United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Jack Duckworth

the arse-seeing on here when we go 1 down to watford

Unread 28-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Stickman

least we can have an Ole has to be sacked TONIGHT thread now.

Unread 29-03-2019, 08:15 AM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Who’s moaning barney ffs
So you've not read the thread then?

Unread 29-03-2019, 08:52 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
So you've not read the thread then?
no interest

Unread 29-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Woody out is the start.

Only useful thing lvg said in his interview is that the club is not a football focused club anymore. That's on woodward.

Sorry Saffers, mate. Changes nothing. Woowoo is merely a puppet and if he goes, they just put another puppet in his place.

Glazers are the problem.

Since they took over:

A) we’ve taken on massive debt: still there.

B) Owen, Valencia replacing Ronaldo: tip of the iceberg. No value. Still.

C) Stadium development, which has led the way since early 60s come to a standstill.

Sponsors paying off their US projects.

Ole will be dancing to their tune soon enough. Poison brought on the club by Edwards.

Unread 29-03-2019, 12:44 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Sorry Saffers, mate. Changes nothing. Woowoo is merely a puppet and if he goes, they just put another puppet in his place.

Glazers are the problem.

Since they took over:

A) we’ve taken on massive debt: still there.

B) Owen, Valencia replacing Ronaldo: tip of the iceberg. No value. Still.

C) Stadium development, which has led the way since early 60s come to a standstill.

Sponsors paying off their US projects.

Ole will be dancing to their tune soon enough. Poison brought on the club by Edwards.
All of this. And there is £#%&! all point getting wound up about it because it isn't going to change. This is why we need a manager that can roll with it and get the best out of the resources he has available.

In the market there will be players we should buy but can't due to how they need to be paid for, and more expensive players we can buy for the same reasons. It's £#%&!ing stupid, but it's how the finances have to be managed. We're nowhere near as wealthy as they'd like us to believe. This is why we need to be ruthlessly efficient on the scouting side and get in early for players and be patient. It's going to take time..

Unread 29-03-2019, 01:06 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
All of this. And there is £#%&! all point getting wound up about it because it isn't going to change. This is why we need a manager that can roll with it and get the best out of the resources he has available.

In the market there will be players we should buy but can't due to how they need to be paid for, and more expensive players we can buy for the same reasons. It's £#%&!ing stupid, but it's how the finances have to be managed. We're nowhere near as wealthy as they'd like us to believe. This is why we need to be ruthlessly efficient on the scouting side and get in early for players and be patient. It's going to take time..
A CEO that doesn’t think he knows better than a manger and likes to sign marquee vanity signings would be good too tbf...

I agree that Woodward is just the glazers lackey, totally get that. But it would be a nice change to have a glazer lackey that doesn’t treat us as some kind of football manager save and let’s the people who know more about football run that side of things.

I agree it’ll take time and I’m prepared for the ups and downs. The worry is the people making the decisions at the club aren’t prepared for that and history has shown they’re not afraid to go a completely different route over night to the one we seem to be on at the moment.

Unread 29-03-2019, 01:24 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
A CEO that doesn’t think he knows better than a manger and likes to sign marquee vanity signings would be good too tbf...

I agree that Woodward is just the glazers lackey, totally get that. But it would be a nice change to have a glazer lackey that doesn’t treat us as some kind of football manager save and let’s the people who know more about football run that side of things.

I agree it’ll take time and I’m prepared for the ups and downs. The worry is the people making the decisions at the club aren’t prepared for that and history has shown they’re not afraid to go a completely different route over night to the one we seem to be on at the moment.
From an investment, spending the company money and the future of the club pov, he was absolutely right not to buy Perisic, Boateng, Alderweireld or whoever else he vetoed, if it was even him that said no.

The club has been hemorrhaging money since Fergie finished and very little of it has been spent wisely, clearly the bean counters have noticed the trend with regards to the profile of player (age, potential playing years, and like it or not, potential re-sale value) and decided we've done a shit job of picking good signings and told the manager to have a re-think. Whether you like it or not, the club is a business and signings like Schweinsteiger, Sanchez etc. were not good business, so they have a fair point.

Clubs put a value on players they want to buy, they factor in age, years left at the top, how important they are to the team etc. to determine whether or not they are worth signing, they just determined there was a price they were willing to pay for the players and the selling clubs wanted more, so they didn't buy them. Fair enough, if frustrating for us, because we don't give a shit about money, we just want the players.

