United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Mr_Ed

2 goals in a win at Anfield. It got Forlan a song!

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
that's simplistic. he subs mata irrespective of how he and others are playing.
It's not simplistic, Mourinho is all about the small details. Such as subbing Mata when he himself came on as a sub, he mentioned he was the smallest player on the pitch - he needed him before for a period of the game where a technical, goal scoring creator was required - he didn't need him for the last 4mins when balls are launched into the box.

Mata has a lot of qualities, but he's pointless for anything defensive or if a game was stretched & you needed someone to carry the ball with pace.

I think he's a cracking player, who's shown a lot of quality, but his physical limitations are obvious. Same as Lingard, Rashford, Zlatan... you're slow, small, weak etc - unless you're Pogba, in which case you're never going to lose out.

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think his issue with Mata at Chelsea was that he had Oscar and Hazard and he felt that the best balance for those two was a more industrious player like Willian. He knew he'd have to work extremely hard to get Hazard tracking back etc so Mata was a luxury.

I don't think Mata is underrated. He's never going to be an undisputed starter. He came close to that last year due to lack of options, but now I think he'll always take those spells out the side. Especially in big away games, as he did this season.

Remains to be seen whether he's a long-termer under Mourinho. Any Griezmann arrival would appear damaging.
Exactly. Different club. Different options. Different requirements. Why people are determined to retain something he did 3 years ago (while all the time saying he had no issue with him personally) rather than the context of here and now what's happening in front of them is baffling.

Seems the 'first out the door' crew feel a bit daft and will jump on any chance. Look he just subbed him! Yes, he also started him despite having a wealth of other options too

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:35 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
2 goals in a win at Anfield. It got Forlan a song!
mata mata mata mata mata mata....... scher-wing!

anyway, we almost all love the beautiful little dawdle arse lightweight. wouldn't be in my first xi, but still..... wouldn't sell him for actual money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
It's not simplistic, Mourinho is all about the small details. Such as subbing Mata when he himself came on as a sub, he mentioned he was the smallest player on the pitch - he needed him before for a period of the game where a technical, goal scoring creator was required - he didn't need him for the last 4mins when balls are launched into the box.

Mata has a lot of qualities, but he's pointless for anything defensive or if a game was stretched & you needed someone to carry the ball with pace.

I think he's a cracking player, who's shown a lot of quality, but his physical limitations are obvious. Same as Lingard, Rashford, Zlatan... you're slow, small, weak etc - unless you're Pogba, in which case you're never going to lose out.
that's very reasonable. it just doesn't apply to most of the times he's subbed mata on 60/70 mins.

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:39 AM
sa7

Quote:
I think his issue with Mata at Chelsea was that he had Hazard and he felt that the best balance was more industrious attacking players like Willian and Oscar. He knew he'd have to work extremely hard to get Hazard tracking back etc so Mata was a luxury.
I read that, at the time, Oscar was Abramovic's golden boy so getting rid of him was never an option so Mata was the one who had to be let go.

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:39 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Exactly. Different club. Different options. Different requirements. Why people are determined to retain something he did 3 years ago (while all the time saying he had no issue with him personally) rather than the context of here and now what's happening in front of them is baffling.

Seems the 'first out the door' crew feel a bit daft and will jump on any chance. Look he just subbed him! Yes, he also started him despite having a wealth of other options too
Also, things just change. He may even have arrived thinking he'd bin Mata again. But maybe he's seen an improvement, be it in attitude or tactical awareness perhaps. Mata also knew he'd have to step it up and fight to impress Mou; it was easier to leave Chelsea for United than to leave United for Everton, which is the club he was linked to last summer.

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
that's very reasonable. it just doesn't apply to most of the times he's subbed mata on 60/70 mins.
But, that's just like.... your opinion man......

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Also, things just change. He may even have arrived thinking he'd bin Mata again. But maybe he's seen an improvement, be it in attitude or tactical awareness perhaps. Mata also knew he'd have to step it up and fight to impress Mou; it was easier to leave Chelsea for United than to leave United for Everton, which is the club he was linked to last summer.
Yep. We have a whole new situation and circumstance to judge their relationship and the stats show only three players who start more games and he's selected regularly in a position where there are numerous other options.

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:53 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
I read that, at the time, Oscar was Abramovic's golden boy so getting rid of him was never an option so Mata was the one who had to be let go.
Oscar is (or was) also quite a hard-working and tactical player. So he balanced Hazard better than Mata would.

