United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:01 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Smithers, I'm beginning to think that Homer Simpson was not the brilliant tactician I thought he was.

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:05 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Let's be honest, it's an awful result.

A midweek, night game, Cup match under the floodlights of a packed Old Trafford, and we didn't even score. Despite the high number of 'attempts', I can't think of a gilt-edge chance we created.

We can talk about it being a second-string, but these lads have just as much to play for in terms of pushing for a starting XI spot, and West Ham also left out arguably their two best players in Rice and Antonio.

Obviously the Carabao Cup is far from the priority, but it's still a Cup, and we need to be winning any type of silverware ASAP, especially after the circus that we witnessed in the Europa League Final last season.

Very disappointed, tbh, and I'm growing a tad concerned at the lack of control we have on games, and identity in our play. It's all very slapdash, and last night was a striking example when we basically just thought "shit, it's not working again, stick Mason and Bruno on, and let's hope they rescue us with a moment of magic".

Need a big reaction at the weekend.
yes, except (a) it wasn't an awful result. we put a reserve team out and (rightly) treat the competition with disdain; (b) we did have a gilt-edged chance. greenwood missed it.

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:16 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yes, except (a) it wasn't an awful result. we put a reserve team out and (rightly) treat the competition with disdain; (b) we did have a gilt-edged chance. greenwood missed it.
Any home defeat where we don't score is an awful result, Jem. Manchester United should not be going 90 minutes at home without scoring, especially in a Cup match, ffs.

The Carabao Cup is 4th choice, probably 5th choice if you factor in the Europa if we're dumped out of the Champions League group stages, but it's still a trophy. Fergie used this competition as a launchpad a few times to instil that 'winning silverware' feeling in his teams, and it was especially useful when we won it in 2006.

You're right about Greenwood's chance, it was a big one, and he uncharacteristically scuffed the finish. Can't think of any others that we created though, despite so many pot-shots from distance, and seeing so much of the ball in the final third.

Fair play though, your boy Matic did provide the highlight of the game when he deliberately kneed that @#%&! in the %@#$&!s. Straight red if VAR was available, but worth it for the comedy value.

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:20 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Let's be honest, it's an awful result.

A midweek, night game, Cup match under the floodlights of a packed Old Trafford, and we didn't even score. Despite the high number of 'attempts', I can't think of a gilt-edge chance we created.

We can talk about it being a second-string, but these lads have just as much to play for in terms of pushing for a starting XI spot, and West Ham also left out arguably their two best players in Rice and Antonio.

Obviously the Carabao Cup is far from the priority, but it's still a Cup, and we need to be winning any type of silverware ASAP, especially after the circus that we witnessed in the Europa League Final last season.

Very disappointed, tbh, and I'm growing a tad concerned at the lack of control we have on games, and identity in our play. It's all very slapdash, and last night was a striking example when we basically just thought "shit, it's not working again, stick Mason and Bruno on, and let's hope they rescue us with a moment of magic".

Need a big reaction at the weekend.
Spot on. Tin pot or not, it's a pot. Pretty gutted tbh.

Unread 23-09-2021, 01:31 PM
dunk

It’s a strange one. Wasn’t remotely arsed about the game or result tbh. I was at the match so not on the match thread, which was totally at odds with what actually happened. They had a ropey opening 10-15 minutes, specifically Telles, but there were 7 players starting for the first time in ages, so I suppose to be expected. After that initial period they played quite well, West Ham were in the perfect scenario for them and were organised and solid. We struggled to break them down, but still should’ve been level at HT at least. Second half was frustrating, but it was clear fairly early when Dawson rose and clearly headed the ball for a corner and the ft #@&%! have a goal kick that it wasn’t our evening. Greenwood caused mayhem when he came on. Nobody struck the ball cleanly all night, everything was scuffed or sliced or West Ham got a block or toe end on it. Disappointing but shit happens. We’ve had a hell of a run in the domestic cups, we had to lose to one of the never ending procession of PL teams we play in every £#%&!ing round at some point.

4 big games on the spin, the selection was right as those on the periphery needed minutes and it was the only opportunity to give the firsts a breather before the marathon sprint to the international break.

Unread 23-09-2021, 02:50 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Thought Maradonney was a C+ last night and definitely has what it takes to cut in that position given a run of games. He was tidy, calm, showing for the ball in tight spots and always looking to get on the front foot. He's also combative and reads the game well.

