United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:53 AM
El Chalten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I don't. I just think the pundits have a point on Rooney yesterday, he bought that penalty, could easily have stayed on his feet. United fans see their arse at somebody claiming Rooney bought the pen. But in the same breath will criticise Gerrard for the same thing.I only brought the Evra one from last season up because it is an example of Gerrard starting to fall long before the challenge connects with him, as Rooney did yesterday.

I can see what the pundits are saying is my point.
your talking shite. it was a penalty all day long.

nft.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:56 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chalten
your talking shite. it was a penalty all day long.

nft.
It was a penalty, I don't think I said it wasn't

Unread 30-08-2009, 12:01 PM
El Chalten

Quote:
rooney was falling over long before the keeper got anywhere near him. I have seen people cursing gerrard on here for exactly the same thing.
?

Unread 30-08-2009, 12:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chalten
?
That's not saying it wasn't a penalty.

Unread 30-08-2009, 12:08 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
That's not saying it wasn't a penalty.
So you are just arguing for the sake of it?

Unread 30-08-2009, 12:11 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
£#%&!ing yeah, problem?

Unread 30-08-2009, 12:12 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
£#%&!ing yeah, problem?
Nope.

Unread 30-08-2009, 12:34 PM
wee man

Rooney did it a few years ago against Arsenal. Big Campbell never touched him in the 50 and out game and Ruud scored the pen iirc correctly.

Unread 30-08-2009, 12:34 PM
dunk

Quote:
Pretty much.

I'm in a foul mood this morning, not sure why either.

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Serenity Now

To me, it looks to be a blatant dive. Rooney clearly starts to fall and drag his left foot on the turf before he makes any contact with Almunia. So his intentions here were no different to Eduardo's. The only distinction between the two incidents was Almunia's rashness. As such, I'm not sure whether this is a penalty. Almunia does make contact, but Rooney is already falling before this happens. If diving is an offence according to the laws of the game, then since the dive took place before the keeper made contact, doesn't this mean that it should be a free-kick to Arsenal? After all, the penalty incident occurred after the play should've been stopped, no?

I really don't know

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:23 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
To me, it looks to be a blatant dive. Rooney clearly starts to fall and drag his left foot on the turf before he makes any contact with Almunia. So his intentions here were no different to Eduardo's. The only distinction between the two incidents was Almunia's rashness. As such, I'm not sure whether this is a penalty. Almunia does make contact, but Rooney is already falling before this happens. If diving is an offence according to the laws of the game, then since the dive took place before the keeper made contact, doesn't this mean that it should be a free-kick to Arsenal? After all, the penalty incident occurred after the play should've been stopped, no?

I really don't know
Wrong.

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
you've said this twice now but we're talking fractions of a second. in real time you couldn't notice it at all. and it doesn't take away from the fact he was clattered by the keeper, which is a penalty. can't be argued with.

more annoying though are the morons saying it shouldn't count as he had already kicked the ball away. no understanding of football whatsoever.

Was a pen every day of the week! That pic though shows that he was already on his way down.

Wenger kicking off about it is just his way of taking the heat off Eduardo!

Why are the press not banging-on about that shameless @#%&! Eboue!

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Wrong.
"Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour."

Rooney begins to fall, and drags his left foot, before Almunia makes contact. Is he not, then, intending to deceive the referee?

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:47 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
"Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour."

Rooney begins to fall, and drags his left foot, before Almunia makes contact. Is he not, then, intending to deceive the referee?
I'm sorry I'm sure I read your post and it said it was a blatant dive?

He certainly took the contact that Almunia so generously and rashly offered but to call it a blatant dive in my opinion is just wrong.

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:49 PM
magic_cantona

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling

Was a pen every day of the week! That pic though shows that he was already on his way down.

Wenger kicking off about it is just his way of taking the heat off Eduardo!

Why are the press not banging-on about that shameless @#%&! Eboue!
You're right, dagnammit!

Right!

Right I tells you!

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Sparky***

Did almunia get the ball? no.

Did he take the man? yes.

Penalty.

Case closed.

Next.

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:50 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Penalty.

Case closed.

Next
Chicken or the egg?

Cheers.

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:51 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Penalty.

Case closed.

Next.
Apparantly some think it was Rooney's responsibility to get out of the way of Almunia's rash challenge?

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm sure I read your post and it said it was a blatant dive?

He certainly took the contact that Almunia so generously and rashly offered but to call it a blatant dive in my opinion is just wrong.
If he starts to fall before Almunia makes contact, and he quite clearly does, then it's a dive. I fail to see how this is fundamentally different to the Eduardo incident. The intent is exactly the same.

Unread 31-08-2009, 03:57 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
If he starts to fall before Almunia makes contact, and he quite clearly does, then it's a dive. I fail to see how this is fundamentally different to the Eduardo incident. The intent is exactly the same.
It isn't, there was no contact in the Eduardo incident, he went over fresh air, Rooney went over Almunia. Your split second judgement of exactly when you think Rooney, at pace strated to go down, or his reason for doing so doesn't change this. That penalty happens time and time again in all football the world ove and there is no controversy, I have no understanding why you'd want to brand Rooney a cheat for it when pretty much the entire football world agrees that it was a penalty?
Closed Thread