United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
Okkkk it seems your being mature enough she have a footballing debate

May 2023.

Let’s say we sign 5 players

In order of importance list them please.
For mount just put his name in there please next to the number
Time will tell, simply put.

I would have had Keeper, midfielder and striker as must gets, what order they arrive matters not a jot, we’ve got 2 of them and we couldn’t spend the entire budget on one position.

An awful lot of people didn’t think we needed a keeper at all.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:12 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Time will tell, simply put.

I would have had Keeper, midfielder and striker as must gets, what order they arrive matters not a jot, we’ve got 2 of them and we couldn’t spend the entire budget on one position.

An awful lot of people didn’t think we needed a keeper at all.
But is the midfielder we got the midfielder we needed?
because some we’d need a caciedo or amrabat.

With no striker our whole squad we can’t need two midfielders before even one striker surely ?

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:17 PM
dunk

Well at the moment McT and Fred are still here, we needed a replacement for Beek who has been out for 9 months and will be leaving and Eriksen, who clearly can’t play 90 minutes nevermind 60 games and is a bit of a liability away from home, so that as the priority. Mount is that.

There’s also the point that technically Mount was available and relatively cheap in a summer where Bellingham has gone for near £90m and Brighton want similar for Caceido. Homegrown, PL proven etc. a bit of a No-brainier in that sense.

Amrabat would be a replacement/upgrade on the defensive capabilities of Fred and McT, based on what I saw of him in the WC and bits in the EC and Serie A last season. They’re not going to get him until the money is secured and spot in the squad free’d up..

It doesn’t matter what order they arrive in. Kane might not move until August 31st, should we not have signed anyone until then?

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:21 PM
Dr Stranger

We’re not signing players in the order we need them ffs.

By that logic, Tyrell Malacia was our priority signing last summer.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:21 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Yes but we have other area in dire need of players.

Rashford for example blows hot and cold and we are £#%&!ed if he is our one or even one of two genuine goal threats in our whole squad.

City have a squad yes you are no doubt right about that but why improve our squad when we need actually forwards.

Ok in midfield , we have vdb coming back, eriksen.
Why buy competition for that place when we have not even one competitor striker.

Furthermore why buy a player that’s able to speak to other clubs in 4 and a half months? Given we have to be prudent

The nerve on me expressing my opinion on an internet forum that i subscribe to. Mad ting!
I fully expect us to sign at least one striker before the end of the window, so I don’t share your concerns. If we don’t, then it will be a huge mistake.

Imo we needed a top keeper, top midfielder and a top striker. Personally I’d also like another midfielder and another forward, but if we don’t have enough budget to get that 2nd midfielder or forward I don’t think it’s a massive issue, depending on who we end up selling. If we sell Fred & The Scottish Player and don’t bring someone else in then that is a pretty huge gap in the squad, even given the prospect of Mainoo. I’ve said already that if we go for a young striker like Rasmus, then we need some experience brought in as well. Exception would be if we do end up signing someone like Kane, or even Ramos tbh.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:22 PM
Jethro

Do we need a striker? Don't think it's been mentioned since 2020

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:24 PM
dunk

We need a CB if we sell Maguire too; we won’t be signing one until he’s gone though.

The 3 glaring areas were Goalkeeper, attacking midfielder and Striker.

Beyond that, depending on sales and budget; 2nd keeper, CB, DM, 2nd striker.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

i know what marlo is saying but it doesn't work in order of importance.

if we say we need to go from

fred
mctom
bruno
cass
erikson

to

top midfielder
better than what we have midfielder
bruno
cass
another midfielder better than the ones we have

then we buy them as and when their available. if mount is a player erik likes and feels he fits in the style he wants us to play he can't not sign him when he's available cos he's got to get someone else in first.

fergie didn't sign eric first, or keane, he signed them when he could and when they came on the market. constantly looking to improve the squad. so yeah, no-one is saying mount fixes our problems but we've got to look at it with a bit longer term view

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:27 PM
wiganste

Absolutely no point anyone getting their knickers in a twist because we're not winning the league, striker or not.

It's all about improvement, staying in that top for for a couple of seasons and then start to seriously challenge for the league. And we can already see a steady improvement, even if our manager is on a weird watch list

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:28 PM
Sparky***

I think unless we add another 2-3 very very good players, including a striker, it's going to be a fight for top 4 at the best.

Chelsea have two strikers now who look like they can bang in goals, they've got a very good manager and shit ton of new players who have had 7 months to bed in. They'll come again.

