United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-03-2021, 08:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Is it not possible to simply want Ole to succeed but lament his mistakes because they make his - and our - success less likely? All this talk of other teams and previous managers is irrelevant and cloud the issue, which is probably the point tbh.
Of course it is.

But the trouble is, that's not what most of his detractors (on here and elsewhere) actually do.

Unread 06-03-2021, 10:36 AM
92ToBury

We’re skint. He’s the best man in place right now. Anyone else coming in is still going to have £#%&! all to spend so it saves setting false expectations.

Unread 06-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
We’re skint. He’s the best man in place right now. Anyone else coming in is still going to have £#%&! all to spend so it saves setting false expectations.
He's the man in place now.

Whether he's the best man to be in place is a whole different argument.

Unread 06-03-2021, 11:29 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He's the man in place now.

Whether he's the best man to be in place is a whole different argument.
I feel like I always ask this so apologies but who would you bring in? The viable alternative at one point seemed like Pochettino, but that ship has obviously sailed. Have to stick the season out with Ole, surely.

Unread 06-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I feel like I always ask this so apologies but who would you bring in? The viable alternative at one point seemed like Pochettino, but that ship has obviously sailed. Have to stick the season out with Ole, surely.
It isn't my job to identify alternatives, thankfully. Didnt say I would sack him during the season anyway.

I think most acknowledge that he is going to have to spend significant sums of money to improve this team. If people are arguing we have no money and he is therefore the best man to stay in the job, I'd argue he isn't. As I havent seen much evidence of top coaching that is going to improve or get the best out of the players here. Many of the same issues are here from Mourinho and LVG. Relatively defensive approaches, failure to create chances and score goals, idiocy in defence, piss poor passing and no real style of play other than trying to counter.

Unread 06-03-2021, 11:52 AM
Ronny

Perhaps that’s because our first team coach’s are Carrick and McKenna, we already know Phelan ouldnt keep Hull up.
Coaching the players is not necessarily the managers job, Ole is doing well enough but the coaches must show improvement.

Unread 06-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny
Perhaps that’s because our first team coach’s are Carrick and McKenna, we already know Phelan ouldnt keep Hull up.
Coaching the players is not necessarily the managers job, Ole is doing well enough but the coaches must show improvement.
Whose fault is that then ffs

The manager takes responsibility for performances on the pitch. If his coaches clearly aren't up to standard, replace them. Or get sacked as a result.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:03 PM
utd99

Managers are overrated.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Ronny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Whose fault is that then ffs

The manager takes responsibility for performances on the pitch. If his coaches clearly aren't up to standard, replace them. Or get sacked as a result.
Rightly he will not make changes this late in the season, but the coaching shortcomings were evident last season.
Ole is loyal and avoids knee jerk descions but I’m sure he realises Our continuing poor approach play and defensive disorganisation mean he must strengthen his team.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Rightly he will not make changes this late in the season, but the coaching shortcomings were evident last season.
Ole is loyal and avoids knee jerk descions but I’m sure he realises Our poor approach play and defensive disorganisation mean he must strengthen his team.
I wouldn't hold your breath tbh.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:08 PM
puressence

Guess what klopp couldn’t keep Mainz up

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:09 PM
Ronny

It frustrating I know, it seems so easy a fix, but Ole is the nearest thing to another Fergie for us we must keep faith in him.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:10 PM
Coracao

Quote:
It frustrating I know, it seems so easy a fix, but Ole is the nearest thing to another Fergie for us we must keep faith in him.
I must have entered an alternate reality now.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:10 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Not seeing this at all. Not a criticism of Ole, but he's nothing like him

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Definitely one of the strangest things posted on here.

And we've had Magic's pindick and Sudo.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:13 PM
believe

Quote:

Ftr, it’s no criticism of Ole to say he’s absolutely nothing like Sir Mother£#%&!er

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Ronny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
It was a lazy assertion I admit and one I will not try to defend in detail.
But if you refuse to see the overall progress and restoration of pride of the club achieved since Mou you are being disingenuous.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:23 PM
utd99

Quote:
But if you refuse to see the overall progress and restoration of pride of the club achieved since Mou you are being disingenuous.
Much of what Fergie accomplished was down to his force of personality and how he applied it. I don’t think anyone else comes close. Mourinho tries, but only ends up looking small, petty and spiteful.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:27 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Literally anyone post-Moy would have lifted spirits.

But in terms of personality and managerial attributes Ole is nothing like Fergie. In fairness, very few are.

Unread 06-03-2021, 12:32 PM
Ronny

Ole and Utd are in a far weaker position than when Fergie arrived.
Ole is hamstrung by years of mismatched squad building and an utter #@&%! of a chief exec, under the circumstances I wonder what you imagine Fergie would have been able to do differently?
Closed Thread