procedure is though. They should have done a soft roll out just for offside, then when refs and players got used to that expand it. As funny as it was at the weekend -because it happened to City- VAR coupled with the rule change on handball is just making this transition a £#%&!ing joke.

Unread 20-08-2019, 11:55 AM
windy waffles

They shouldn't be reviewing every goal. If a referee is unsure as to whether an offence has been commited, it should then go to VAR. All of this waiting to see if a goal can stand is ruining the game. It's been a farce (with the exception of seeing City crash out of Europe last year).

Unread 20-08-2019, 11:59 AM
utd99

If I thought it was only ever going to happen to City I’d happily hop right on the VAR bandwagon. Our time’s coming.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:02 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
They shouldn't be reviewing every goal. If a referee is unsure as to whether an offence has been commited, it should then go to VAR. All of this waiting to see if a goal can stand is ruining the game. It's been a farce (with the exception of seeing City crash out of Europe last year).
Agreed, but why wouldn't a referee review it, they don't give a £#%&! about the fans in the stadium or millions of people at home so why chance it and be wrong.

It really is going to ruin the game, every goal reviewed for any infringement.

Strikers will need to develop to no longer play on the shoulder of the last defender because if pube is offside it wont count.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:03 PM
shenwen

what about the Neves goal. Didn't see it clear but was there an offside? Would have been a disgusting decision. Imagine a goal of that quality being written off because someone's arm was offside during the build up?

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:07 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
what about the Neves goal. Didn't see it clear but was there an offside? Would have been a disgusting decision. Imagine a goal of that quality being written off because someone's arm was offside during the build up?

The Neves goal was reviewed for the play near the corner flag. He was level when the ball was played but it was close.

The quality of the goal is irrelevant imo

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Not even that, but it was obvious that it wasn't offside the second the still image was shown, but then they had to delay everything further while geometry student with this funky little tools £#%&!ed about for 3 minutes to make sure it definitely wasn't offside, when it obviously wasn't to anyone with eyes.

If it's a clear offside, then fair enough, a quick check is all that should be needed, but when they're trying to split @#%&! hairs to disallow goals then it just gets stupid.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:10 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Not even that, but it was obvious that it wasn't offside the second the still image was shown, but then they had to delay everything further while geometry student with this funky little tools £#%&!ed about for 3 minutes to make sure it definitely wasn't offside, when it obviously wasn't to anyone with eyes.

If it's a clear offside, then fair enough, a quick check is all that should be needed, but when they're trying to split @#%&! hairs to disallow goals then it just gets stupid.
It's offside or its not. You can't just say it's near enough onside so it's a good goal.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:11 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
The Neves goal was reviewed for the play near the corner flag. He was level when the ball was played but it was close.

The quality of the goal is irrelevant imo
Absolutely.

There was a player offside, was it a tap in or overhead kick?

Tap in.

Disallowed then.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:13 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Oh I WAS imagining it. I think it was offside too, by mm. Moutinho's shoulder seemed to be in the red zone, the same zone that saw Sterling have one ruled out on the opening day.

It's a joke. In the stadium, celebrate a worldy goal then wait for some cretinous little egghead sat in a porta-cabin on the motorway get his slide rule out to see as many permutations as possible as to why he can disallow it. Yeah, that's just wonderful to watch.

Even in cricket they have umpire's call. So balls hitting the stumps can either be out or not out depending on the judgment of the official. Football has managed to be more hardline that cricket FFS.

Worse still, it doesn't even work properly. In their effort for perfection when ruling goals out, what happens if Wolves break and score a goal when Man Utd should clearly have had a corner that wasn't awarded? That is going to happen this season.

If Big Sam was still alive he'd be teaching his players to spot any handball or infraction in any passage of play and then just all freeze on the spot and let a goal play out, sure in the knowledge VAR will have to disallow it.

Game. Gone. Get rid.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
It's offside or its not. You can't just say it's near enough onside so it's a good goal.
When you're resorting to using geometry tools to determine whether someone is offside or not, it's gone too far the other way imo.

I'm not against VAR checking some of the obvious stuff, but for me, stopping the game for several minutes to see if they have to disallow a goal for a big toe being slightly offside is too much.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:18 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
When you're resorting to using geometry tools to determine whether someone is offside or not, it's gone too far the other way imo.

I'm not against VAR checking some of the obvious stuff, but for me, stopping the game for several minutes to see if they have to disallow a goal for a big toe being slightly offside is too much.
But how do you define what's worth checking or not?

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:19 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Yup. Used to be the attacking side got the benefit of the doubt. If we are using Pythagorus Theorem to decide if a goal should stand, the game has gone...

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Bunker Buster

Love VAR.

it'll have teething problems but it made the world cup and citehs European dumpage all the more sweeter....

Rules are rules and it's about time teams didn't cheat to 3 points...

Not sure why people think folk won't stop celebrating goals ..

How about the New DOUBLE GOON.

goon once, goon again.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:23 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
But how do you define what's worth checking or not?
Should adopt the tennis approach. Teams get 3 calls per game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Love VAR.

it'll have teething problems but it made the world cup and citehs European dumpage all the more sweeter....

Rules are rules and it's about time teams didn't cheat to 3 points...

Not sure why people think folk won't stop celebrating goals ..

How about the New DOUBLE GOON.

goon once, goon again

Literally made me laugh out loud.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:30 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Should adopt the tennis approach. Teams get 3 calls per game.
That would require someone having the ability to count to 3. Bit of a tall ask that.

Unread 20-08-2019, 12:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
That would require someone having the ability to count to 3. Bit of a tall ask that.
You could use one VAR call to count your VAR calls?
Closed Thread