Liverpool will be cycling back on this year so they'll be back to their charging around like maniacs best - especially now they've got rid of the old £#%&!ers in midfield replaced them.

Arsenal have spent another 200 odd million quid and managed to phase out the likes of Xhaka, I cant see them dropping 4 places down from last season.

We can't rely on Rashford to have another miracle 30 goal season and shoulder all the goalscoring responsibility as he blows too hot and cold. We're desperately going to need to add another 30 goals to this team because personally i think we're going to concede an absolute shit load.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Absolutely no point anyone getting their knickers in a twist because we're not winning the league, striker or not.

It's all about improvement, staying in that top for for a couple of seasons and then start to seriously challenge for the league. And we can already see a steady improvement, even if our manager is on a weird watch list
Yep.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:37 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think unless we add another 2-3 very very good players, including a striker, it's going to be a fight for top 4 at the best.

Chelsea have two strikers now who look like they can bang in goals, they've got a very good manager and shit ton of new players who have had 7 months to bed in. They'll come again.

Liverpool will be cycling back on this year so they'll be back to their charging around like maniacs best - especially now they've got rid of the old £#%&!ers in midfield replaced them.

Arsenal have spent another 200 odd million quid and managed to phase out the likes of Xhaka, I cant see them dropping 4 places down from last season.

We can't rely on Rashford to have another miracle 30 goal season and shoulder all the goalscoring responsibility as he blows too hot and cold. We're desperately going to need to add another 30 goals to this team because personally i think we're going to concede an absolute shit load.

This. And that’s not a slight on us. It’s reasonable to expect Chelsea and Liverpool will improve and Arsenal and Newcastle to at least retain their level.

Then there’s Spurs and Villa lurking.

There’s 7 teams who all think they should be top four.

As Ste says, it’s about improving. This time last year I wanted us to get back to basics. look like a team again. Look like we had a way of playing. That, alongside some good signings and I expected us to improve massively. We did. I wasn’t even thinking about league position.

This year, we’ve got a manager with another year under his belt and signings who are all an improvement on the first 11 and/or squad. With more to come.

I expect that will improve us again. And once again, league position will take care of itself if we do.

Unread 27-07-2023, 12:50 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Stop being weird.
new to jem?

he loves to die on random hills.

Unread 27-07-2023, 01:14 PM
marlo

Quote:

Yes i keep repeating myself but we’ve spent 100’ this year and we aren’t better in the area we were lacking goals.
We needed forwards. We needed goals.

Once we got in two goal scorers we then get a midfielder to help our casimero.

You can get away with a ok midfield and a good forward line but not other other way round.

Just look at Liverpool. Their midfield is and has always been average at best.

Anthony
Rashford
Sancho
Garnacho
Martial

Needed 2-3 additions before even thinking about a midfielder.

Unread 27-07-2023, 01:20 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

Spot on.

Quote:

Unread 27-07-2023, 01:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Yes i keep repeating myself but we’ve spent 100’ this year and we aren’t better in the area we were lacking goals.
We needed forwards. We needed goals.

Once we got in two goal scorers we then get a midfielder to help our casimero.

You can get away with a ok midfield and a good forward line but not other other way round.

Just look at Liverpool. Their midfield is and has always been average at best.

Anthony
Rashford
Sancho
Garnacho
Martial

Needed 2-3 additions before even thinking about a midfielder.
You’re just repeating the same thing over and over Mount will score more goals than Eriksen managed last season, so straight away you are wrong about not improving the lack of goals issue. Again, we’re in the process of buying a striker and have no idea what else is really going on. We don’t need to buy the players in a particular order and there’s over a month of the window left yet.

Unread 27-07-2023, 02:59 PM
Sparky***

This lad is an absolute class act. England captain one day

Unread 27-07-2023, 03:42 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I see our win over Arsenal didn't mean anything, but this result means something...
If you believe some, a bunch of kids losing to Wrexham means something

Unread 27-07-2023, 03:44 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
This lad is an absolute class act. England captain one day

https://twitter.com/utdplug/status/1...Tig51Y-d5izVYA
Remember when Liverpool had it all wrapped up and were going to announce signing him the moment the transfer window opened? And the Jordan Henderson “hey Jude” clip?

Unread 27-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Remember when Liverpool had it all wrapped up and were going to announce signing him the moment the transfer window opened? And the Jordan Henderson “hey Jude” clip?
He must have known ‘Hendo’ was about to #betraygay