United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-08-2020, 09:07 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Hard to argue with that, as they're the facts, tbf. Xavi bossed the biggest games, on the biggest stage, time and time again. Although I do think a lot of that is down to the midfield unit that he got to play in for both Barcelona and Spain, which is the best and most dominant midfield I've ever seen.

Nevertheless, I always thought he was the standout player in that midfield, and he made both teams tick. I've always put Xavi ahead of Iniesta - whilst the latter popped up with the big goals, it was Xavi that was the heartbeat of the teams. Incredible footballer.

Still think Scholes was the better player, though. Swap the teams that him and Xavi played in, and Scholes would have won just as many European Cups, European Championships and World Cups.

Scholes also played in a far more competitive league, with a far more gruelling fixture list where he couldn't just coast most weekends against cannon fodder like Leganes and Getafe.

that barcelona midfield though was flawless. Scholes never got to play alongside anyone of the calibre of Iniesta for 10 years.
Closed Thread