Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
City and Murderers would of drawn each other

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:23 PM
The Return of JC

Default Re: Champions league draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
only 2 teams have overcome a home 1st leg loss in CL, thats one i noticed
But that stat is misleading. That's usually the case because the team finishing top of a group (the team home in the 2nd leg) is usually better than the other. Hence why they finished top.

As for this 'knowing what you have to do at home' thing. Erm, no you don't. You don't know anymore than you do before an away tie. If you draw your home tie 1-1, you know you definitely have to score an away. Definitely. You wouldn't know that if the away leg was first.

EDIT: Also, if you play away leg second and the tie goes to extra time, that away side gets an extra 30 minutes to score an away goal that the home side never had.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

So if we get to semis (won't) we are at home second leg again.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:24 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
So if we get to semis (won't) we are at home second leg again.
Yep.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
But that stat is misleading. That's usually the case because the team finishing top of a group (the team home in the 2nd leg) is usually better than the other. Hence why they finished top.

As for this 'knowing what you have to do at home' thing. Erm, no you don't. You don't know anymore than you do before an away tie. If you draw your home tie 1-1, you know you definitely have to score an away. Definitely. You wouldn't know that if the away leg was first.

EDIT: Also, if you play away leg second and the tie goes to extra time, that away side gets an extra 30 minutes to score an away goal that the home side never had.
get your point but thats only for one round anyway

PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
best league in the world
Not sure what your point is? this could have just as easily happened in our league

dunk

Quote:
£#%&!s me right off that does. Away goals shouldn't count in extra time.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
£#%&!s me right off that does. Away goals shouldn't count in extra time.
Bit scouse tbh.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Bit scouse tbh.
No, you have half an hour with the scores level. Whoever scores the most in extra time wins. Why should one team's goals count double?

I understand the theory, but it doesn't work for me, 1 team gets the unfair advantage of having an extra half hour needing to achieve, effectively, half as much. I don't like it.

I just don't like the away goal rule tbh. I can't think of an alternative though.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:41 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
get your point but thats only for one round anyway

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:44 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
No, you have half an hour with the scores level. Whoever scores the most in extra time wins. Why should one team's goals count double?

I understand the theory, but it doesn't work for me, 1 team gets the unfair advantage of having an extra half hour needing to achieve, effectively, half as much. I don't like it.

I just don't like the away goal rule tbh. I can't think of an alternative though.
Exactly. Even if home leg second is a slight advantage (which I don't think it is), it's nowhere near as big as it's made out to be. People mention it straight away like it's a huge contributing factor. Neither here nor there.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:45 PM
borsuk

i'd just bin the away goals rule completely. stupid rule it is.

extra time and penalties. course, if you get rid of the abomination of the group phrase and just put the champions in then you've got time for replays as well...

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

First things first they should address the bans. Guarantee someone will miss the final for a yellow in the semis for something £#%&!ing stupid like a foul throw in.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:47 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
i'd just bin the away goals rule completely. stupid rule it is.

extra time and penalties. course, if you get rid of the abomination of the group phrase and just put the champions in then you've got time for replays as well...
Completely agree.

Remember when there were TWO group stages. Christ, now that was a waste of time!

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:49 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
First things first they should address the bans. Guarantee someone will miss the final for a yellow in the semis for something £#%&!ing stupid like a foul throw in.
Good point.

It'd be interesting to see the stats on final appearances and how many teams have players banned. It's always a lot and that reflects badly on the laws, not the clubs or players.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:51 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
Not sure what your point is? this could have just as easily happened in our league
well, we've got bolton or stoke in the fa cup final and in europe next year.

birmingham have already won the carling cup.

and the top two this year will be different to the top two last year.

apart from that, yeah, could have been just the same.

on the second leg away, it is different. playing at home in any game is a big advantage but it's harder to take advantage of that when the stupid away goals rule is hanging over you. logically it shouldn't make a difference but psychologically it does. imo.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Good point.

It'd be interesting to see the stats on final appearances and how many teams have players banned. It's always a lot and that reflects badly on the laws, not the clubs or players.
Nedved
Fletcher
Keane
Scholes
Abidal

to start with anyway.

Unread 18-03-2011, 01:58 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
well, we've got bolton or stoke in the fa cup final and in europe next year.

birmingham have already won the carling cup.

and the top two this year will be different to the top two last year.

apart from that, yeah, could have been just the same.

on the second leg away, it is different. playing at home in any game is a big advantage but it's harder to take advantage of that when the stupid away goals rule is hanging over you. logically it shouldn't make a difference but psychologically it does. imo.
So aren't you therefore agreeing that it isn't an advantage to play at home second, albeit for different reasons?

I agree too on that. So many teams handicap themselves at home because they're shit scared of the supposedly crucial away goal. Just win the £#%&!in game! Doesn't matter how you do it!

Factor in that, the extra time that the away team gets to score an away goal, and the fact you know exactly how many away goals you need if you go away second leg, and it's really no advantage at all. Even if it was, it's only minor.

Unread 18-03-2011, 02:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Agree with that.

Each suspension should be reviewed and a decision made as to whether the players should play. It's not going to be a big job, view the videos, if the player was unlucky, harshly dealt with or a victim of an honest mistake, let them play. Totting up of yellow cards, let them play, unless they did something particularly devious to get the 2nd/3rd yellow. Anything malicious, violent or cynical stands. It's fairly simple, and Nedved, Fletcher, Abidal, Keane and Scholes don't miss anything and the final doesn't miss them.

Unread 18-03-2011, 02:02 PM
dunk

Quote:
Completely agree.

Remember when there were TWO group stages. Christ, now that was a waste of time!
I £#%&!ing hated that. It killed the competition for me, that and the dippers winning it it's been shit ever since, except when we're playing.
Closed Thread