United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 29-08-2013, 12:12 PM
WarwickRoad

Cheers Ziggy ... 40 minutes of brilliant memories. I appreciate all the had work you have put into these compilations.

I am one of the fortunate ones who grew up watching these three play, although not quite old enough to see them pre-1968. Amazing to think how few trophies the three of them actually won - but that never seemed to be the be-all and end-all of United in the 60s. Entertainment, pure entertainment for the masses.

Thank you.

Unread 29-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Scabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Just read this Bestie story a few mins ago...

Lovely.

Unread 29-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Tiberian

The Charlton vid is incredible Incredible shooting power off both feet, great weight of pass, excellent finisher, but could run with the ball with skill and power, great athlete, such a rounded footballer.

I never knew he had that dribbling ability.

Unread 29-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Serenity Now

Sure I'd commented on this before. In any case, the videos are outstanding. Amongst the best I've seen from that era. Every self-respecting United fan should, in particular, watch the Charlton one.

Unread 29-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

think the charlton one shows that fancy dan skillz flicks and tricks might be the modern Linekeresque gauge of what great technique is, but actually it's the cantona definition that is the truth: technique is passing, heading, shooting, tackling, dribbling...

Unread 30-08-2013, 08:15 PM
bicyclerepairman

charlton was definitely a far better player than messi is. put them side by side and compare.
personally i don't 'get' all this admiration for messi at all. most of his goals are tap ins really.
ronaldo on the other hand can change games by himself. although he is right up himself.

Unread 08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
S/Side.Red

Can't get over how Charlton can be that two-footed. Passing and placing shots off either foot with such precision

Unread 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Neo

I watched the full re-run of the United vs Villa 1957 FA Cup Final not long ago; I think I put the link in the United Gold thread somewhere, too.

Anyway, that was the first time that I really noticed how good a dribbler Charlton was. He played central midfield and was just gliding past players with ease. He would only have been 19 at the time as well.

Incredible player, and it really drives home how good Duncan Edwards must have been if he was supposedly a vastly superior player to Charlton, who is arguably the greatest English player of all time.

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Can't get over how Charlton can be that two-footed. Passing and placing shots off either foot with such precision
It's very clear watching the 1957 FA Cup Final that Charlton used his natural left foot a lot more then but by the mid-60s he was completely two footed as a player

It's a pity YouTube don't have good editing facilities or allow you to upload an updated version of a video without losing the views and the comments as I have a lot more Utd matches now from the 60s than I did when I made that Charlton video comp
I could have added 4 or 5 mins of amazing play by Charlton

After finishing the Holy Trinity and Paddy Crerand & David Herd video compilations I am currently working on video compilations for Nobby Stiles, Alex Stepney, Brian Kidd and Willie Morgan
I only work on them every now and then so should be finished in a couple of months

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
It's very clear watching the 1957 FA Cup Final that Charlton used his natural left foot a lot more then but by the mid-60s he was completely two footed as a player

It's a pity YouTube don't have good editing facilities or allow you to upload an updated version of a video without losing the views and the comments as I have a lot more Utd matches now from the 60s than I did when I made that Charlton video comp
I could have added 4 or 5 mins of amazing play by Charlton

After finishing the Holy Trinity and Paddy Crerand & David Herd video compilations I am currently working on video compilations for Nobby Stiles, Alex Stepney, Brian Kidd and Willie Morgan
I only work on them every now and then so should be finished in a couple of months
They deserve (and will surely get) a lot more views, mate. Brilliant stuff.

edit - Everyone with a YT account needs to 'like' the videos, btw

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
They deserve (and will surely get) a lot more views, mate. Brilliant stuff.
Totally agree brilliant work

As I've said before - 'reds' who bag Charlton should

A ) get an understanding of just what a player he was

B ) try and comprehend what the bloke went through as a young man, and what he then went onto achieve as a player

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Totally agree brilliant work

As I've said before - 'reds' who bag Charlton should

A ) get an understanding of just what a player he was

B ) try and comprehend what the bloke went through as a young man, and what he then went onto achieve as a player
I know some might find it silly, but I really don't want Rooney to take his record

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:58 PM
bicyclerepairman

i'd prefer if he didn't too, although if he does its not the end of the world. it's just that people in the future may look back and think rooney and giggs for that matter were better than charlton.

Unread 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM
red in cumbria

Giggs isn't that far off, tbh.

Unread 08-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Giggs isn't that far off, tbh.

Unread 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM
chooch

Quality stuff.

Unread 08-09-2013, 08:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I think saying he "isn't far off" is admitting Charlton *was* better, and thus fair comment. IMO, as ever

Unread 08-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
I strongly believe that the basic technical skills of top-level footballers have declined in recent decades. Back in the day, kids didn't have televisions and games consoles to keep them inside and they were largely left to play outside on their own: no sprawling suburbs to keep them apart, little traffic to get in the way, and no parents terrified to let their children out of their sight. This meant endless unsupervised games on the streets, in the courtyards, in the parks: the perfect way to develop fundamental skills, particularly close ball control, and improvisation.

And without the huge wealth and success that top players enjoy today almost as a right, often before they've even kicked a ball in anger, footballers were also willing to work a lot harder to progress as players. For instance, as a teenager, Charlton would practise in the park for something like ten hours a day! At United, he'd spend an hour plus a day just kicking a ball against the wall with his left foot; he even did training sessions with a slipper on his right foot to force himself to use his left! Charlton, admittedly, was somewhat exceptional even then, but you hear these kinds of stories all the time. There are still players who'll put in a lot of extra work, Ronaldo and Beckham spring readily to mind at United, but today they're noted for it; back then it was expected.

Unread 09-09-2013, 02:02 AM
bicyclerepairman

something i've noticed a lot more lately are players crossing the ball with their stronger leg even though they should of used their weaker leg instead.
from where they were on the field it was obvious which leg to cross with but they didn't even try and therefore £#%&!ed the cross.
you see it on the edge of the area too.
great scoring chance goes begging because they cannot use their weaker leg. so they end up taking one step too many just to get it on their stronger side.

i've always said that at training the players should have a short game where everyone has to use their weaker leg, all the time.
i would do this every single day.
then drill crosses with the 'wrong' foot.
it doesn't take long for a player to feel comfortable using it.
thats what i did and while my left isn't as strong as my right, its not that far behind.
i cannot believe how small the number of two-footed players is these days.

Unread 09-09-2013, 04:42 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches