United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 15-11-2019, 04:42 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty View Post
'State Broadband'

You get what you're given on bandwidth and have zero choice of provider.

Outstanding!
Ah the old choice chestnut.

Like I said before it was this Tory mantra of choice and the Thatcher government 's decision to open the UK to US cable companies that set the UK back 20 years in developing it's infrastructure

Surely you must recognise that selling off our cutting edge tech and skills to Korea was one of the worst decisions ever

If only someone could have guessed that this digital network interweb thing was going to take off eh

Thatcher's cabinet discussing the internet and deciding it wasn't that big a deal

Last edited by rubbernecker; 15-11-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Unread 15-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Terry Truthman

Meanwhile, in the constituency of Chorley:

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/politics/...xit-1-10104749

Unread 15-11-2019, 07:12 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
I mean, the Sun FFS. What next, Weekly World News??

(Had to Google Weekly World News)

Unread 15-11-2019, 08:17 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
Just remembered he was an evacuee not a soldier in it

He was in the RAF later. My point stands. Top bloke and not racist.
sounds a right bell end

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
maybe she meant the w.a. if she was subtly combatting project fear, someone must have put her up to it.

no comments on clinton or tusk interfering in our election, then?
ive heard mick fleetwood is playing the drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock View Post
Boardman looks like Bruce Springsteen after a stroke...

Alex Philips gives me a twitch....

https://twitter.com/LKipperland/stat...57573989339136
remember when they wheeled chris boardman out at old trafford on his bike after he won the olympics he rode round the pitch on it , think he did the halftime cash dash draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
When are the official manifestos dropping ?
13th december

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post
Yeah excellent policy tbf. Could make a hell of a difference. To what, I’m not sure.

Hearing they’re going to throw in a 6 month Netflix subscription too.
i use my dads account

Unread 15-11-2019, 08:38 AM
beersexchipsgravy

Keep hearing MP after MP saying they are knocking on doors day in day out and they are ALL getting excellent feedback on the doorstep. Every single one of them. Tory, Labour, LibUNdem, green, SNP, Monster Raving, Plaid cmymremniumnim.

Have any fredsters ever got a knock on the door off an MP in the last few weeks? The last few years? Is this really a thing?

Unread 15-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker View Post
Ah the old choice chestnut.

Like I said before it was this Tory mantra of choice and the Thatcher government 's decision to open the UK to US cable companies that set the UK back 20 years in developing it's infrastructure

Surely you must recognise that selling off our cutting edge tech and skills to Korea was one of the worst decisions ever

If only someone could have guessed that this digital network interweb thing was going to take off eh

Thatcher's cabinet discussing the internet and deciding it wasn't that big a deal
Tbh rubber you're not addressing the point and have gone off on a tangent.

Choice of internet provider is better than not. Single choice state provider would be a racket.

Unread 15-11-2019, 08:40 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersexchipsgravy View Post
Keep hearing MP after MP saying they are knocking on doors day in day out and they are ALL getting excellent feedback on the doorstep. Every single one of them. Tory, Labour, LibUNdem, green, SNP, Monster Raving, Plaid cmymremniumnim.

Have any of my fredsters ever got a knock on the door off an MP in the last few weeks? The last few years? Is this really a thing?
Had a Tory knock on at the last election

Called him “the personification of evil” which amused him

Unread 15-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Truthman View Post
Meanwhile, in the constituency of Chorley:

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/politics/...xit-1-10104749

Sound about right.

Pointless exercise by the greens and Brexit-Smith (ffs) standing against Hoyle. If it was the actual Brexit party standing then it would have been interesting to see if the traditional Tory voters would go to the polls to vote for them, but no-one is going to vote for that gimp. And the Greens had to run a facebook campaign to raise £500.00 they needed to put a candidate up. Hoyle has a 7500+ majority, it's going to be nice for him to massively extend that for when he plants his arse in the speakers chair.

And at least some people will earn a nice wedge and an easy early night counting the votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex View Post
Tbh rubber you're not addressing the point and have gone off on a tangent.

Choice of internet provider is better than not. Single choice state provider would be a racket.
I might be wrong, but isn't the policy to provide internet for all and not make the state internet the only choice available?

Unread 15-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Switching Off

Unread 15-11-2019, 08:53 AM
beersexchipsgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
Had a Tory knock on at the last election

Called him “the personification of evil” which amused him
#nothingbutpositivefeedback