Not picking him alongside McTom, instead of fred, gives me the jitters about what the three stooges* are missing

*Came after a camera shot of the three of them sitting in a row looking dazed and confused after the wham goal on Sunday

Unread 23-09-2021, 02:54 PM
dunk

Beeky was decent. Got stuck in, wasn’t out muscled and was tidy on the ball. Needs to be given chance to build on it though

Unread 23-09-2021, 02:54 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It’s a strange one. Wasn’t remotely arsed about the game or result tbh. I was at the match so not on the match thread, which was totally at odds with what actually happened. They had a ropey opening 10-15 minutes, specifically Telles, but there were 7 players starting for the first time in ages, so I suppose to be expected. After that initial period they played quite well, West Ham were in the perfect scenario for them and were organised and solid. We struggled to break them down, but still should’ve been level at HT at least. Second half was frustrating, but it was clear fairly early when Dawson rose and clearly headed the ball for a corner and the ft #@&%! have a goal kick that it wasn’t our evening. Greenwood caused mayhem when he came on. Nobody struck the ball cleanly all night, everything was scuffed or sliced or West Ham got a block or toe end on it. Disappointing but shit happens. We’ve had a hell of a run in the domestic cups, we had to lose to one of the never ending procession of PL teams we play in every £#%&!ing round at some point.

4 big games on the spin, the selection was right as those on the periphery needed minutes and it was the only opportunity to give the firsts a breather before the marathon sprint to the international break.
Careful now. That’s a very un-extreme and non-polarised.

Quote:
Beeky was decent. Got stuck in, wasn’t out muscled and was tidy on the ball. Needs to be given chance to build on it though
How did Neely do though?

Quote:
All this talk that VDB can’t play the deeper role. I don’t buy for one second that he can’t do a better job there than Fred. He reads the game better, has composure on the ball and can pick a pass. If he played 5 games there, he’d be a better option than Fred. He won’t though. It’ll be Fred and The Scottish Player again.

Matic was good too imo. A few wayward passes late on, but he’s soooo much better on the ball than Fred.

Unread 23-09-2021, 03:01 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
I personally thought he was poor in the second half. Got caught dawdling in possession a few times, and out of position, too.

Also thought he was very amateur with their goal, as he got drawn to the ball and left his man completely free in the box.

I can see why he isn't getting picked in the Premier League. Can see big games being too physical and too quick for him.

Unread 23-09-2021, 03:05 PM
atticusgrinch

Beeky competed well. Caught in possession a couple of times but he's barely played. You'd like to see more. Especially if the alternative is Fred.

Dalot's first start for united for what? 2 years?

Put in some great balls. Shame it was Tony in the box and not Cavani or Ron. Got up and down. Defended well. Touch and passing ability on a different planet to the unspeakable one.

Even a couple of cross field passes bang on the money.

Yet Ole will keep playing the felon because he spent £50m on him. Doubling down on the worst pound for pound transfer in the club's history, and damaging the teams width and attacking potential in the process.

Unread 23-09-2021, 03:10 PM
dunk

Dalot was average pal. Out of position the bulk of the time.

Unread 23-09-2021, 03:51 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Should be given a shot on the wing because he’s never a £#%&!ing right back.

Unread 23-09-2021, 03:57 PM
saffers

Quote:
Trying to beef Grinchy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
You’re the coach FFS… you’re supposed to cater for things like that.

Jesus Christ. Thanks for pointing out what we’ve all been aware of this last two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
He’s right in what he says but the question is what is he and the coaching staff going to do to rectify this issue on the training ground

There should be more structure to our attacking play other than leaving it to our players to figure it out on the pitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
If he’s just identified it as our issue then what the £#%&! has he been doing for the past 2 years? And if he’s known all along where we struggle, why has nothing been done to counter that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Thats where the coaching bit of your job comes in Ole.........ffs man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Smithers, I'm beginning to think that Homer Simpson was not the brilliant tactician I thought he was.
Shit he's another couple of losses away from full mutiny isn't he?

Unread 23-09-2021, 04:04 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I personally thought he was poor in the second half. Got caught dawdling in possession a few times, and out of position, too.

Also thought he was very amateur with their goal, as he got drawn to the ball and left his man completely free in the box.

I can see why he isn't getting picked in the Premier League. Can see big games being too physical and too quick for him.
Apart from creating the best chance of the game spot on

He was the best player on the pitch last night...

Unread 23-09-2021, 04:12 PM
AK14

Donny was okay… nothing more

out of position a quite a few times, outmuscled once or twice and the less said about his shooting the better. Still deserves a run in the team imo but that’s more to do with his name not being Fred than anything he’s done himself tbh.

Unread 23-09-2021, 04:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Donny was okay… nothing more

out of position a quite a few times, outmuscled once or twice and the less said about his shooting the better. Still deserves a run in the team imo but that’s more to do with his name not being Fred than anything he’s done himself tbh.
Sid in the first half playi.g deep - not his role, moved it forward positively, looking to break the lines and actually turn the ball onwards with pace, shame it was into martials feet....
Tough in the tackle and had something we lack at times, desire..

Second half he created the best chance of the game, pushed forward a lot more, dropping off the strikers looking for space and second ball...

If greenwood had cut it back better he'd have equalized....

Unread 23-09-2021, 04:46 PM
MUFC One Love

Get what you're saying Neo but city didn't score at home at the weekend. It happens.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:08 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He was the best player on the pitch last night...
he wasn't really, though, was he?

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:15 PM
rubbernecker

Absolutely baffled by the Donny fan boys

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:15 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he wasn't really, though, was he?
You haven't the first clue on how to build a midfield, cheers....