United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-02-2023, 11:54 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
I'd rather have the bloke who'll buy Bryan Robson without batting an eyelid.
I've read that twice. Still makes no sense.

Bryan Robson is 66 and probably not available to buy.

You'd like United to be owned by a 'state'? A 'state' with a complete disregard for human rights?

Unread 17-02-2023, 11:58 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
This. Baffled people don't understand.
It's the 'can't imagine anyone worse than (a) Qatar(i) taking over us' bit. How can it not be an exponentially better situation to have a rich custodian owning and investing in the club, than a bunch of parasites taking what they can out of it?

I don't know much about the background of Radcliffe, TBF, but sure, it would be nice to have a 'local' and very wealthy owner, who is a lifelong fan of the club at the helm, doing a load of altruistic things for our/the game's benefit But given that the Glazer's will sell to the whoever offers the most the cash, then (it would seem) the Qatari's are in pole position.

It's not like we have choice or a say in the matter. Qatar over Glazer, end of.

Unread 18-02-2023, 12:16 AM
tatty

Ratcliffe is going to be relying on financing.

We've had almost 20 years of that already.

Unread 18-02-2023, 12:19 AM
jesper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Ratcliffe is going to be relying on financing.

We've had almost 20 years of that already.
He owns 60% of Ineos which makes profits of £2bn+ a year. He's worth over £25bn personally, he can afford it. The financing is for liquidity, completely different to the Glazers.

Unread 18-02-2023, 01:27 AM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper
He owns 60% of Ineos which makes profits of £2bn+ a year. He's worth over £25bn personally, he can afford it. The financing is for liquidity, completely different to the Glazers.
I haven't seen one source say he worth that.

In fact was just reading this in The Athletic earlier:

Quote:
Ratcliffe is a petrochemicals billionaire and one of Britain’s richest people.

His INEOS company has annual revenues of $65billion (£54bn) and Ratcliffe’s own net worth is £6.1bn, according to the 2022 Sunday Times Rich List.
Maybe if he was worth £25bn he would be financing the deal himself rather than going to American banks for capital.

Unread 18-02-2023, 02:38 AM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
I haven't seen one source say he worth that.

In fact was just reading this in The Athletic earlier:

Maybe if he was worth £25bn he would be financing the deal himself rather than going to American banks for capital.
INEOS is well able to afford the payments. Having said that, the fact that they are a commercial entity that has responsibilities to shareholders means they aren't likely to win any pissing contest with Qatar. We'll see whether there's any other bidders that can compete but given it's not about money for Qatar it's hard to imagine they'll be beaten.

Unread 18-02-2023, 03:30 AM
marlo

doesn’t jimbo own nice football club in France ?

how are they doing under his own ownership?

Unread 18-02-2023, 03:31 AM
jem

the only question is who offered the most to the glazers. they couldn't give a £#%&! about anything else. the qataris will lose face if they don't bid the most. accountant bids ain't winning.

Unread 18-02-2023, 04:47 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the only question is who offered the most to the glazers. they couldn't give a £#%&! about anything else. the qataris will lose face if they don't bid the most. accountant bids ain't winning.
Yep. All the hand wringing about morals = Glazers. Where have you been? They don’t give a shite about anything, at all, that isn’t about their profit line. Morals are usually the last resort for people who otherwise have none until it suits. Nobody worried about “morals” when Arabs came in to gush $$$$ into city and Newcastle, other than quiet murmurings that they are being bankrolled trophies. Morals suddenly emerge when it benefits United because they don’t really have the financial argument, that was all but absent for clubs that had previously benefited.

They effectively stole the most profitable club in the world, ran it down to the bare bones and are now looking for maximum profit for the sale of their stolen asset. They won’t care a jot that “lifelong supporter” Jim went to OT twice, in his whole life and then bought a ST at Chelsea and would’ve become a Chelsea owner and devotee had he go his way. Local boy Louis Edwards was a “United supporter“ who insisted that Carlo Sartori, Paul Edwards and Steve James would do, then sat on his hands and watched us get relegated whilst he and his accomplices trousered the gate money and set up a cosy little arrangement for his butchers business and rewarded his accomplices.

Like Rio’s missed drugs test, Rooney swearing , Keane writing a book Casemiro “strangling” an opponent etc etc etc, it’s suddenly Uniteds concern that they don’t tolerate gays in Qatar or dozens of other countries.

Unread 18-02-2023, 05:18 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Yep. All the hand wringing about morals = Glazers. Where have you been? They don’t give a shite about anything, at all, that isn’t about their profit line. Morals are usually the last resort for people who otherwise have none until it suits. Nobody worried about “morals” when Arabs came in to gush $$$$ into city and Newcastle, other than quiet murmurings that they are being bankrolled trophies. Morals suddenly emerge when it benefits United because they don’t really have the financial argument, that was all but absent for clubs that had previously benefited.

They effectively stole the most profitable club in the world, ran it down to the bare bones and are now looking for maximum profit for the sale of their stolen asset. They won’t care a jot that “lifelong supporter” Jim went to OT twice, in his whole life and then bought a ST at Chelsea and would’ve become a Chelsea owner and devotee had he go his way. Local boy Louis Edwards was a “United supporter“ who insisted that Carlo Sartori, Paul Edwards and Steve James would do, then sat on his hands and watched us get relegated whilst he and his accomplices trousered the gate money and set up a cosy little arrangement for his butchers business and rewarded his accomplices.

