United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 25-05-2023, 08:14 AM
believe

It’s not that it gets to me, it’s just that I know the truth and even the links you’ve posted back me up. Every single case of human rights abuse is company related, not government related, I just don’t get why people can’t understand that.

Unread 25-05-2023, 08:15 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Why would I do something that would purposely insult people who live here and follow a certain religion? Isn’t it offensive to put up a Union Jack in England these days?

Plus no point doing something that’s already been done

https://www.metroweekly.com/2021/07/...c-gesture/amp/

To save you postage and 500 quid, why don’t you just give me an example of a human rights issue or slave labour occurrence that directly links the Qatar or UAE government?
I didn't know you worked at the embassy

Well hello Mr Ambassador...

In all seriousness though, it's no surprise you shit it. I don't blame you.

Quote:
Why would I do something that would purposely insult people who live here and follow a certain religion? Isn’t it offensive to put up a Union Jack in England these days?
No

The place is still littered with them a couple of weeks after the coronation.

Unread 25-05-2023, 09:32 AM
Ethers

Quote:
It’s not that it gets to me, it’s just that I know the truth and even the links you’ve posted back me up. Every single case of human rights abuse is company related, not government related, I just don’t get why people can’t understand that.
So it’s companies who came up with laws that discriminate against the rainbow people, and declare sodomy a criminal offence? It’s companies who strip citizenship from certain tribes? It’s companies who legislate against migrant workers joining trade unions? It’s companies who came up with the male guardianship system that denies women the chance to make key decisions about their own lives?

Sounds a hell of a company this.

Unread 25-05-2023, 09:40 AM
pc6090

All the people going on about human rights, freedom of speech, the state not allowing dissenting voices being an issue in Qatar are forgetting what it’s like in the UK in 2023.

Unread 25-05-2023, 09:42 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
So it’s companies who came up with laws that discriminate against the rainbow people, and declare sodomy a criminal offence? It’s companies who strip citizenship from certain tribes? It’s companies who legislate against migrant workers joining trade unions? It’s companies who came up with the male guardianship system that denies women the chance to make key decisions about their own lives?

Sounds a hell of a company this.
If these are the example of the human rights issue people are using then no you’re correct. But you could apply literally everyone of them to every country in the world, even in recent years. But every one of them is being discussed and changed year on year and will likely not exist in the next couple of years.

But these aren’t the examples people are using. Are you honestly telling me that you don’t want the Qataris because sodomy is illegal?

Unread 25-05-2023, 09:46 AM
tatty

Part of me wants the Ratcliffe/Glazer team to win just so their supporters on here get to enjoy the reality of United being irrelevant also-rans on the field and rotting away off it.

Unread 25-05-2023, 09:48 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Part of me wants the Ratcliffe/Glazer team to win just so their supporters on here get to enjoy the reality of United being irrelevant also-rans on the field and rotting away off it.
You mean like we've been for the last decade?

Quote:
If these are the example of the human rights issue people are using then no you’re correct. But you could apply literally everyone of them to every country in the world, even in recent years. But every one of them is being discussed and changed year on year and will likely not exist in the next couple of years.

But these aren’t the examples people are using. Are you honestly telling me that you don’t want the Qataris because sodomy is illegal?

Here's a simple question i'm hoping you can answer - why do they (Qatar) want to buy united?

Unread 25-05-2023, 09:55 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
You mean like we've been for the last decade?

Here's a simple question i'm hoping you can answer - why do they (Qatar) want to buy united?
As a financial investment but primarily as a way of promoting Qatar would be my guess.

Unread 25-05-2023, 09:59 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
That's a very liberal use of the word 'literally'.

Quote:
But these aren’t the examples people are using. Are you honestly telling me that you don’t want the Qataris because sodomy is illegal?[/b]
Literally an example you were engaging with a couple of hours ago, where you said it's absolutely fine to be gay, no worries. But then declined my offer of the rainbow flag because it wouldn't be accepted, and now you're accepting that it's illegal Qatar. And you couldn't answer why there was such an issue with rainbow iconography at the World Cup, a global event.

You also said it was company related, and nothing to with the state. But now you accept it is the state.

Flip flops suit you pal.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:07 AM
believe

I didn’t say it wouldn’t be accepted. I said why would I do something that could offend someone that lives here and what point would it prove? Most likely I’d be asked to take it down. The same way you’d be asked to take something down that offended someone in the UK. It’s just about respect, probably something that is lost in the UK.

It was “illegal” for unmarried couples to live together when I first arrived here. Thousands have f unmarried couples lived together without any fear. It’s now completely decriminalized.

I’ve said all along that the the UAE and Qatar all have some ridiculous rules relating to their religion but they’re learning every day and year on year they makes the right attempts to correct them and make them more accessible to the rest of the world.

It’s all pretty simple if you’ve got an open mind but you haven’t, you’ve made your bed and hopefully the Qataris won’t buy United so you can sleep at night in the comfort that you’re able to bum anyone you like.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:09 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
As a financial investment but primarily as a way of promoting Qatar would be my guess.

