United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-09-2007, 10:44 PM
LH_88

Minutes silence.

Why should we have to change for them classless @#%&!s?

Look at the Sir Matt silence, more moving than any 'minutes applause' could ever be.

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:03 PM
tatty

When we played Everton after SMB died the silence was spoilt initially by it kicking off (verbally).

Now I was quite close to the Everton fans and didn't hear them start anything but it seemed once a small murmur came from an unknown part of the ground there a large group of reds who went mental.

The anniversary will be the same if we play City; lots of reds will be just waiting and possibly imagining noises coming from the away fans even if it's just coughing etc.

I'd rather have a minutes silence than applause and why not have it an hour before kick off before the City fans are allowed in just to avoid any unsavoury incidents.

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Gakbu

One of the victims was Frank Swift, a journalist at the time but a former city player (goalkeeper), maybe if this was pointed out some people would think twice... but then again maybe not.

Unread 26-09-2007, 01:55 AM
penguin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Given that the Premier League have really ballsed up by scheduling the city home match as the nearest to the 50th anniversary will there now be a minutes applause as opposed to the silence. In the circumstances and given the opposition the applause would get round any "problems".
Some things never change. Given that the old 'Football League' and there ignorant leader were in no small way responsible for the crash................

Unread 26-09-2007, 01:56 AM
penguin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gakbu
One of the victims was Frank Swift, a journalist at the time but a former city player (goalkeeper), maybe if this was pointed out some people would think twice... but then again maybe not.
Sadly, not. Some people are beyond education.

Unread 26-09-2007, 03:25 AM
croberts

minutes silence wthout question

Sadly, the city fans will ruin it.

Unread 26-09-2007, 05:07 AM
borsuk

silence.

i doubt the pl think they've ballsed it up. this looks very much like the pl trying to use the anniversary as a pr stunt: they hope it will go well so they can say 'look how football unites' or some such crap. the fact they're using and taking a gamble with other people's emotions won't interest them one bit.

complete scum. the priority for that day, of all days, should have been what the united fans wanted re fixtures, not what some @#%&! in london decided would be fitting.

Unread 26-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Silence.

Unread 26-09-2007, 11:09 AM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
i think the club with ignore our wishes and go for applause
Yep - I agree. And I can see why. As I said any other opposition and there is no argument. And tbh if/when there would be disruption from the city fans during a silence we are deluding ourselves thinking that the entire United support would wait until the end of the minutes silence before reacting. Whilst I am blaming the Premier League for scheduling this fixture perhaps United are mostly to blame - if they didn't approach the League prior to the fixture scheduling asking for a "suitable" opponent on this date then they are to blame. Can't see how or why such a request would have been turned down. Whilst the fans are obviously hugely important in this the survivors and the families of the deceased will be on the pitch that day - and anything to prevent THEIR grief being made worse must be considered. If that means a minutes applause rather than the more appropriate silence then so be it. But a wee bit of common sense in the first place could have prevented this.
Closed Thread