United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 23-08-2021, 10:17 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
'He runs about a lot'. Seems to be the go to defence.

So did Robbie Savage. Sadly, Savage could also pass better than Fred
Yep. Having some qualities doesn’t mean he’s good enough. We have top players in every position - centre back, full back, attacking midfield, striker…. But the central midfield options are just not good enough. Every week is a dilemma as to whose shortcomings we can get away with.

We should be in for Neves and the like before the window closes. We won’t be though.

Unread 23-08-2021, 10:21 AM
dunk

This is the stick or twist point. Do they stick and hope there’s enough to get CL again or twist, buy a midfielder or 2 and make sure?

We all know what’s going to happen

Unread 23-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
This is the stick or twist point. Do they stick and hope there’s enough to get CL again or twist, buy a midfielder or 2 and make sure?

We all know what’s going to happen
Ole isn’t daft. He must be able to see a big issue like this. I worry he’s a little safe and risk-averse, but I’m sure he can see the problem.

We’re never going to sort all our issues in one window. We might sort it in January, but by then we’ll have a goalkeeping issue and we’ll need a new striker next summer when Cavani leaves. We’ll keep improving the squad, but we’ll always be one or two away.

Unread 23-08-2021, 10:26 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Ole isn’t daft. He must be able to see a big issue like this. I worry he’s a little safe and risk-averse, but I’m sure he can see the problem.

We’re never going to sort all our issues in one window. We might sort it in January, but by then we’ll have a goalkeeping issue and we’ll need a new striker next summer when Cavani leaves. We’ll keep improving the squad, but we’ll always be one or two away.
He alluded to having been told ‘No’ re: transfers to some extent in his interviews over the weekend after Klopp’s comments.

Talk Roma want Matic still.

Sell Matic and Lingard, buy Camavinga and Neves and all of a sudden we’re a team.

Unread 23-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
He alluded to having been told ‘No’ re: transfers to some extent in his interviews over the weekend after Klopp’s comments.

Sell Matic and Lingard, buy Camavinga and Neves and all of a sudden we’re a team.
Surely none of that is happening this window though? They’d have gone by now if they were going. The lack of sales has killed us. Giving these #@&%!s new deals is killing us.

Unread 23-08-2021, 10:36 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Shaw actually turns up for 99% of the games he plays in though.

Matic is finished Jem. Let him go
I wasn't having a go at shaw. I am just pointing out that collectively we weren't good enough. matic usually turns up and has been playing well recently. our midfield isn't good enough, but we had plenty of opportunity going forward. aside from a couple of decent crosses, shaw just pushed the ball five yards wide to his winger. how many saves did the soton keeper make?

before the game, I did not say matic would be good enough in a two with fred; I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I'd be happier if it wasn't fred next to him or if we had three in midfield or if we'd bought neves and trippier already. but at least james is nowhere near it. greenwood is so much better than him.
nothing has changed after the game.

all the people who looked at our first few games and said we should win them all.... it never works out like that. we should have won yesterday. what were southampton other than bullies and a bit lucky? they are shit. but we didn't win because we are shit, too. too many players with their heads down and not using any intelligence. and the lazy passes or dwelling on the ball.... and I don't mean matic, I mean fred, pogba, maguire......

our midfield isn't good enough. but it should have been good enough yesterday. the whole team were shit. and it's mental.

Quote:
yeah, but no.

Unread 23-08-2021, 11:50 AM
JamesPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

I think that was highlighted by the team section and the fact that there hasn't been single deprature this window.

Unread 23-08-2021, 11:52 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPolk
I think that was highlighted by the team section and the fact that there hasn't been single deprature this window.
Because the risk adverse #@&%! is happy with champions league and hopefully picks up some silverware this year (carabou)

Unread 23-08-2021, 11:54 AM
believe

Bit harsh calling him risk averse less than 24 hours after replacing Fred with The Scottish Player in a desperate attempt to win the game.

Unread 23-08-2021, 12:02 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Bit harsh calling him risk averse less than 24 hours after replacing Fred with The Scottish Player in a desperate attempt to win the game.

Unread 23-08-2021, 12:17 PM
92ToBury

Quote:

Sell them both and get just Neves.

The biggest problem in terms of wages of players we generally think shouldn't be here are:
Martial - £250k
Mata - £160k
Fred - £120k
Matic - £120k
Jones - £75k
Lingard - £75k

800k per week, or 3 top quality players.

It's all well and good to talk about flushing these but who's going to take them on (barring Lingard) at anything like the wages they're on here?

Unread 23-08-2021, 04:03 PM
saffers

Quote:
He’s become the first poster to ever earn a place on my ignore list. Fair play.
Damn.

Unread 23-08-2021, 04:35 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Also this. We'll give Pogba a new contract and make a lot of noise about it on social media, but I don't think any new players are coming in now.
Would keep quiet about that myself - if the suits think it will win over fans who would actually like a few more signings, it just shows how out of touch they are (again)