United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Serenity Now

Default Goodbye, Carlitos...

Looks like all you Tevez haters are going to get your wish this summer. Carlitos just given an interview on Fox Sports in Argentina where he's said that he's most likely going to be leaving United in the summer.

Briefly:

United had first option on him till January, but did not exercise their right to buy him.

He has no personal problem with Sir Alex or with his team-mates.

He wants to leave the club on good terms, as he has nothing but respect for the shirt and love for the fans.

He has many offers, including from Spain. But he can't just make a decision based on money, as he has to do what's best for his family and his daughter. So he has to think very carefully about his options. He doesn't rule out going to another club in England.

That he's he's scored three or four goals in a match and then not played in the following game. He understands that there are lots of good players at United who all need to play, but he needs to play regularly. He also says that he loves playing in the big games, which he generally hasn't been able to do this season.

This situtation makes him worried that he won't get to go to the next World Cup.

Oh and Evra is his best friend.

Unread 22-04-2009, 08:57 AM
BarryX

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

I wouldn't blame him for going at all...but it's £#%&!ing shocking really considering the success we have enjoyed at the club during his brief spell with us. He always says how much he loves the club, the fans and wanted to stay. If both he and Ronaldo go, things will start to look very very different for the club, no matter who we get in to replace them.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Whip Hubley

Everyone saw it coming.

I didn't think there were that many tevez haters? he certainly doesn't get as much stick as 'the lazy one' despite he's put in just as many ineffectual performances this season (how one penalty overshadowed an awful 120 mins from our most senior attacker sunday is beyond me)

I would love him to stay and get back the consistency and form of last season but I can't see it happening with the worst striker in the world ever evil berbatov in the squad. too many cooks.

He's worth whatever we paid just on the basis of last season though so no complaints and good luck to the fella, he's everything a red should be

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Whalefish

Bugger.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

If he goes I hope there's some sort of money available for a replacement however you have to wonder if the cash is there? Macheda is a promising talent but it's a big ask to be something like third choice.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Oh, and before anyone is stupid enough to turn it into a Berbles vs Tevez debate there are places in the squad for both of them. Just look at the number of games Carlos has played and Berbatov. Both have made contributions.

Shame he's leaving.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:17 AM
thatsfuctit

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Stupid decision to let him walk in light of Berbatov's influence. I'd have him ahead of the latter every time.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:20 AM
hopkins

I applaud his crucial goals, workrate and effort, but we need a striker with a first-touch who can play with his head up. Tevez spends far too long chasing after his poor first-touches

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Stupid decision to let him walk in light of Berbatov's influence. I'd have him ahead of the latter every time.

He's being let go because of Berbatov? How do you figure that out or are you just jumping to a div sized conclusion?

Given the number of games both strikers have played, and Rooney's fitness issues at times, it's pretty clear there's space for both of them. If he's going it's down to other reasons than a new face. IMO.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Smeggs

if he does go I for one will miss him. bee a great servant and i've loved having him at United.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:21 AM
thatsfuctit

btw since when did fox news become the gospel - he may well be offski, but surely there is more posturing to be done by both sides yet

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:22 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

[/color]Oh, and before anyone is stupid enough to turn it into a Berbles vs Tevez debate there are places in the squad for both of them. Just look at the number of games Carlos has played and Berbatov. Both have made contributions.

Shame he's leaving.
Thing is, as he points out in that interview, its a place in the starting eleven for the big games Carlitos is missing out on. When he's trying to be in the starting eleven for the mighty Argentina, it's just not gonna help his cause (Maradonna even said as much).

I really, really, don't want to loose him, but just can't see us paying the sort of money his handlers know they can get for him elsewhere. He is a natural born winner.

Don't forget: form is temporary. Class is permanent.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:23 AM
caliban

for me its just a question of cash. at £10-12mm i think we'd buy him without even thinking about it, but if its true they want £30mm, then no #@&%!ing way.

for that money, we can ship in king karim.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Mr_Ed

This appeared in the UK news last week didn't it?

Sad to see him go but he's not worth the reported £20m we still have to pay IMHO....

