United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Will ole be backed financially to make these changes.....? Or does Avi pat him on the head and watch his blue eyes spin like a puppet...

Can Poch come in bringing some guys with him (Son) and asking for a war chest....
Ole. Avi's on the phone. he says we've sold everyone under 30.

oh and the electricity is getting cut off tomorrow

"okay. thanks guys"

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Honestly think they have to give them contracts to maintain numbers, then offload once they are replaced.
Would be a fine strategy if they weren’t also giving them massive pay rises way above their market worth.

Players like smalling and jones would be lucky to earn 70k a week at their next best alternative.

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:26 PM
ZiggyStardust

I said at half time in the match thread that I liked the game plan of pressing them high and trying to play out of the back
Refreshing change after Jose who would have had us defending deep and lumping long balls up the pitch

Felt we did both in the first half pretty well
A few times they beat the press but we nicked the ball off them on a number of occasions really well but then didn't take advantage of it
Also impressed with our composure to play out from the back but the problem was from the midfield onwards

2nd half the game plan of the first half went to shit

The big problem is outside of Pogba we have no creativity and no one in the midfield who can play a forward pass between the lines
Also for some reason since Moyes and the Fulham 80 plus cross game in tough games at OT we simply resort to playing the safe ball out wide and everyone runs into the box for the cross despite the fact we are £#%&!ing shite in the air

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Cream

'Reality check'

He then goes on to speak about how we respond. Nowt wrong with that.

Have to ask: where the £#%&! was shorts last night? Normally see him hovering around the touchline, getting involved.

When we had full numbers, early doors, we made too many nervous passes. Plan was clearly to try and overwhelm them in the first 20 mins and build up some momentum. Crowd would have been rocking.

Then the injuries.

Maybe he could have been more ruthless in his subs but £#%&! me - state of Rom and Alexis. We need a clear out.

Still the main man imo.

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:42 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Also for some reason since Moyes and the Fulham 80 plus cross game in tough games at OT we simply resort to playing the safe ball out wide and everyone runs into the box for the cross despite the fact we are £#%&!ing shite in the air
and crossing.

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Would be a fine strategy if they weren’t also giving them massive pay rises way above their market worth.

Players like smalling and jones would be lucky to earn 70k a week at their next best alternative.
But at a club where Sanchez is earning £350k a week plus bonuses, why would any £#%&!er that's playing regularly accept £70k?

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Sparky***

The next couple of weeks will tell us a lot about if giving him the job is a good idea or not.

Unread 13-02-2019, 12:57 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
New contracts for Young and Jones highlight the massive concern surrounding that issue.
Yep.

You don’t go giving contracts to jones, Smalling and young to keep numbers up. They should be the first to be replaced

Young I can understand tbh, experienced player that could be used as back up etc. The other two have been given bumper deals which will only make it harder to get shot of them.

This was my concern when we sacked Mourinho, that the board would go for a younger manger who wouldn’t expect a huge transfer budget and won’t rock the boat too much.

And definitely wait until may.

Unread 13-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Clownbones

Was our defeat anything to do with him?

Genuine question.

I had no problem with how we set up, with the 11. The problem was execution. We looked nervous. That's ultimately on him as he sets the tone. If we're to praise him when we play with confidence, it cuts the other way if we don't look right.

I think most of the issues from last night stemmed from the increased quality of opposition and the weaknesses in our squad.

Neither are his fault.

How we go in to that Chelsea game will answer a few questions.

Last night was the first real blow. It will have hurt them. Reaction will be interesting .

Unread 13-02-2019, 01:21 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
'Reality check'

He then goes on to speak about how we respond. Nowt wrong with that.

Have to ask: where the £#%&! was shorts last night? Normally see him hovering around the touchline, getting involved.

When we had full numbers, early doors, we made too many nervous passes. Plan was clearly to try and overwhelm them in the first 20 mins and build up some momentum. Crowd would have been rocking.

Then the injuries.

Maybe he could have been more ruthless in his subs but £#%&! me - state of Rom and Alexis. We need a clear out.

Still the main man imo.
If nothing else, the fact that I'm still disappointed and pissed off about last night is a testament to the job he's done so far.

100% guarantee if we'd lost 0-2 last night an Mourinho was still manager I wouldn't have given a £#%&!ing shit, because it would've been expected.

But the last couple of months have given us a reason for optimism going forward. Our better players are still of an age where they can improve. The older/poorer players can hopefully be replaced by younger, more talented and more hungry lads. And the manager, not to mention the club, seem to have identified where we've been going wrong the past few years and are taking steps to address then issues.

Cold light of day, there's enough reason for optimism for us not to take last night too hard.

Unread 13-02-2019, 01:22 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones

Genuine question.

I had no problem with how we set up, with the 11. The problem was execution. We looked nervous. That's ultimately on him as he sets the tone. If we're to praise him when we play with confidence, it cuts the other way if we don't look right.

I think most of the issues from last night stemmed from the increased quality of opposition and the weaknesses in our squad.

Neither are his fault.

How we go in to that Chelsea game will answer a few questions.

Last night was the first real blow. It will have hurt them. Reaction will be interesting .
Like you say the reaction is the key.

