United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Argentina

Thumbs up Keane Slagging pundits off

Old one but can't find anything in the Forum.

Quote:
Roy Keane has launched an extraordinary attack on television's football pundits and revealed that he finds their work so excruciating that he would rather visit his dentist than sit on a panel of studio experts.

Roy Keane savages 'brainwashing' television pundits in defence of Arsene Wenger

The Sunderland manager accused Sky Sports of brainwashing the public as the former Manchester United captain railed against the treatment this week of his Arsenal counterpart, Arsene Wenger.

Such is Keane's disdain for the 'experts' in front of the cameras and behind microphones that he admitted he had resorted to turning off the sound on his television.

"I was asked by ITV to do the Celtic versus Manchester United game but I've done it once for Sky and never again," Keane said. "I'd rather go to the dentist.

"You're sitting there with people like Richard Keys and they're trying to sell something that's not there.

"Anytime I watch a game on television, I have to turn the commentators off. They say 'he's playing well' and I'm thinking 'no, he's not'. My advice to anyone is don't listen to the experts, Just watch the game and gather your own opinions."

Keane, who insisted he would only consider a job in TV "if I fall on hard times", said: "There was a debate about Wenger on Sky and how crazy is that? People are actually getting interviewed saying he shouldn't be doing this.

"What that man's done for English football is amazing and will be remembered in 25, 50, 100 years' time. Will those on telly yesterday be remembered for what they've achieved? None whatsoever.

"I wouldn't trust them to walk my dog. There are ex-players and ex-referees being given air-time who I wouldn't listen to in a pub. OK, there will be one or two who've done something in the game whose opinion you would take on board, but I'm on about every Tom, Dick and Harry."

Keane, whose 12-year spell at United was ended following his guest appearance on MUTV's Play the Pundit slot when he allegedly criticised team-mates, is also irritated by the pressure mounting on Tony Adams, the recently-appointed Portsmouth manager, who he will take on on Saturday at the Stadium of Light.

"Somebody said to me Tony Adams has had a tough start," Keane said. "He has had a tough start. He's played Liverpool away and a difficult game against Wigan at home. The average manager's lifespan is going down and down again.

"I keep saying hopefully managers will be given an opportunity but the way punters are getting brain-washed every week, like a debate on every night after a bad result, it's crazy.

"We're on about league tables after a week, teams losing two games and it's a crisis and that's constantly being thrown into people's faces.

"People are getting brain-washed so what you've got to do is not to get sucked into any of that nonsense and try and focus on your job, but it's hard because people take notice of what's been said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Football.html

Unread 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

He's £#%&!ing spot on. Stupid thing to say but it's true.

Unread 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Ginners

spot on as always

Unread 08-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Spiffy

I can't argue with any of that.

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
You'd like to though wouldn't ya

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
rebelcountyred

i'd love to have heard that ask the pundit thingy on mutv

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy

i'm sure you'll find something eventually

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Well said Royston

I wouldn't trust them to walk my dog -

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
wee man

absolutely spot on. Even worse than those pundits though are newspaper journalists - Woolnough, Holt, Samuel etc - people who have NEVER played the game and pontificate about how Fergie/Wenger etc should be playing different systems etc etc.

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
absolutely spot on. Even worse than those pundits though are newspaper jornalists - Woolnough, Holt, Samuel etc - people who have NEVER played the game and pontificate about how Fergie/Wenger etc should be playing different systems etc etc.
Can't argue with that at all.

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Can't argue with that at all.

this thread has gone to far

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
celtbion

I've only played park football, come from a GAA household and, £#%&! it, even my piss poor knowledge of the game would tell me that most of the pundits know less than many lads I read on INTERNET forums.

I just put it down to many of these ex footballers being thick as pig shit. They might have been able to play pro football with their wits and a decent manager but that doesn't mean they have any understanding of the game as a whole.

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
I've only played park football, come from a GAA household and, £#%&! it, even my piss poor knowledge of the game would tell me that most of the pundits know less than many lads I read on INTERNET forums.

I just put it down to many of these ex footballers being thick as pig shit. They might have been able to play pro football with their wits and a decent manager but that doesn't mean they have any understanding of the game as a whole.
don't be so £#%&!ing stupid

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
absolutely spot on. Even worse than those pundits though are newspaper journalists - Woolnough, Holt, Samuel etc - people who have NEVER played the game and pontificate about how Fergie/Wenger etc should be playing different systems etc etc.
Alan @#%&! still goes on to anyone who'll listen about how Fergie 'got it wrong' in 1999. That'll be why you're a radio commentator and Fergie's a highly successful manager then, @#%&!.

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Alan @#%&! still goes on to anyone who'll listen about how Fergie 'got it wrong' in 1999. That'll be why you're a radio commentator and Fergie's a highly successful manager then, @#%&!.
He what?!?!

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Zorg

Quote:
He what?!?!
He still reckons Fergie got his tactics all wrong in the Nou Camp in 1999.

Despite Scholes and Keane being suspended.

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM
celtbion

Quote:

To be fair, Hittzfeld always had the edge on Fergie in that respect. He's always relied to a degree on getting the squad right and that, with the right motivation, the cream will rise to the top over the course of the season.

That's why the loss of Queiroz is keenly felt.

I think we looked a little like a rabble there at the end today.

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Fat Al

Quote:

Can you remember when/where he said this?

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
To be fair, Hittzfeld always had the edge on Fergie in that respect. He's always relied to a degree on getting the squad right and that, with the right motivation, the cream will rise to the top over the course of the season.

That's why the loss of Queiroz is keenly felt.

I think we looked a little like a rabble there at the end today.
think the substitutions were the reason for that, that plus the fact we were throwing everyone forward seeking the equaliser, rafael for neville worked, giggs on for anderson certainly didn't and i would have left wayne on and taken off park and played pepperani head instead.

Unread 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
There are ex-players and ex-referees being given air-time who I wouldn't listen to in a pub.

the audience are well and truly hooked, though

Sky's subscribers keep on paying

newspapers keep getting bought etc
Closed Thread