Good player for us and won't be forgotten.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Jez Quigley

Default mmm

Carlos Tevez = 21st Century Viraj Mendis

I'm going to paint 'Carlos Must Stay' all over town next time I am back in Manchester.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
Thing is, as he points out in that interview, its a place in the starting eleven for the big games Carlitos is missing out on. When he's trying to be in the starting eleven for the mighty Argentina, it's just not gonna help his cause (Maradonna even said as much).

I really, really, don't want to loose him, but just can't see us paying the sort of money his handlers know they can get for him elsewhere. He is a natural born winner.

Don't forget: form is temporary. Class is permanent.
That's all well and good, and he may have a point but how has he performed for Argentina in the past few years? Prior to the last two International matches and that defeat to Bolivia there seems to have been a suggestion that his place was under threat or certainly under some scrutiny. It's not just his Utd form that's going to affect his chances with the national side but what he does for them when he plays.

He'd play enough if he stayed, and given injuries and the nature of football enough big games too over the length of a contract. I can only imagine the issue is the terms of the deal and in particular the fee MSI want to make his move permament. Purely speculation on my part but in these credit crunch times it's not a surprise.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Oh, and before anyone is stupid enough to turn it into a Berbles vs Tevez debate there are places in the squad for both of them. Just look at the number of games Carlos has played and Berbatov. Both have made contributions.
I'm not convinced on this myself. Didn't think there was a long-term equilibrium solution situation last summer and still don't. If you have three top quality strikers and two spots, at least one of them is not going to be happy with the situation. This interview, and some other things I've heard, only emphasises this point.

Say we go and sign Benzema in the summer - we won't, of course - you think he or Berbatov will be happy if they're playing less minutes than the other two and regularly getting left out of the big games? Someone is going to be less than content.

In fact, I can't remember ever seeing an example of having three marquee strikers all happy at the same club. Of course, with Tevez you also have the added fact that the club made it pretty clear that they weren't going on sign him on a permanent basis...

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:36 AM
BarryX

Quote:
That's all well and good, and he may have a point but how has he performed for Argentina in the past few years? Prior to the last two International matches and that defeat to Bolivia there seems to have been a suggestion that his place was under threat or certainly under some scrutiny. It's not just his Utd form that's going to affect his chances with the national side but what he does for them when he plays.
confidence and personal belief breeds success, my whaley friend.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
confidence and personal belief breeds success, my whaley friend.
So when he was doing well for Utd last season what was his form with Argentina like?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I'm not convinced on this myself. Didn't think there was a long-term equilibrium solution situation last summer and still don't. If you have three top quality strikers and two spots, at least one of them is not going to be happy with the situation. This interview, and some other things I've heard, only emphasises this point.

Say we go and sign Benzema in the summer - we won't, of course - you think he or Berbatov will be happy if they're playing less minutes than the other two and regularly getting left out of the big games? Someone is going to be less than content.

In fact, I can't remember ever seeing an example of having three marquee strikers all happy at the same club. Of course, with Tevez you also have the added fact that the club made it pretty clear that they weren't going on sign him on a permanent basis...
Yes, point taken. Although I think there would be an opportunity to fit the three of them in. Will have to see what the Summer brings - if anything.

Anyway who thinks we're going to sign Benzema is living in cloud cuckoo land tbh.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

He's being let go because of Berbatov? How do you figure that out or are you just jumping to a div sized conclusion?

Given the number of games both strikers have played, and Rooney's fitness issues at times, it's pretty clear there's space for both of them. If he's going it's down to other reasons than a new face. IMO.
What I meant was Berbatov hasn't settled well, and doesn't look like he will, not in my opinion anyway, so it would be foolish to lose Tevez. I didn't mean it was Berbs fault that tevez is going.

I can see you're probably sick of Berb bashing. I'm not trying to jump on anybandwagon, I haven't been here much in the last month or two and it's just my opinion that he won't fit in. I don't like him. But I could be wrong.

I totally agree with your point about Benzema though. No chance. Shouldn't even be talked about.

Unread 22-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Crumps

Love the bloke and the way he plays but he's turned to dogshit in front of goal this year outside of the league cup and would struggle against me in the 100m (well 40m tbh). His shift against Barca at home is something I am glad I was there to see.

Top boy, thanks for everything Carlitos.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Anyway who thinks we're going to sign Benzema is living in cloud cuckoo land tbh.
I hate koppas too mate.
Closed Thread