United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 02-11-2021, 06:00 AM
Patty_b

Football Atalanta vs Manchester United: Official Matchday Thread - 02/11/21 @ 8.00pm

[SIZE="4"]Man United - Champions League so far

[SIZE="4"]Man United - Last 5 League Games

[SIZE="4"]Atalanta - Champions League so far

[SIZE="4"]Atalanta - Last 5 League Games

[SIZE="4"]Team News:
Man United:
No Lindelof, everyone else available.

Atalanta:
Jose Palomino is a doubt after missing their draw against Lazio at the weekend. Rafael Toloi, Berat Djimsiti, Matteo Pessina, Robin Gosens and Hans Hateboer are also doubts.

Previous Meeting:
The last meeting between the two sides only took place 13 days ago, splitting two horrendous Premier League defeats with some proper nostalgic goonege.

We went into the half time break 2-0 down after two extremely sloppy goals both coming as a result of poor defending following Atalanta set pieces. The first coming 15 minutes into the first half after we switched off after a quick Atalanta free kick allowing Zappacosta to overlap with absolute freedom down the right wing and cut a ball across the area to Pasalic to tap Atalanta into the lead. Demaril then headed Atalanta into a 2 goal lead with 28 minutes gone after some typical slack defending from a corner. The lead didn't quite tell the whole story, as we created a plethora of our own chances, and should've scored two or three ourselves during the opening period. However some poor finishing let the team in red and a packed Old Trafford down.

But the crowd we're still well behind the team, pushed on by a wall of support, we rallied back in the second half. Not only were we creating good chances, but we were starting to dominate the game, forcing the Italian team to rush and make mistakes. Only 8 minutes into the second half Atalanta were forced into one mistake too many, after a slack pass found its way to Bruno who with a flick of the boot and a trademark reverse put Rashford clear through to slide the ball past their keeper in front of a baying Stretford End. Game on. Despite our intense pressure and some more good chances, including an effort from The Scottish Player cannoning off the post, it took until the 75th minute for the equaliser to come. Fernandes found himself wide right and played a ball into the box, it managed to pass its way through everybody only to find The Slab himself free in the area. For the first time in his career he managed to handle some pace with relative ease and sweeped in the equaliser with aplomb. Only needing one more to win, we kept pushing forward and were eventually rewarded after a very poor corner managed to find its way to Shaw, who after playing a 1-2 with Fred delivered a picture perfect cross for the one and only Ronaldo to rise above his man and power us into the lead with his head. Goon. We see out what turned out to be a pulsating and entertaining game fitting of the atmosphere that powered it. From bottom of the group to the top in 45 minutes.

Match Tit Bits
Atalanta have only won 1 of their last 5 games against English opposition, that win came against Liverpool at Anfield last season. They have lost three and drawn the other one.

We have lost only one of our last 11 games against Italian opposition in the Champions League, winning 8 and drawing two of the other 10. That defeat has come in the last 6 games against Italian teams, where we won the other 5.

A win in Italy tonight will be our 150th in Europe's top competition and will mean that we're the first English side to reach this milestone, and fourth overall after Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Barcelona.

Atalanta have only lost two of their last 8 Champions League games at home, winning three and drawing three. They won their last home game in the Champions League against Young Boys 1-0, however they haven't won two consecutive home games in the Champions League since defeating Zagreb and then Valencia in the 19/20 campaign.

Match Prediction:
A tough hard fought game that ends in a 2-2 draw.

Unread 02-11-2021, 06:11 AM
believe

Thumbs up

Loving these early starts for the early time zone reds

Always considered this management as a “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” type so can only see a repeat formation of Sunday. Maybe a change of Telles in for Shaw and a replacement for 50 (per) cent.

Sure a win here makes us go through and a remarkable win at the weekend keeps us in the race abs we all owe Ole an apology.

Unread 02-11-2021, 08:50 AM
My Name is Heath

Wow.

Patty b is literally on fire at the moment.

Call the fire brigade!

Great start to the Tuesday game - I love it.

Will be fascinating to see if we retain 3 at the back.

I’m sorry but something has to be said.

A good option in a back 3?

The Scottish Player.

There. I’ve said it. You unhappy? Your problem chief. I’m not getting my wig split on this.

He played like a Buchan/Hansen/Hendry/McQueen hybrid for Scotland against England in Euro 2020 and allows us more options than a desperate investment bank trying to reach their bonus target.

It allows Matic to sit in front and FredNandes to zestify the pitch with the Portuguese language and footy skills.

Just like a burglar at B&Q with a huge van, he has all the tools he needs.

I know Ole reads my posts so do it OGS. Do it.

Unread 02-11-2021, 10:41 AM
AK14

As with all our games it could go either way

We haven’t won back to back games since the spring(I think?) so tonight would be a great night to change that stat.

If he knew how I reckon Ole would like to set us up for a draw.

Unread 02-11-2021, 10:53 AM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
As with all our games it could go either way

We haven’t won back to back games since the spring(I think?) so tonight would be a great night to change that stat.

If he knew how I reckon Ole would like to set us up for a draw.
We beat Wolves then Newcastle either side of the first international break.

Unread 02-11-2021, 10:55 AM
jem

wait.... are we top of our group? that can't be right.

Unread 02-11-2021, 11:06 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
We beat Wolves then Newcastle either side of the first international break.
So we did…

Hopefully can we manage it again.

Unread 02-11-2021, 11:31 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
wait.... are we top of our group? that can't be right.
Yep. Win tonight and we’re practically home and hosed.

Unread 02-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Drexl

Looking forward to this

Atalantoh

Sterling work OP btw

I'd quite like to see the same formation as last, but with all the players who didn't play.

Beek in Bruno's role

Unread 02-11-2021, 11:48 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yep. Win tonight and we’re practically home and hosed.
🤞

Let’s hope this post isn’t dug up at 10:00pm with- “Ole- Hold my beer ” etc

Unread 02-11-2021, 12:06 PM
NedKelly

This is a must win. Couldn’t care less how we do it, as dunk says, if we win it’s basically a guarantee of getting through to the knockouts. Anything less than that though and we’re essentially fighting to the last to avoid the Europa - and I don’t trust the majority of our players to cope with the pressure.

Hack at them, don’t give them a moments breathing space, pass the ball with intensity (let’s not wait for them to get a disallowed goal like Spurs before we start though eh?), and for the love of God get that ball to Ronnie.

Unread 02-11-2021, 12:36 PM
est.1878

Patty with another 5am masterclass

Unread 02-11-2021, 02:12 PM
Mr_Ed

Could flip a coin for the result. Genuinely no idea which United will turn up.

Unread 02-11-2021, 02:13 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Could flip a coin for the result. Genuinely no idea which United will turn up.
i think what you just described is a team managed by ole. That one will turn up.

Unread 02-11-2021, 04:51 PM
Time For Heroes

A win and we're more or less through and a draw would mean we just have to beat Young Boys at home (). Expect a rollercoaster as Atalanta don't know how to defend either but I reckon we'll get a positive result.

Unread 02-11-2021, 06:11 PM
Coracao

Think we will win. Atalanta's game is too open.

Unread 02-11-2021, 06:32 PM
waynes ear's

Cant wait

Unread 02-11-2021, 06:49 PM
AK14

2-4 win

Unread 02-11-2021, 07:10 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Think we will win. Atalanta's game is too open.
Whereas ours

Unread 02-11-2021, 07:18 PM
wiganste

3-1 Yanited 😎