Definitely not a financial investment. They've offered what, 5/6bil..... plus what they'd need to add on top of that to get united back to the top....

ROI would be small, and a long way off at best.

Point i'm making is it's entirely about their reputation. Which begs the question, why do they need to improve their reputation?

I'm just surprised so many are happy with them using MUFC as a vehicle to 'promote' Qatar. I mean it's blatant, blatant sportswashing but some are fine with that providing they give us a billion quid to buy some players? We've given City and PSG (and now newcastle) plenty of shit for this but suddenly because it gets rid of the glazers it's acceptable.....

It's weird.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:13 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
I didn’t say it wouldn’t be accepted.

I said why would I do something that could offend someone that lives here and what point would it prove? Most likely I’d be asked to take it down. The same way you’d be asked to take something down that offended someone in the UK. It’s just about respect, probably something that is lost in the UK.
I think you mean 'told to take it down', right? And that doesn't sound like it's being accepted at all.

But if it's all about respect, then what about respect for LGBTQ+? Isn't that the whole £#%&!ing point? How and why is a rainbow flag showing a lack of respect for anyone?

Quote:
It’s all pretty simple if you’ve got an open mind but you haven’t, you’ve made your bed and hopefully the Qataris won’t buy United so you can sleep at night in the comfort that you’re able to bum anyone you like.
Could be reported that, but I think it's best left up for now tbh.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:15 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Could be reported that, but I think it's best left up for now tbh.
What a piece of passive aggressive @#%&!ery that is.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
What a piece of passive aggressive @#%&!ery that is.
If you think that my contribution in that particular back and forth is the @#%&!ery bit, then that says far more about you than it does about me pal.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:20 AM
tatty

Patty b please don’t snitch on me!

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:21 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Definitely not a financial investment. They've offered what, 5/6bil..... plus what they'd need to add on top of that to get united back to the top....

ROI would be small, and a long way off at best.

Point i'm making is it's entirely about their reputation. Which begs the question, why do they need to improve their reputation?

I'm just surprised so many are happy with them using MUFC as a vehicle to 'promote' Qatar. I mean it's blatant, blatant sportswashing but some are fine with that providing they give us a billion quid to buy some players? We've given City and PSG (and now newcastle) plenty of shit for this but suddenly because it gets rid of the glazers it's acceptable.....

It's weird.
What’s Radcliffe’s motivation then considering his bid is basically the same value? Are you telling me that one of the most successful businessmen in england is not doing this for financial gain?

It’s not about improving their reputation it’s about letting the world know that Qatar isn’t what it’s perceived to be by the rest of the world. They did it very successfully with the World Cup.

@patty, apologies “sodomize”

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:23 AM
magic_cantona

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I'm assuming that's why they were totally comfortable with Rainbow iconography at the World Cup... No issues there, were there?

There's reams of evidence supporting what I'm saying, including their actual £#%&!ing laws ffs

You on the other hand have offered £#%&! all, despite several requests whether on here or via PM.

Are you in Dubai still? If so lets make a deal. I'll pay for and ship over a giant LGBTQ+ rainbow flag to you direct. If you hang this flag from your balcony for a week, with a selifie photo from ground level every day to prove it, I'll send you £500.00, post a grovelling apology and bow down to your apparent greater knowledge about how free gay people are in the UAE, and change my name and avatar to anything you want forever.

I'm sure there'll be no issues for you in such an accepting and free place, right?

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:24 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Patty b please don’t snitch on me!
Forum rules tatty. I didn't put them in place but I do my best to respect the £#%&!ing things considering it's what best for the forum. It's not like regulars here haven't been made aware of what is accepted and what isn't outside of 'anything goes'.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:27 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
What’s Radcliffe’s motivation then considering his bid is basically the same value? Are you telling me that one of the most successful businessmen in england is not doing this for financial gain?

It’s not about improving their reputation it’s about letting the world know that Qatar isn’t what it’s perceived to be by the rest of the world. They did it very successfully with the World Cup.

@patty, apologies “sodomize”

That goes both ways though, what is Radcliffe trying to promote? His massively successful, already world wide known multi billion pound Ineos group that already has 2 football teams, a cycling team, a sailing team and 1/3rd of the most succesful formula 1 team of the last decade? Did he buy some second rate Swiss side as an investment, or is it just that he clearly has a thing for purchasing and running sports enterprises?

I'm not, by the way, saying Ratcliffe & Ineos is a some kind of perfect solution. Clearly a full sale would be better as no one wants the Glazers anywhere near the club. But there are precisely zero questions marks (at least, to my knowledge), about his human rights record or the way he treats women Is it not better to have someone who is at least 'local', would understand the history and culture of the club to a certain point, not purely leveraging the club and allowing it to run relatively organically?

The bottom line is: are you happy that MUFC will forever be associated with an oil state that has all of the issues I listed above (and then some)?

If so, fair enough. I - and many others - are not.

Unread 25-05-2023, 10:32 AM
puressence

Love the daily mail readers on Fred.