Unread 29-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Buck

Thumbs up

Quote:
From an investment, spending the company money and the future of the club pov, he was absolutely right not to buy Perisic, Boateng, Alderweireld or whoever else he vetoed, if it was even him that said no.

The club has been hemorrhaging money since Fergie finished and very little of it has been spent wisely, clearly the bean counters have noticed the trend with regards to the profile of player (age, potential playing years, and like it or not, potential re-sale value) and decided we've done a shit job of picking good signings and told the manager to have a re-think. Whether you like it or not, the club is a business and signings like Schweinsteiger, Sanchez etc. were not good business, so they have a fair point.

Clubs put a value on players they want to buy, they factor in age, years left at the top, how important they are to the team etc. to determine whether or not they are worth signing, they just determined there was a price they were willing to pay for the players and the selling clubs wanted more, so they didn't buy them. Fair enough, if frustrating for us, because we don't give a shit about money, we just want the players.
Well said

Unread 29-03-2019, 01:39 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Great post, pal.

Unread 29-03-2019, 01:46 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:

Unread 29-03-2019, 01:55 PM
AK14

Quote:

And yet here we are with our fourth manger in six years and another manger being allowed to spend millions on a rebuild.

Would you be surprised if we signed Gareth Bale this summer? I Can’t imagine Ole wanting him, but would Ed be able to resist?

Until there’s any kind of evidence we’ve changed how we’re operating I’ve only got the previous six years to judge how the club is run and the one constant in that is Woodward.

This is a man who has overseen the club signing a shit load of players for hundreds of millions, selected three very different managers, sacked one of them after giving him a new contract months before, sacked another the day we won the fa cup. His record over the last six years has proven he should not be making footballing decisions over certain people at the club.

Of course he’s here to stay, but for many it would be nice to have a footballing structure around or below him.

Edit-

Should say I agree with what you’re saying dunk, but until there is evidence we’ve changed the way we operate I’ll still have my doubts over how we’re run and whether anything will actually change.

Unread 29-03-2019, 02:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
And yet here we are with our fourth manger in six years and another manger being allowed to spend millions on a rebuild.

Would you be surprised if we signed Gareth Bale this summer? I Can’t imagine Ole wanting him, but would Ed be able to resist?

Until there’s any kind of evidence we’ve changed how we’re operating I’ve only got the previous six years to judge how the club is run and the one constant in that is Woodward.

This is a man who has overseen the club signing a shit load of players for hundreds of millions, selected three very different managers, sacked one of them after giving him a new contract months before, sacked another the day we won the fa cup. His record over the last six years has proven he should not be making footballing decisions over certain people at the club.

Of course he’s here to stay, but for many it would be nice to have a footballing structure around or below him.

Edit-

Should say I agree with what you’re saying dunk, but until there is evidence we’ve changed the way we operate I’ll still have my doubts over how we’re run and whether anything will actually change.
Honestly think they've been trying to back the manager within the spending constraints they don't want to admit to, and obviously availability of the players the managers have requested (Bale, Muller, Fabregas and whichever other ridiculous name you care to mention) and seen a few turkey's that made them question that.. then we signed Sanchez and the camel's back was well and truly broken and they've had a re-think. We've had 2 windows since Sanchez and signed Dalot and Fred. I reckon the transfer strategy has been fleshed out far more now and Ole will be operating with more parameters for his signings rather than 'whoever you want mate, as long as the club agrees to our terms..'

Unread 29-03-2019, 02:52 PM
AK14

Quote:
Honestly think they've been trying to back the manager within the spending constraints they don't want to admit to, and obviously availability of the players the managers have requested (Bale, Muller, Fabregas and whichever other ridiculous name you care to mention) and seen a few turkey's that made them question that.. then we signed Sanchez and the camel's back was well and truly broken and they've had a re-think. We've had 2 windows since Sanchez and signed Dalot and Fred. I reckon the transfer strategy has been fleshed out far more now and Ole will be operating with more parameters for his signings rather than 'whoever you want mate, as long as the club agrees to our terms..'
Time will tell, but like I say I have my doubts and wouldn’t be surprised to see the board overrule Ole and make a vanity signing. The lack of signings last season was more down to Woodward creating an environment that he’d hoped would make Jose quit, which he didn’t obviously.

We've allowed three different managers over the last six years re build the squad in their vision. That me is down to the people above the manager who run the club and they are responsible for the mess we’ve been in more than any manger or player because they have allowed it to happen.