It's why you won't often in a big game - or even tricky away games like Everton, West Ham - see Mata and Martial start. Usually it'll be one or the other. Mourinho will always, in England, have that degree of caution when it comes to carrying defensively suspect players.

Unread 21-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
well yeah we can make up all the scenarios we like i suppose...

what mourinho has actually said is probably a better place to start though, and what he's actually said is that manchester united play differently to chelsea, more technically and creatively, more focus on trying to win with style rather than just getting results, making mata a perfect fit for us moreso than for chelsea...

it's an interesting point you make about greizman taking his place, but isn't that just moving the goalposts to make the same argument? greizman and mata seems a decent prospect together to me. throw in mhiki and pogba and if jose could get the balance right off the other side as well we could be peaking in some kind of cruyffian footballing nirvana sometime not long from now

Unread 21-02-2017, 10:01 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

what mourinho has actually said is probably a better place to start though, and what he's actually said is that manchester united play differently to chelsea, more technically and creatively, more focus on trying to win with style rather than just getting results, making mata a perfect fit for us moreso than for chelsea...

it's an interesting point you make about greizman taking his place, but isn't that just moving the goalposts to make the same argument? greizman and mata seems a decent prospect together to me. throw in mhiki and pogba and if jose could get the balance right off the other side as well we could be peaking in some kind of cruyffian footballing nirvana sometime not long from now

If you want, by all means.

This United side is fairly typical Mourinho. Even at Blackburn we were focused on transitional opportunities.

Unread 21-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Oscar is (or was) also quite a hard-working and tactical player. So he balanced Hazard better than Mata would.

It's why you won't often in a big game - or even tricky away games like Everton, West Ham - see Mata and Martial start. Usually it'll be one or the other. Mourinho will always, in England, have that degree of caution when it comes to carrying defensively suspect players.
in other words, mata is not the best option if you expect to be playing on the counter against a team missing out midfield quite a bit.

Quote:

If you want, by all means.

This United side is fairly typical Mourinho. Even at Blackburn we were focused on transitional opportunities.
no offence, but i'd rather listen to him than your danny murphy impression.

the team at blackburn was fairly typical man united

Unread 21-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Mata is a lot of things but he isn't an athlete, he looks like to has to work really hard just to keep up the fitness he has. Whether we are chasing the game or sitting on a lead hes usually the first change, as we are looking for more pace in attack or for defensive cover. He always looks knackered tbf so fresh legs for him always looks a decent option after an hour or so.

Unread 21-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
in other words, mata is not the best option if you expect to be playing on the counter against a team missing out midfield quite a bit.

the team at blackburn was fairly typical man united
Why Danny Murphy?

Unread 21-02-2017, 10:17 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Maybe go and reply to him on a forum then, pal.

Unread 21-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Maybe go and reply to him on a forum then, pal.
i thought i was

seriously though, there were people queuing up to sack mata the minute jose was appointed and the back peddling is pretty funny.

you saying that maybe he did fully intend to sack him but has changed his mind is exactly that. it's also pretty much what murphy now says.

fwiw i'm far from mata's biggest fan any more than i was berbatov's. but quality is quality and these are the players I pay to go and see - especially when the team isn't exactly packed with the stuff in certain other positions.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:00 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Mata is a lot of things but he isn't an athlete, he looks like to has to work really hard just to keep up the fitness he has. Whether we are chasing the game or sitting on a lead hes usually the first change, as we are looking for more pace in attack or for defensive cover. He always looks knackered tbf so fresh legs for him always looks a decent option after an hour or so.
yes, he's little and slow. but ibra is big and slow and mourinho keeps him on irrespective of his performance and the state of the game. mourinho clearly doesn't trust mata late in the game. but it doesn't seem particularly related to the way mata is playing, the energy he is showing or whether we need to attack to win or defend to hold a lead. it's just a preset. the fact is that mata is as likely to score as anyone in the team. and he will always be useless defensively, whether in the first minute or the last. you might as well say that bringing fellaini on for the last 20 minutes is a tactical move. it never is.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Do you read out all the posts aloud?

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Do you read out all the posts aloud?
yes, i give you all different voices as well.

Unread 21-02-2017, 12:37 PM
jem

Quote:

what mourinho has actually said is probably a better place to start though
you don't apply this to mrs may and brexit.
Closed Thread