United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
Indeed.

He made a few excellent tackles and interceptions when he came on.

Positiong poor compared to whom?
i was taking the piss

Rafael is a truly sensational talent

can't wait to see what Fabio brings to the party

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Stop trying to prove your point TT

Rafael is a special talent, the fact that Fergie is putting him in so early is testament to that. He is very instinctual in his play, not afraid to tackle or most importantly keep the ball under presssure. He will make mistakes, the first 20 mins at Celtic he was poor, but his potential is so great we can overlook them
point taken

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
i look at it with the fact that he was £#%&!ing brilliant last year when we won those pots in mind

he is far from a liability. he has come back from several career threatening injuries and still plays with total commitment

it would be nice to see some recognition and loyalty to these players

neville is a different matter, physically he won't get back to where he needs to be which will be a very sad way for the best english right back in my lifetime to peter out his career
imo he makes too many errors going back.

and makes even more errors with his pass/cross selection going forward.

plus he has an annoying knack for being really good one game, average the next and the shit after.

at least with Nevs you have someone that's either going to be GREAT or crap, nothing inbetween.

of course i recognise what Brown has done for us through the years, but for the reasons above i just don't consider him our first choice RB when everyone is fit.

the fact that an 18year old from Brazilian is pushing him for a first time slot in his first season says alot imo.

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM
celtbion

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i was taking the piss

Rafael is a truly sensational talent

can't wait to see what Fabio brings to the party

I got that boss.

I wasn't directing that question at you.

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
I got that boss.

I wasn't directing that question at you.
bonjour

my mistake

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM
goldfinger

I dunno. Maybe Nev just needs a lot of football to get back to his best, or near.

Maybe we can't afford to give him that at the moment. But he's not all that old by modern day standards + has earned the opportunity to get back to his old self, even if it does mean we take the odd hit over it.

Brown should be our number 1 choice there + unless there's something I don't know about, he's had shockingly less football than he deserves this season.

Unread 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Camel

pretty much a continuation of our game in midweek.

good game to watch, plenty of attacking football and plenty of chances, we didn't take them, the opposition did and the final score flattered them.

as for the rb situation, i wouldn't write off neville just yet, he may find some form after a few more games. but for me, wes is first choice against difficult opposition, rafael for the potentially easier games. with g.nev making a few cameos.

Unread 08-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
Knee jerk.

G.Nevs is still one of our best RB's.

i'd pick him infront of Brown any day.

Rafael just needs to improve on his defensive qualities and he'll be no1

plus it's his first season @ united, there's no way he'll start all games.

relax people.
i often wonder if people making that comment were in some kind of hibernation last season with continuity and consistency brown is superb.

neville was abysmal today, the rest of the defense not much better. lost count of how many times we gave the ball away from the back line.

Unread 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM
wonky no

a perfect example of apprentice and master. nev has got a lot to offer rafael in his education, as does wes. nev hasn't got the legs were as rafael hasn't got the experience yet. i should imagine there's a lot of communication on the training pitch. it's a pity that wes can't play on the left as o'shea isn't good enough cover for evra.

Unread 08-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Rafael was brilliant when he came on so much drive and energy. He backs that up with excellent technique and imagination in his passing. With his level of ability I wonder if he will stay a full back though.

Neville struggled badly, nasri turned him inside out and he was constantly struggling with the pace. Add to that a nervousness on the ball and he was especially targetted by Arsenal.
Amazing isn't it, the goal he scored shouldn't have come from a right back.
I reckon he'll stay a full back though unlike his brother.

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
keano's love

There was one utterly embarassing moment in first half when nasri turned neville inside out 3 times in a single move. ( bendtnar(sp?) missed the resulting cross).

Its fair to say there is so much wrong with the team that we will lose a fair few points down the line. As well give oppurtunity to rafael, possebon and fabio ( he has started to train hasn't he? ).

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Let's be frank, that situation was perfect for Rafael. He came into an extremely open game, nothing to lose at 2-0 and he could do what the £#%&! he wanted. Credit to him, he was outstanding, but he's a way off being a prem starter yet.

Ideally Wes would get fit and start the majority of games.

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Jez Quigley

Default Neville

still has a big role to play.

Wes is No1

TMNT is No2

Red Nev is No3

Remember though that barring about 6 or 7 games a season, our No3 is more than good enough. Combined with the fact that No1 is often injured sadly and No2 is only now desideshowbobbifying himself, No3 has a lot to offer us still.

G Nev deserves a bit more respect IJQHO.

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Or maybe because he's currently injured?
hes back in two weeks

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:38 AM
puressence

and for those advocating rafael as our new r/b ..ffs the lad is learning atm he has alot of work to do on his defence side of things . ffs watch the celtic game again for confirmation of this .

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
and for those advocating rafael as our new r/b ..ffs the lad is learning atm he has alot of work to do on his defence side of things . ffs watch the celtic game again for confirmation of this .
tbh he isn't making any more mistakes than neville.

watching neville against arsenal and chelsea has been nothing short of being embarassing.

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Let's be frank, that situation was perfect for Rafael. He came into an extremely open game, nothing to lose at 2-0 and he could do what the £#%&! he wanted. Credit to him, he was outstanding, but he's a way off being a prem starter yet.

Ideally Wes would get fit and start the majority of games.
True. license to attack, with very little to lose. Rafael is a tremendous game changing option but he is not quite ready for the defensive responsibilities that these big games entail.

I would have started O'Shea yesterday, Neville has looked no way ready for a game against a team with the pace tha Arsenal have and play with.

Unread 09-11-2008, 11:57 AM
puressence

amazing how our weakest defender this season vidic is not getting any slating

Unread 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
He is, learn to read.

Unread 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Gary Neville is our 'weakest defender'.

Vidic has been getting stick, and rightly so, but at least we're all sure that he'll come good again and has tremendous ability.You can't say the same about Gary Nev anymore.
Closed Thread