Our record at Stamford Bridge is terrible and no matter how poor they’ve been recently it’s going to be a tough game. There’s a chance that in less than a week we’re basically out of two competitions with Liverpool next up...

Win on Monday and he’s proven he can get a reaction out of the players.

Unread 13-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Our record at Stamford Bridge is terrible and no matter how poor they’ve been recently it’s going to be a tough game. There’s a chance that in less than a week we’re basically out of two competitions with Liverpool next up...

Performances and intent will tell us as much as results.

We could easily lose three in a row here simply because of the difficulty of the fixtures, but if we approach the games positively and show the right character, that will will tell us a lot (As well as increasing the chances of winning the games)

Unread 13-02-2019, 05:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Our record at Stamford Bridge is terrible and no matter how poor they’ve been recently it’s going to be a tough game
Maybe it depends on whether their players want to get the manager sacked more than they want to beat us?

Unread 13-02-2019, 05:23 PM
Coracao

Regardless of who the manager is next season, we will struggle to compete for a trophy that matters until we add some serious quality. We are deficient in so many areas.

Full backs
Centre back
2x Centre Mids
Right Winger
Striker

All need adding. And that is a £#%&! lot of cash.

Unread 13-02-2019, 05:49 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Regardless of who the manager is next season, we will struggle to compete for a trophy that matters until we add some serious quality. We are deficient in so many areas.

Full backs
Centre back
2x Centre Mids
Right Winger
Striker

All need adding. And that is a £#%&! lot of cash.
Yep. Really we are dependent on 2 or 3 of the kids coming good or picking up a bargain or 2 otherwise we're realistically 5 years behind the likes of PSG and not looking like being to bridge the gap with any pace.

Unread 13-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Yep. Really we are dependent on 2 or 3 of the kids coming good or picking up a bargain or 2 otherwise we're realistically 5 years behind the likes of PSG and not looking like being to bridge the gap with any pace.
Needs to be quicker than 5 years with a club of United' resources, and no manager is going to get that amount of time. The club need to get a far greater hit rate with their recruitment. They have attempted to address those positions I listed above (number of signings below) over the past 5 seasons. I honestly don't know if you can call a single signing a resounding success...maybe Zlatan and he was old as £#%&! The vast majority have come absolutely nowhere close to the standards expected of a United player. It is actually £#%&!ing astounding how bad it has been.

Central midfield - 6
Attacker - 5
Central Defenders - 4
CF - 3 (1 loan)
Full Back - 3

Unread 13-02-2019, 06:27 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Big result for #TeamPoch last night nqat.

He's got a big six pointer tonight and if he wins that you'd have to think its curtains for the Norwegian.
Pochettino has always been the strongest contender, last night doesn't really change what a great job OGS has done.

Unread 13-02-2019, 07:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Needs to be quicker than 5 years with a club of United' resources, and no manager is going to get that amount of time. The club need to get a far greater hit rate with their recruitment. They have attempted to address those positions I listed above (number of signings below) over the past 5 seasons. I honestly don't know if you can call a single signing a resounding success...maybe Zlatan and he was old as £#%&! The vast majority have come absolutely nowhere close to the standards expected of a United player. It is actually £#%&!ing astounding how bad it has been.

Central midfield - 6
Attacker - 5
Central Defenders - 4
CF - 3 (1 loan)
Full Back - 3
Agreed. The speed we get transfers done and the amount of money required just makes it look an impossible task imo.

Unread 13-02-2019, 08:38 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Big result for #TeamPoch last night nqat.

He's got a big six pointer tonight and if he wins that you'd have to think its curtains for the Norwegian.
I still can't get my head around this one. After this season the guy has 5 years left on his current contract. A deal he signed to secure pay rises for him (and his very big) staff. 5 years. Most papers talk have Spurs demanding a fee in excess of £40million, it's just not a sum that United would sanction bearing in mind what the squad needs - and even that (squad improvement) is a big £#%&!ing if with the Glazer's in charge.

Unread 13-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
But at a club where Sanchez is earning £350k a week plus bonuses, why would any £#%&!er that's playing regularly accept £70k?
Woodward’s set a marker which has inflated wages even more with that deal. Even if Sanchez goes, we’re left with everyone else on inflated wages because of it. And any new player coming in who’s actually of the standard required will want the same or more wages than the average shite are on. It’s £#%&!ed. We’re like city in the 90s.

Sandro on 40k a week at juve. Shaw on 150k a week. It’s the same all over the squad. And if woodward signed Sandro he’d have him on 150k or more a week when our competitors for his signature would be offering 80k.

The only way it can begin to be fixed is if woodward is replaced so the new man can say it’s a £#%&! up of the previous regime and the policy has since changed. And they do the same for new contracts with existing players, unless their market value suggests their wage should increase.

Quote:
And definitely wait until may.
May is way too late. I don’t think anyone will do a better job than Ole. He knows what’s required already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones

Genuine question.
I don’t think so. We’ve often seen those kinds of performances from better united teams in big european games prior to 2008. Never got it from shitter Liverpool teams though.

Quote:
Don’t think the manager can do much about the reaction to this. It all depends on whether it’s damaged their self image and confidence or whether they brush it off. Ole can try and make it the latter, but ultimately it’s on the players. They can’t blame mourinho this time.
Closed Thread