It’s not about money spent or net spend etc for me it’s the the scatter gun approach we’ve had in the transfer market over the last six years with no clear plan other than ‘marketability’ (Woodward mentioning the Sanchez deal creating more social media noise than the neymar one )

You had the former scout (lawlor was it?) saying that the club were told about the likes of De Ligt and De Jong years ago but did nothing about it. Now obviously we can’t sign every kid with talent that the scouts recommend, but you’d hope with the right structure in place we’d be able to make exciting signings without spending record fees etc?

The Sanchez deal was ridiculous and again a part the blame should be on Woodward (and who ever else making the decisions) for allowing such a deal to happen. Now we’re being held to ransom by valuable players or risk losing them because the wage structure is shot to bits, if anything shows how poorly we’re run as a business it’s that tbf.

Unread 29-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
least we can have an Ole has to be sacked TONIGHT thread now.
Already started one

Unread 29-03-2019, 03:00 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
It’s not about money spent or net spend etc for me it’s the the scatter gun approach we’ve had in the transfer market over the last six years with no clear plan other than ‘marketability’ (Woodward mentioning the Sanchez deal creating more social media noise than the neymar one )
For the wrong reasons you silly @#%&! (Woodward, not you).

Unread 29-03-2019, 03:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
Time will tell, but like I say I have my doubts and wouldn’t be surprised to see the board overrule Ole and make a vanity signing. The lack of signings last season was more down to Woodward creating an environment that he’d hoped would make Jose quit, which he didn’t obviously.

We've allowed three different managers over the last six years re build the squad in their vision. That me is down to the people above the manager who run the club and they are responsible for the mess we’ve been in more than any manger or player because they have allowed it to happen.

You had the former scout (lawlor was it?) saying that the club were told about the likes of De Ligt and De Jong years ago but did nothing about it. Now obviously we can’t sign every kid with talent that the scouts recommend, but you’d hope with the right structure in place we’d be able to make exciting signings without spending record fees etc?

The Sanchez deal was ridiculous and again a part the blame should be on Woodward (and who ever else making the decisions) for allowing such a deal to happen. Now we’re being held to ransom by valuable players or risk losing them because the wage structure is shot to bits, if anything shows how poorly we’re run as a business it’s that tbf.
Don't disagree with any of that. I hate signing huge, established names anyway as a rule and I've been bitching about the scouting and narrow mindedness of the transfer policy for years. The club seem, and have always seemed tbf, to not want a huge player turnover, so shy away from overloading on talent in the fear it will push others out or those they sign won't make it I wonder how many potential Worldies we didn't bother with because Ashley Young still had miles on the clock for instance. Family club and all that. They look after loyal players..

Seems £#%&!ing stupid btw, but the club are still learning how to run themselves in the modern World. Fergie's principals are still rife, and even more so now with Ole at the Wheel, but they don't necessarily tie in with the modern game without his nous and gravitas, I suppose. Hopefully Ole can bridge the gap and bring the clubs thinking into a more stable and modern mindset

Unread 29-03-2019, 03:39 PM
AK14

Quote:
Don't disagree with any of that. I hate signing huge, established names anyway as a rule and I've been bitching about the scouting and narrow mindedness of the transfer policy for years. The club seem, and have always seemed tbf, to not want a huge player turnover, so shy away from overloading on talent in the fear it will push others out or those they sign won't make it I wonder how many potential Worldies we didn't bother with because Ashley Young still had miles on the clock for instance. Family club and all that. They look after loyal players..

Seems £#%&!ing stupid btw, but the club are still learning how to run themselves in the modern World. Fergie's principals are still rife, and even more so now with Ole at the Wheel, but they don't necessarily tie in with the modern game without his nous and gravitas, I suppose. Hopefully Ole can bridge the gap and bring the clubs thinking into a more stable and modern mindset

Totally agree.

It’s why I’d like the club look at the structure of the footballing side. Get some sort of continuity so we don’t end up with managers with completely different philosophies spending hundreds of millions on players etc like we’ve seen in recent years.

Talk of a technical director coming in and working along side Ole now..

I’m all for it, let’s move the club into the present time and build something behind the scene that allows Ole to concerntrate on getting the best out of the players.

Unread 29-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
It’s also why we need to replace woodward with someone more skilled at handling such resources and the challenges it brings on the football side. Employing someone who wasn’t so wasteful in using the resources made available during negotiations, and someone who is more skilled in handling the manager when there’s unwelcome news to deliver would make a difference. Unless you think no-one could do a better job than Woodward under the terms laid down by the owners. Woodward may be a puppet, but a more skilled puppet would make a difference.

Unread 29-03-2019, 06:48 PM
windy waffles

How many times - Woodward is going nowhere ffs.
Closed Thread