https://twitter.com/blurt2kc/status/1100944481438711808

not £#%&!ing this

Made my day that

Unread 28-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Imagine the team with players Ole's chosen
looking forward to seeing Mats Moller Daehli, Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Kenwyne Jones & Jo Inge Berget in the shirt

Unread 28-02-2019, 11:16 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
looking forward to seeing Mats Moller Daehli, Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Kenwyne Jones & Jo Inge Berget in the shirt

Unread 28-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Tbh I hope we get a DoF in who has the final say on transfers. Just let Ole concentrate on coaching the players.
£#%&! that. The manager needs final say on buying and selling. Neither busby nor Ferguson would have taken a job where they didn’t have that power. Wilf McGuinness being a prime example of how a manager is neutered when someone else is making those decisions.

With regards first team recruitment, the DoF can run the scouting, draw up shortlists for the manager to consider, run information gathering and negotiate the deals.

Unread 28-02-2019, 01:01 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
£#%&! that. The manager needs final say on buying and selling. Neither busby nor Ferguson would have taken a job where they didn’t have that power. Wilf McGuinness being a prime example of how a manager is neutered when someone else is making those decisions.

With regards first team recruitment, the DoF can run the scouting, draw up shortlists for the manager to consider, run information gathering and negotiate the deals.
Ole and co have a concrete vision of how we should play. Indeed we are playing that way, and everybody's happy.

I don't think there's a special plan out there to improve on it. The rest is just scouting, negotiating and bringing the academy lads through. Ole has coached our academy lads. He's perfect for that side of things.

Who is best placed to look at our squad and decide who should go? An office bound mega-brain or the fellas out there on the training ground?

Fellaini already out the door!

DOF is a weird one for me. As you say, maybe somebody who bridges CEO/scouts/manager on player recruitment and retention. I'm still not sure Ed and the Glazers are keen on that idea. Transparency with the manager not their forte - they would need to be transparent with a DOF.

Unread 28-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Baron

A good DoF isn't only there to take over the recruitment.

They manage the contract renewals / negotiations. Ole (if it is to be him) makes the decision on whether he wants to retain someone. The DoF then tells him if they are pricing themselves out of staying (because we could replace said player with someone the DoF has identified on a Free or potentially someone with a year left on their deal etc).

They also look after the reserves & youth recruitment, be that the coaches themselves or cherry picking some of the best from around the world. They help identify a pool of talent.

Whilst each structure is different, it seems like Utd do allow more autonomy for the manager / head coach than others when it comes to recruitment. You'd think that when Ole asks for something like "a commanding, athletic, world class centre back" for example, you'd end up with a pretty short list & some kind of option of how if he wanted say Varane or Koulibaly for example, it would have a pretty big impact on the total spend. They're £100m players + wages & all the other stuff. There's not enough hours in the day for Ole & team to go out & scout the world, it's not like the old Clough & Taylor partnership... (I've found another one) but certainly recommendations should be given if we play against serious talent (such as the Ronnie situation & surely the players would have said how good a De Light was etc after the Europa final?)

Ultimately we want a structure, and Ole shouldn't really be dictating how we play football through the club - you can see the implications of Cryuff's influence at Barca & the 4-3-3 style, implemented at every level. It allows a youth player to slot in, know the role before playing it with world class players. Not to say Utd will be that rigid, but we should certainly have that club culture of attacking football, pace, aggression & so on instilled from the earliest days of joining.

Either way, he's doing a wonderful job & should be complemented with some talent in the footballing side the money men aren't doing the business there.

Unread 28-02-2019, 05:16 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger

Times have changed though and we’re still doing things we did under managers in the 60’s etc. Need to stop thinking we’re going to fall upon another busby or Fergie, it’s not going to happen.

We can’t keep giving a manager hundreds of millions to spend on players then replace him after a few years and do it all again, that’s whats left us with this disjointed mess of a squad we have now.

We need a structure in place with a manager and DoF working towards the same vision. Manager tells the DoF the position and type of player he wants and the DOF and scouting finds them, they then agree on who would be the best player to go for.

Unread 28-02-2019, 05:19 PM
ScarFace

A director of football can only help things.

As it stands, we need to wait until one deal is completely sealed until we can do another. Even with outgoing mongs.

Unread 28-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

We already have a guy who identifies players and spends all summer making deals. His name is Edward and he loves the transfer window.

I'm very confident there will be no dof.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:07 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
We already have a guy who identifies players and spends all summer making deals. His name is Edward and he loves the transfer window.

I'm very confident there will be no dof.
I was optimistic we’d get a DoF in when the news first surfaced

But the longer it goes with out any genuine links or talk about one the less I think it’ll happen.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Tell me what other manager would have got 29 out of 33 points with this squad ?

Tell me what other manager would have won those two hard away FA cup ties ?

Tell me whatother manager would have the team spirit so high as it is now ?

Tell me what other manager would have the fans bouncing like they are ?

One for woody

Tel me what other manager would have the commercial sponsors champing at the bit to sign up because of the great football and happy fans
He has over-achieved, but they have to assess based on more than these 15 games, the first six of which we hoped to win before we'd even had an idea how good Ole is. The job now is to asses the extent to which they think Ole can really build on this.

Football is fickle. Many of the people dismissing Poch now had him as first choice two months ago. United lose a few big games and the thing will swing the other way again. The decision needs to be a calm one. If Madrid aren't going for Poch we maybe get more time.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:30 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He has over-achieved, but they have to assess based on more than these 15 games, the first six of which we hoped to win before we'd even had an idea how good Ole is. The job now is to asses the extent to which they think Ole can really build on this.

Football is fickle. Many of the people dismissing Poch now had him as first choice two months ago. United lose a few big games and the thing will swing the other way again. The decision needs to be a calm one. If Madrid aren't going for Poch we maybe get more time.
Won’t matter if Madrid were in for him tbf

He won’t last long there and would be good to get them out of his system before we look at him, even if we need to.

Unread 28-02-2019, 06:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Won’t matter if Madrid were in for him tbf

He won’t last long there and would be good to get them out of his system before we look at him, even if we need to.
I think he's a great fit for Madrid with their lowering budget and the young talent. He'd be catching Barca as Messi ages too.

But fair to say it could also go the other way and he's out inside six months.

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
A director of football can only help things.

As it stands, we need to wait until one deal is completely sealed until we can do another. Even with outgoing mongs.
We MUST get a DOF

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:23 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down

Quote:
. Many of the people dismissing Poch now had him as first choice two months ago. .
no we £#%&!ing didn't

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
no we £#%&!ing didn't
You're exempt pal. I know you've always hated the pudding faced @#%&!.

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:39 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
You're exempt pal. I know you've always hated the pudding faced @#%&!.
cheers bud

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Speaking more on the lads who had him first choice two months ago and now dissecting his failure to catch Leicester etc

Unread 28-02-2019, 07:41 PM
MagnificentSeven

apart from scotland, can people think of an "unconventional" footballing country like norway that has produced a top manager? i think of top managers throughout history, they've been from big name international countries like spain, italy, france, germany, argentina, portugal, the netherlands, brazil, etc.

can add norway to that list soon enough though.
Closed Thread