United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Sparky***

I couldn't believe it today when Bentdner ran Ferdinand and Rio was struggling to keep pace with him.

As much as we say we missed some sitters today, and we did, they tore us apart at times at the back. At this level it was embarassing the amount of times they had us 3 v 2 and even 4 v 2 on the break.

And the amount of ball watching that went on in the build up to their 2nd goal was criminal. You could have driven a bus through the gap in the middle of our defence. Total disorganisation.

Unread 08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Hopskipjump

Start Da silva every game ....nft

Unread 08-11-2008, 11:05 PM
wonky no

the biggest difference in last years and this years defence is brown isn't playing. i don't think vds is playing any worse than last season but like someone else said, he's not getting away with it. with brown you had a natural coverer in the centre if rio/vidic got caught out of position.

our midfield makes a difference too as carrick/hargreaves arn't/havn't been sitting deep infront of our back 4.

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
the biggest difference in last years and this years defence is brown isn't playing. i don't think vds is playing any worse than last season but like someone else said, he's not getting away with it. with brown you had a natural coverer in the centre if rio/vidic got caught out of position.

our midfield makes a difference too as carrick/hargreaves arn't/havn't been sitting deep infront of our back 4.
If Ferguson is making some sort of point to brown by dropping him then he's going to realise that we're going to have more results like this one.

Oh, and I was disappointed in fergie's post match interview. "Oh it was a fabulous game with both teams playing great football..." WTF? 8 years ago he'd have been going apeshit after a result like that.

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Whalefish

Rio looks to be carrying an injury to me.

Vidic hasn't got started yet, so I'd pull Evans in for a few games if the opportunity arises.

Wes at right back for me all day long. Rafael the next in line.

We could do with two deep lying central midfielders if we wish to persist with 4-4-2 (as the Dippers do). Anderson is a great box to box midfielder but it often leaves the other central player with a lot of ground to cover. I'm still of the opinion that he'd better deployed in a similar role to the one he played at Porto, from the left.

Kind of think we've got a bit of a soft centre. Lot of great ball playing midfielders but we need someone to get stuck in from time to time. Keane or Ince would have belted one of their midfielders into touch yesterday as the second half got under way and took a card. We just stand off these days, allow sides to play and wait for a mistake. Don't know if that Diarra or Palacios would be good options but what with Hargreaves permanently crocked it needs addressing IMO.

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

Vidic hasn't got started yet, so I'd pull Evans in for a few games if the opportunity arises.

We could do with two deep lying central midfielders if we wish to persist with 4-4-2 (as the Dippers do). Anderson is a great box to box midfielder but it often leaves the other central player with a lot of ground to cover. I'm still of the opinion that he'd better deployed in a similar role to the one he played at Porto, from the left.

Kind of think we've got a bit of a soft centre. Lot of great ball playing midfielders but we need someone to get stuck in from time to time. Keane or Ince would have belted one of their midfielders into touch yesterday as the second half got under way and took a card. We just stand off these days, allow sides to play and wait for a mistake. Don't know if that Diarra or Palacios would be good options but what with Hargreaves permanently crocked it needs addressing IMO.
Last season we'd have eaten that Arsenal team alive. Something is drastically wrong with our defence. They need to get back to basics. I think you may be right about Rio carrying an injury, something just isn't right with him.

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

what he said

mainly

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Oh, and I was disappointed in fergie's post match interview. "Oh it was a fabulous game with both teams playing great football..." WTF? 8 years ago he'd have been going apeshit after a result like that.

That was my initial reaction. Who gives a flying £#%&! if it's a great spectacle or not?

I don't even think it was a great game tbh; some very poor finishing and two very poor defences.

We made Silvestre look like Bobby Moore ffs.

Unread 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
what he said

mainly

Also think we've got a bit of a European Cup hangover this season and there doesn't appear to be the same motivation that there was last season. We're playing some nice stuff, some very good football at times, but the number of times we let teams off the hook is a real head scratcher.

Oh well, I still enjoyed the game yesterday. Roll on Tuesday.
Closed Thread