Unread 24-06-2022, 10:30 PM
Ethers

Barthez?!

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:33 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Barthez?!
I honestly thought OT was perfect for him - larger than life character - he just seemed to shrink- and got more short arsed

Actually Zaha one of the worst - mega-talented but hopeless at OT.

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:47 PM
jem

barthez was just short. nothing to do with attitude.

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:47 PM
silv

Shrivel - Di Maria

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:48 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony

again, not attitude. just very inconsistent talent. he's been no better anywhere else.

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:49 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
again, not attitude. just very inconsistent talent. he's been no better anywhere else.
Been very good for Palace

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Mr_Ed

Barthez was a £#%&!ing liability.

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:51 PM
M33mike

Schneidelin shrivelled like a salted slug

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
That's the point. Eric was born to play on that stage and nothing he had done before singled him out. I expected Barthez to step up and be 'the keeper' but he didn't.
I thought the thread title suggested it was more to do with not being up to the challenge like a sort of fight or flight thing.

Like Maguire. Anyone expecting him to be anything else as a footballer mustn’t have watched him before. I expected more as a personality, but not as a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33mike
Yes. Di Maria has to be up there too.

And, ya know, this whole squad.

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:52 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
It's not attitude it's character - is the stage built for him - Some step up some don't -

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Pop

Veron

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:53 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33mike
Exactly. a very good player but Utd was too big for him.

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
It's not attitude it's character
Stunned people have not got the brief.

Unread 24-06-2022, 10:58 PM
Ethers

It just didn’t work out as we hoped for Barthez, I don’t think it was anything to do with shrivelling tbh. He’d won the Champions League, World Cup and European Championship. Kept clean sheets in the biggest finals of all etc.

Unread 24-06-2022, 11:00 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Veron
Still the most disappointing signing in terms of expectation, the start he made…and how it turned out.

I still think that’s the one time we’ve signed a genuinely world class
Player in their peak, while we’ve been too dogs. He was a wonderful player. I remember watching him at Blackburn (might have been his debut?) and he just didn’t give the ball away. Then scored and ran the show against Everton at home and thought we had a real star on our hands….. but he never followed it up. Was never anywhere near as bad as people made out and
Played his part in a title winning team the next year, but such a disappointment from what he should have been.

Quote:
It just didn’t work out as we hoped for Barthez, I don’t think it was anything to do with shrivelling tbh. He’d won the Champions League, World Cup and European Championship. Kept clean sheets in the biggest finals of all etc.
This. His form just took a horrendous nosedive. Don’t think it had anything to do with character, personality, the stage etc.

Unread 24-06-2022, 11:02 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
It was weird - it seemed a perfect match - top quality arrogant player.

Unread 24-06-2022, 11:03 PM
dunk

Quote:
I honestly thought OT was perfect for him - larger than life character - he just seemed to shrink- and got more short arsed

He was a bit young to be slapped with that imo. And he’s not really that good tbh.

Unread 24-06-2022, 11:05 PM
redhegemony

Ince - perfect fit - arrogant and talented wanted to play on the big stage.

Unread 24-06-2022, 11:05 PM
tatty

I don't think I've ever seen a player's confidence crumble like Barthez's.

Maybe Leighton.
Closed Thread