United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 13-09-2021, 02:00 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Allan Saint-Maximin, btw.

I’m getting more convinced that there is a proper player there. Last season I’d written him off as a show pony, but he seems to be improving, and is a genuine threat, with a decent final ball.

Great fun to watch, and he has something that I haven’t seen from a United winger in years - the ability to consistently beat a man. Much prefer him to Adama Traore at Wolves.
Reminds me of Zaha, an absolute gem of a player for lesser sides but an absolute hazard for top quality ones unless he’s coming off the bench to make things happen. Traore is absolute roided Walcott of a player.

Unread 13-09-2021, 12:23 PM
believe

Replying to post in the Varane thread before it goes way off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
He was slightly out of position at least.

Re Dunk on De Gea, agree I thought he made that far too easy, wasnt a particularly great finish either just a stock standard obvious placement and he hit it with little angle on it to reach the corner. It was very saveable IMO
He’s stood about five yards from him and he strikes it as well as he could have. Only chance any keeper is having in that situation is if it hits them. He’d have to go down before the player took his shot to get anywhere close

Unread 13-09-2021, 01:53 PM
Sparky***

I must admit I’m a bit concerned with how easily teams have swept up the pitch against us during counter-attacks in recent games. Making 60/70 yards with the ball at feet. It seems that we still haven’t got to grips with making the oppositions life difficult when they have the ball. Obviously Newcastle and Wolves had players with a lot of pace and power but surely we should be at a stage now where this shouldn’t be such a huge issue?

Unread 13-09-2021, 02:05 PM
Red_Rizla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I must admit I’m a bit concerned with how easily teams have swept up the pitch against us during counter-attacks in recent games. Making 60/70 yards with the ball at feet. It seems that we still haven’t got to grips with making the oppositions life difficult when they have the ball. Obviously Newcastle and Wolves had players with a lot of pace and power but surely we should be at a stage now where this shouldn’t be such a huge issue?
You are right, it is a concern. We could do with some snide like Liverpool and City in order to stop play and regroup. Keane would do it, as would Scholes. Just tug a shirt and take a booking, but prevent the attack. Be more ruthless.

Unread 13-09-2021, 04:24 PM
ZiggyStardust

Thumbs up

These really are the best content the Utd media team put out

Unread 13-09-2021, 05:09 PM
Danoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

https://youtu.be/7zyq3_R1piY
That is excellent

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Yep.

It’s hard to not sound spoiled when you’ve just won 4-1, but Newcastle scored a horrendous goal from our POV and had another two really good openings that would have seen them clean through with a bit more composure (willock smashing the ball over the bar and long staff falling over a critical point).

We always huffed and puffed until we scored and were far too slow in the build up again.

Recurring issues. It’s not exactly papering over the cracks, but they’re concerns. Better teams or teams having better days will hurt us.

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:13 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Yep.

It’s hard to not sound spoiled when you’ve just won 4-1, but Newcastle scored a horrendous goal from our POV and had another two really good openings that would have seen them clean through with a bit more composure (willock smashing the ball over the bar and long staff falling over a critical point).

We always huffed and puffed until we scored and were far too slow in the build up again.

Recurring issues. It’s not exactly papering over the cracks, but they’re concerns. Better teams or teams having better days will hurt us.
Better teams won't sit with 11 men behind the ball & be wasting time from the 8th min of the game. We seem to struggle against teams who do that. Teams that come at us & give us space don't tend to cause these problems.

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:21 PM
jem

Quote:
Yep.

in fairness, newcastle's goal was very well executed. not many teams would have prevented it other than by a tactical foul in the opposition half (yes, city, I am looking at you) or by... oh, I don't know... having a midfield with some £#%&!ing discipline.

I realise that throwing a lot into attack is what gives us goals, but fred got burned by traore repeatedly when pushing up and matic should never have been where he was on the newcastle goal.

we are also too easy to hit on the break because shaw and wan-b are constantly upfield (in wan-b's case, pointlessly). and maguire sold himself very cheaply under the circumstances.

traore and st max are hard to cover when they get it right, though.

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:30 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

https://youtu.be/7zyq3_R1piY
Been looking forward to watching this all day. Great stuff

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:32 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Better teams won't sit with 11 men behind the ball & be wasting time from the 8th min of the game. We seem to struggle against teams who do that. Teams that come at us & give us space don't tend to cause these problems.
A lot of teams will do that though and we’ll have to learn how to overcome it. Especially early on. We’re nearly always better second half and teams’ concentration and energy will drop, but it would nice to see us move the ball a little quicker, earlier in the game.

However, since submitting my post, I’ve watched that access all areas video, had a little cry and now I think we’ll piss the league

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:36 PM
jem

Quote:
A lot of teams will do that though and we’ll have to learn how to overcome it. Especially early on. We’re nearly always better second half and teams’ concentration and energy will drop, but it would nice to see us move the ball a little quicker, earlier in the game.

However, since submitting my post, I’ve watched that access all areas video, had a little cry and now I think we’ll piss the league
gråtrunka?

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:36 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
in fairness, newcastle's goal was very well executed. not many teams would have prevented it other than by a tactical foul in the opposition half (yes, city, I am looking at you) or by... oh, I don't know... having a midfield with some £#%&!ing discipline.

I realise that throwing a lot into attack is what gives us goals, but fred got burned by traore repeatedly when pushing up and matic should never have been where he was on the newcastle goal.

we are also too easy to hit on the break because shaw and wan-b are constantly upfield (in wan-b's case, pointlessly). and maguire sold himself very cheaply under the circumstances.

traore and st max are hard to cover when they get it right, though.
Yes, they took it well. Credit to them, but we find ourselves in those situations far too often. As you’ve pointed out, 3 or 4 players at fault and were left with 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 far too often and far too easily. Watching Maguire miss a slide tackle in the centre circle and they a 2 on 1 is alarming. Traore beating two of our players outside his own box and seeing no other player near him until he reaches our box is alarming.

There’s a lot to like about this United side and it’s the most exciting and together side we’ve had in £#%&!ing years, and for that - I’m onboard, but the shortcomings are there and I think they’ll be the difference between top and not.

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:37 PM
wiganste

Honestly think our mentality at home now is to attack and just out score the opponent
Bit of a different approach away from home but it’s working so far and it can only get better

When we were in the mood after Newcastle equalised, we’re a joy to watch. Has there been a better team goal than Lingards this season? I think not. And that’s what we’re capable of

Things are looking positive lads.

Unread 13-09-2021, 06:38 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
gråtrunka?
*googles…..

…..#@&%!!

(And yes 👍 )