United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

£#%&! off, you can't possibly believe that. You mean he ran all that way just to @#%&! it out of play for fun
Sometimes in a 50-50 / 60-40, you know you're gonna get a hit. If you stay out of the challenge, you win £#%&! all. If you poke it through, you get hit and get a free kick/pen. That's not 'playing for it'...that's playing the £#%&!ing game!!!

Edit: playing for it would be leaving a leg in a bit longer so you get tripped.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:07 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Dunk, it was a penalty. He looked for it, definitely. But the keeper £#%&!ed up big time there by
a) coming for a ball that was never really his and no danger really as it was going away from goal
b) actually diving full length and sticking sticking his hands out even after Rooney had put it in row z.
c) I would have said penalty for any player (and that includes starfish Gerrard) for that

Terrilbe goalkeeping from Almunia imo opinion
I wouldn't disagree with the goalkeeping, similar to Gomes at Spurs against the vermin the other week.

I still say Rooney was on his way down long before Almunia got to him, in fact, I would say that Rooney could easily have stayed on his feet and what Almunia did would never have knocked him over, hence he was looking for it.

As I said, I'll take it, but if it had been any player against us, I'd have been mad as hell.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:08 AM
MUFC One Love

Rooney's was a penalty, if that was someone like Gerrard I would still say it was a penalty. Yes, Rooney played for it but Almunia shouldn't have come out like that.

As for Chelsea, as someone has said, it's just like at the start of last season, when they were all raving about Scolari and them. In fact they do it every season with Chelsea. Chelsea haven't looked that good so far this season imo.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:10 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default Had to stop watching that in the interests of my

TV not getting a foot or cup put through it. Journalism is tee totally £#%&!ed and football journos are at the bottom of the pile. Knew a 'football' scribe from the Mirror, a fat £#%&! who'd never kicked a ball in his life. And those girls who are now at the Grauniade are a joke, PC gone mad, I tell thee I tell thee.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:15 AM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Dunk, it was a penalty. He looked for it, definitely. But the keeper £#%&!ed up big time there by
a) coming for a ball that was never really his and no danger really as it was going away from goal
b) actually diving full length and sticking sticking his hands out even after Rooney had put it in row z.
c) I would have said penalty for any player (and that includes starfish Gerrard) for that

Terrilbe goalkeeping from Almunia imo opinion
Spot on, it was a wreckless challenge which i suspect is why he booked Almunia.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:15 AM
shenwen

Quote:
I wouldn't disagree with the goalkeeping, similar to Gomes at Spurs against the vermin the other week.

I still say Rooney was on his way down long before Almunia got to him, in fact, I would say that Rooney could easily have stayed on his feet and what Almunia did would never have knocked him over, hence he was looking for it.

As I said, I'll take it, but if it had been any player against us, I'd have been mad as hell.
you've said this twice now but we're talking fractions of a second. in real time you couldn't notice it at all. and it doesn't take away from the fact he was clattered by the keeper, which is a penalty. can't be argued with.

more annoying though are the morons saying it shouldn't count as he had already kicked the ball away. no understanding of football whatsoever.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:19 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
Spot on, it was a wreckless challenge which i suspect is why he booked Almunia.
It was a terrible decision from Almunia to come for that ball. £#%&! knows what went through his head.

As a keeper myself, you just know if you're going to get a ball or not. Rooney is no slouch, he can shift some. To dive for that ball when there was no danger whatsoever smacks of a keeper who's a bit thick. I've always thought Almunia was Arsenal's weak link and he's not changed my mind.

