United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Mr_Ed

Default Rooney Rule

What are your thoughts people?

at least one BAME (black, Asian, minority ethnic) candidate will be interviewed to be the next England manager after Gareth Southgate.

Now in principle it sound good and I don’t have a problem with it but, in certain circumstances, will they be interviewing to put a tick in the box rather than on the quality of candidate? To be fair you could based on thecshit quality of English managers these days..,

Unread 09-01-2018, 10:18 PM
TheFatGoth

Just hire the best person for the job

How many top level black English managers are there currently? So on the likely assumption that England need a new manager in August - what if no BAMEs apply? Do they have to start sending out invites to Hughton, Keith Curle, Paul Ince etc. Just so they can tick a box?

Unread 09-01-2018, 10:19 PM
thatsfuctit

Get Garth in

Unread 09-01-2018, 10:22 PM
flixton

Chris Houghton going to be spending a lot of time at interviews.

Unread 09-01-2018, 10:24 PM
Ethers

Great news for Giggs tbf

Unread 09-01-2018, 11:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

How many top level black English managers are there currently? So on the likely assumption that England need a new manager in August - what if no BAMEs apply? Do they have to start sending out invites to Hughton, Keith Curle, Paul Ince etc. Just so they can tick a box?
Yes.

Not sure why that bothers people, either.

Unread 10-01-2018, 02:23 AM
Lok

Anyone with half a brain cell can see that something fundamentally wrong is going on.

Are we really to only white people can't manage football teams? And to such a degree that white managers should out-number non-white by what seems like about 99-1? You'd have to be pretty racist to think that is right, especially when you look at who is playing the game.

The amount of non-white managers is shocking and it's great that the FA are doing something about it.

If it's just for the England job then it's pointless, it'll just mean Hughton gets an interview but doesn't get the job. If it filters down to all clubs then it will help.

I doubt very many chairman would have too much issue appointing non-white managers. All that matters to most of them is that the team performs and they keep getting the TV money. So the problem is a lot deeper than just presenting opportunities.

Unread 10-01-2018, 03:43 AM
ScarFace

Do it for keepers.

Unread 10-01-2018, 04:11 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yes.

Not sure why that bothers people, either.
Yep. As our American friends would say, it’s a no-brainer.

Would have to question anyone who thinks it’s a bad idea

Unread 10-01-2018, 04:26 AM
My Name is Heath

By minority ethnic do they mean relating to just England?

I mean on the world scale 20% of folk are Chinese and 20% Indian so white people are numerically in a minority I’d have said?

It’s all very confusing.

I think it’s also a bit sexist. Why exclude 50% of the world from this role? Women can be surgeons, astronauts, geologists. Why can’t they manage 11multi millionaires and advise to put it in the mixer etc.?

Unread 10-01-2018, 04:40 AM
Stickman

for clarity, if theres one asian applicant and its Jackie Chan do they interview him?

Unread 10-01-2018, 05:36 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
By minority ethnic do they mean relating to just England?

I mean on the world scale 20% of folk are Chinese and 20% Indian so white people are numerically in a minority I’d have said?

It’s all very confusing.

I think it’s also a bit sexist. Why exclude 50% of the world from this role? Women can be surgeons, astronauts, geologists. Why can’t they manage 11multi millionaires and advise to put it in the mixer etc.?
And dont forget the disabled......have to have someone with no legs interviewed

And the gays will be up in arms if one of the candidates isn't gay......so of course we have to have another one who isn't sure which gender they are too, just so as we're not discriminating

better have a vegetarian AND a vegan apply as well.

One smoker and one non smoker......one brexiter and one remoaner

One from each major and minor religion

Oh.....and one OAP....cant be ageist ffs.....so I suppose a YTS for balance too

Have we covered everybody ?

Unread 10-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Anyone with half a brain cell can see that something fundamentally wrong is going on.

Are we really to only white people can't manage football teams? And to such a degree that white managers should out-number non-white by what seems like about 99-1? You'd have to be pretty racist to think that is right, especially when you look at who is playing the game.

The amount of non-white managers is shocking and it's great that the FA are doing something about it.

If it's just for the England job then it's pointless, it'll just mean Hughton gets an interview but doesn't get the job. If it filters down to all clubs then it will help.

I doubt very many chairman would have too much issue appointing non-white managers. All that matters to most of them is that the team performs and they keep getting the TV money. So the problem is a lot deeper than just presenting opportunities.
All well & good but this rule should apply more at grass roots & lower league level initially . The idea is to get more ethnic, lets be honest, more black, managers into managerial positions but like everybody else they need to start at the bottom & prove themselves. its just a farce if the FA interview a candidate just because he is black.

Unread 10-01-2018, 07:29 AM
My Name is Heath

Can’t wait for Jesse Lingard to start sweeping up manager of the month awards

Unread 10-01-2018, 07:38 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
All well & good but this rule should apply more at grass roots & lower league level initially . The idea is to get more ethnic, lets be honest, more black, managers into managerial positions but like everybody else they need to start at the bottom & prove themselves. its just a farce if the FA interview a candidate just because he is black.
You can’t control that, though. If clubs want to hire inexperienced young managers then they will do so. What you can try to control is a sense of equal oppprtunity, which is what this is about.

Unread 10-01-2018, 07:44 AM
Mr_Ed

I agree that at grass roots then ethnicity should be encouraged - I’m all for that. However straight at the top level seems a bit of a token gesture.

If Pep was black, white, Brian, yellow, had one leg and bisexual he’d still get the top jobs regardless

Unread 10-01-2018, 07:47 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

i remembers back in the 90s wondering why there were so few asian footballers. South asian specifically. Wasn't worried about far east, they weren't really sporty, but the UK was full of south asians.
Now you can't swing a cat without hitting one.
Were they held back? or had their communities not yet acclimatised to british culture?
What black or asian manager has been held back? if they're good enough, they'll get the job imo. this is not america.

Unread 10-01-2018, 07:50 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
i remembers back in the 90s wondering why there were so few asian footballers. South asian specifically. Wasn't worried about far east, they were really sporty, but the UK was full of south asians.
Now you can't swing a cat without hitting one.
Were they held back? or had their communities not yet acclimatised to british culture?
What black or asian manager has been held back? if they're good enough, they'll get the job imo. this is not america.
You know why Pakistan never do well?

Every time they get a corner they open a load of counter attacking opportunities for he Opposition due to their tendency to put too many players in the box and leave themselves open to conceding a goal on the break.
Once they get that sorted and tighten up defensively there's no reason they can't climb up the world rankings imho.

Unread 10-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Bunker Buster

Why is it the Rooney rule ?

Unread 10-01-2018, 07:53 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Why is it the Rooney rule ?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule
Closed Thread