Serenity Now

Default Diego Maradona is the new manager of Argentina

Not officially confirmed yet, but as good as. Should be interesting

Unread 28-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Ed Sullivan

that's the equivalent of Eric being our manager x 100000000

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:00 PM
dunk

That is a shock. Diego has never struck me as management material.

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:01 PM
SilverSurfer

"According to reports, AFA president Julio Grondona will offer Diego Maradona to be the assistant coach of the Argentine national team, while Carlos Bianchi will become the head coach. However, it is unknown whether both personalities will accept the proposition..."

Do they get on?

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Grimson

It won't work. He's a legend, but even if the team perform for him (and with the amount of talent Argentina have, they certainly should), and even when sober and clean, I doubt he is capable of all the administrative things a national manager has to do, he's never worked well as a subordinate (in this case, to the AFA, with whom he had a major falling out while working for Boca), and there's the small matter of little successful managerial experience.

It should be fun to watch tho.

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Serenity Now

I don't think Bianchi will be involved. Word in Argentina is that it will be the big nosed one himself instead, 1986 World Cup winning manager Carlos Bilardo. Maradona won't be the assistant either, he'll be the main man - el director técnico.

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Smeggs

best player ever.

it's not like being a club manager at all so it could even work. hope he's a massive success.

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
It won't work. He's a legend, but even if the team perform for him (and with the amount of talent Argentina have, they certainly should), and even when sober and clean, I doubt he is capable of all the administrative things a national manager has to do, he's never worked well as a subordinate (in this case, to the AFA, with whom he had a major falling out while working for Boca), and there's the small matter of little successful managerial experience.
The idea seems to be that Bilardo will handle a lot of the administrative stuff. Don't think it will work either, mind, but it should definitely be fun to watch, as you say.

Doesn't look like El Virrey will ever get a shot now. Certainly not when Grondona is in charge, at least

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Grimson

Well if Bilardo handles the administrative stuff, and it's just a matter of Diego picking the team, it could work. He surely can't do worse than Peckerman.

Unread 28-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Doesn't look like El Virrey will ever get a shot now. Certainly not when Grondona is in charge, at least
What's the history behind that?

Unread 28-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
What's the history behind that?
Grondona is known to be very bitter about the shininess of Bianchi's head.

Unread 29-10-2008, 01:35 AM
rubbernecker

Can't wait to hear what the Iglesia Maradoniana have to say

If he can nick a cup from somewhere he'll be odds on for El Presidente

Unread 29-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Argentina

He's not. But I am looking for a new manager.

Unread 29-10-2008, 01:56 AM
shadowplay

Confirmed

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...ional_Team_Job

Unread 29-10-2008, 02:00 AM
koppas

He will get sacked within a year. Probably drug related.

YHIHF.

Unread 29-10-2008, 02:30 AM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
He will get sacked within a year. Probably drug related.

YHIHF.
No chance, £#%&!in legend and will do the business for Argentina.

Unread 29-10-2008, 10:03 AM
The Watcher

Got a text last night from a mate telling me this - thought it was a wind up

Diego is an absolute hero of mine - I really hope Argentina win the next World Cup now! Well, if he's still in charge by then

Unread 29-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Smeggs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvicker...onas_time.html

tim vickery on the appointment.

Unread 29-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Baron

Surely someone at the AFA will understand that with basically zero actual management experience they should structure the role so all he has to do is look after the team. Players, formations, motivation... there's £#%&! all you can realistically do with coaching them given the tiny amount of time they get with the players so just putting the right players in the right formation & getting them suitably motivated (simplified a smidge I know... ) should be the great mans forté.

Messi, Kun & Tevez all lining up together

Unread 29-10-2008, 10:52 AM
armchair

He's a god in Argentina though isn't he? Everyone but him will get the blame if things go wrong.
Closed Thread