And you could tell by the reaction of him (and his defenders) that he £#%&!ed up majorly and it was a penalty.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:21 AM
LaPaz

Quote:

It all happened in a second so you're stretching it by saying the Rooney was on his way down long before Almunia made contact.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:21 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
you've said this twice now but we're talking fractions of a second. in real time you couldn't notice it at all. and it doesn't take away from the fact he was clattered by the keeper, which is a penalty. can't be argued with.

more annoying though are the morons saying it shouldn't count as he had already kicked the ball away. no understanding of football whatsoever.
He had to make himself fall over as Almunia wouldn't have knocked him over. That's the point. Gerrard is vilified for falling over phantom legs, trips and the like, Rooney did it, but because the keeper brushed his studs it was a definite penalty.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Argentina

Quote:
He had to make himself fall over as Almunia wouldn't have knocked him over. That's the point. Gerrard is vilified for falling over phantom legs, trips and the like, Rooney did it, but because the keeper brushed his studs it was a definite penalty.
Rooney against Arsenal in 04 was a dive. Today he was taken out.

Brushed his studs yeh? And don't even claim that's proof of him on his way down

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:30 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Rooney against Arsenal in 04 was a dive. Today he was taken out.

Brushed his studs yeh? And don't even claim that's proof of him on his way down
His feet haven't even reached Almunia

If Almunia had tripped him, his feet would be past his arm.

Have you ever been tripped up? You don't fall before the thing you trip over

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:34 AM
shenwen

Quote:
nonsense. the only way he would have avoided the keeper would have been to jump over him. you are judging everything is slow motion. life doesn't play in slow motion. and you certainly can't start making claims based on a still photo ffs.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:36 AM
n48

Football is not an exact science. Shit happens to and for us. That's part of the attraction imo. If all decisions were 100% then it'd eliminate much of the drama of the game. Leave it alone.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Argentina

Quote:
His feet haven't even reached Almunia

If Almunia had tripped him, his feet would be past his arm.

Have you ever been tripped up? You don't fall before the thing you trip over
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3309222/

I can kinda see what you mean. But you can stay on your feet there. You can see his intention was to spring but was CLEARLY taken out!

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:37 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
nonsense. the only way he would have avoided the keeper would have been to jump over him. you are judging everything is slow motion. life doesn't play in slow motion. and you certainly can't start making claims based on a still photo ffs.
He could've stayed on his feet. He bought the penalty. Almunia sold himself with stupid goalkeeping. That's how it is.

Gerrard did it with Evra at OT last season, made himself fall over when he could have easily stayed on his feet.

The hypocrisy amongst football fans :shakehead:

As I said, we'll take it, and there will be plenty of nailed on pens that we don't get, but still...

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Argentina

Quote:
He could've stayed on his feet. He bought the penalty. Almunia sold himself with stupid goalkeeping. That's how it is.

Gerrard did it with Evra at OT last season, made himself fall over when he could have easily stayed on his feet.

As I said, we'll take it, and there will be plenty of nailed on pens that we don't get, but still...
That was a clear penalty.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:40 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
That was a clear penalty.
It wasn't when Gerrard first started falling

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Argentina

Quote:
It wasn't when Gerrard first started falling
Definite penalty. Could list a few of Gerrards that aren't. Milan 05 a starting point.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:42 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

Dunk, honestly mate are you taking the piss?

So we're all hypocrites? Gerrard's at O.T with Evra was a blatent pen, and no players or fans complained about it. If that was Gerrard yesterday when Rooney got the penalty, nobody would say Gerrard dived. No Arsenal players complained about it. You think everyone are JCL, glory hunting hypocrites if they have a different opinion to you.

Unread 30-08-2009, 11:49 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Dunk, honestly mate are you taking the piss?

So we're all hypocrites? Gerrard's at O.T with Evra was a blatent pen, and no players or fans complained about it. If that was Gerrard yesterday when Rooney got the penalty, nobody would say Gerrard dived. No Arsenal players complained about it. You think everyone are JCL, glory hunting hypocrites if they have a different opinion to you.
I don't. I just think the pundits have a point on Rooney yesterday, he bought that penalty, could easily have stayed on his feet. United fans see their arse at somebody claiming Rooney bought the pen. But in the same breath will criticise Gerrard for the same thing.

I only brought the Evra one from last season up because it is an example of Gerrard starting to fall long before the challenge connects with him, as Rooney did yesterday.

I can see what the pundits are saying is my point.
Closed Thread