Like Rio’s missed drugs test, Rooney swearing , Keane writing a book Casemiro “strangling” an opponent etc etc etc, it’s suddenly Uniteds concern that they don’t tolerate gays in Qatar or dozens of other countries.
Surely you can't really be this thick, can you?

Blue: No idea what the point you're trying to make in this bit, or who you're actually referring to in it. It's an absolute mess of utter bullshit.

Red: Strange that you're happy to stick the boot into the one bidder that actually supports the club

Green: Yep, whenever I hear or see about injustices in the world, and the attempts by the states that carry them out to cover them up and wash them away through purchasing popular sports franchises, I can't help but think of the time that Wazza swore at Upton Park.

I want to care about homosexuals being persecuted and the slave labour, but where werr these pearl clutching liberal types when Roy Keane released a book?!?

I would be against the takeover of the club by a nation that wants to use it as a political vessel to further their own questionable aims and beliefs, but Rio missed a drugs test almost two decades ago, so I think they're completely justified and I'll happily bend over for it.

Unread 18-02-2023, 05:58 AM
shenwen

Are we all okay now with INEOS’ awful environmental record or are we just picking and choosing what to be outraged about?

Unread 18-02-2023, 06:04 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Are we all okay now with INEOS’ awful environmental record or are we just picking and choosing what to be outraged about?
No, nor am I happy about the shitty things most of our sponsors do.

Unread 18-02-2023, 06:18 AM
djsst

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
doesn’t jimbo own nice football club in France ?

how are they doing under his own ownership?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-ratcliffe-psg

Unread 18-02-2023, 06:22 AM
Ethers

Real hotbed of environmentalists this place tbf.

If we’re going down that route though, what do we think has had the greater overall negative environmental impact, the actions of one company, or the 70 years of oil and gas extracted and sold by Qatar? Tough one tbf.

Unread 18-02-2023, 06:44 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

If we’re going down that route though, what do we think has had the greater overall negative environmental impact, the actions of one company, or the 70 years of oil and gas extracted and sold by Qatar? Tough one tbf.
Real hotbed of progressive liberals as well.

But that's not the point and you know it. The point is what makes "Big Jim" a better prospect as an owner? Is he a better ethical option? No. Is he more committed to plough money into the club free of debt? Doesn't appear so. Is it because he's local? For some that appears to be the case, yes.

I'm not happy that we are going to be bought by Qatar. But for me right now, it's the best (and possible the only realistic) option. All this pining for Red Knight Benevolent Millionaire Jim to step in is painfully naive. But who knows/ Maybe he'll make his brother Bob the CEO like he did at Nice. Sounds like the sensible strategy we've been missing for a decade.

Unread 18-02-2023, 06:45 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Real hotbed of progressive liberals as well.

But that's not the point and you know it. The point is what makes "Big Jim" a better prospect as an owner? Is he a better ethical option? No. Is he more committed to plough money into the club free of debt? Doesn't appear so. Is it because he's local? For some that appears to be the case, yes.

I'm not happy that we are going to be bought by Qatar. But for me right now, it's the best (and possible the only realistic) option. All this pining for Red Knight Benevolent Millionaire Jim to step in is painfully naive.
He clearly is though

Unread 18-02-2023, 06:48 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
He clearly is though
I disagree. At best he's a lesser of two evils. Maybe. Depends on your priorities.

Unread 18-02-2023, 06:52 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
I disagree. At best he's a lesser of two evils. Maybe. Depends on your priorities.

Unread 18-02-2023, 07:29 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
f.

“Are we really picking and choosing between environmental issues and human rights”

Yes. Yes we are.

Unread 18-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Go read some of the posts under your previous logins

Qatar are definitely a worse ethical option.

It is what it is ultimately but I’ve always liked to think we are better than the oil clubs etc and this just puts us on their level.
Yep.

We’ve always looked down on City, and more recently Newcastle. And even going back to Chelsea under Abramovich. We’ve mocked them. We’ve pointed out what harm they’ve done to the wider game.

But as soon as our turn comes, it appears that a massive portion of our fanbase can’t wait for it. A few on here are an announcement away from donning tea towels and heading down to Old Trafford. Maybe do a quick survey while they’re there and work out just how many billion the stadium needs.

The main justification seems to be “I just want the glazers gone” - in which case, who does it matter who buys us? Makes no difference if it’s Qatar, Ineos or Olly Murs.

The other one seems to be “if you can’t beat them, join them”. Which even if it’s wrong (you can beat them without joining them, we’re proving that already) it’s at least honest. It’s all about winning, and as quickly as possible. It’s not a United problem tbf, football these days is all about instant gratification, instant results. Salivating over the biggest transfers. The big names. No time for hard work or a long term plan - all about the easy fix and throwing money at things.

Undoubtedly if Qatar are in charge, the Facebook and Twitter reds will have plenty to buzz off. Delighted for them.

Personally, the thought of guaranteed success leaves me a bit cold. It’s why City’s league titles will never mean as much as ours, because they were bought rather than earned.

I do find it a shame that we’re going to end up joining them.
Closed Thread