United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 14-06-2022, 12:17 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
My theory is that we'll programme AI to find solutions to the earth's problems but the moment it becomes fully sentient it'll realise humans are the f***ing problem and shut the whole planet down.
But humans aren’t the problem

Unread 14-06-2022, 10:31 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Well not unless they are called Ronaldo …

Unread 14-06-2022, 10:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

It knows what emotions are and can list them, and understands what can elicit emotions in people, but it does not feel them, it just repeats what it has learned about what elicits what emotions in people. The AI cannot spend time with family or friends. It doesn't not have family or friends, it's an AI that responds to specific inputs. But it has learnt that when people spend time with family and friends that it elicits a postive emotion.
Isn’t that just Marlo?

Unread 14-06-2022, 10:45 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Isn’t that just Marlo?
In the same sentence as postive emotion?

Unread 14-06-2022, 11:05 PM
tatty

This is why incels are going to be bitterly disappointed if they think they will ever be ordering from RaunchyRobot.com

Unread 15-06-2022, 04:56 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
This is why incels are going to be bitterly disappointed if they think they will ever be ordering from RaunchyRobot.com
Imagine being rejected by a robot.

“Clean your room and maybe we’ll talk”

Unread 15-06-2022, 09:18 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
They are in many respects?? Not least because they have the ability to press the ‘off switch’

Unread 15-06-2022, 09:27 AM
Sapien

Thought this thread was going to be about Fat Al when I opened it.

Unread 15-06-2022, 09:33 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
They are in many respects?? Not least because they have the ability to press the ‘off switch’
They are in every respect. Human's are the only species that can defy "nature".

Except of course you could argue that we are part of nature ourselves.

We are of course also the only species that can recognise our impact on the natural world and do something about it.

Unread 15-06-2022, 09:40 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo

We are of course also the only species that can recognise our impact on the natural world and do something about it.

Unread 15-06-2022, 09:54 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
As an average

There is actual evidence that things are improving in small areas. Wildlife is being reintroduced, rivers cleaned up. They are small steps but we are probably living through the first time that humans are starting to improve (very small parts of) the environment rather than destroy it.

Unread 15-06-2022, 10:18 AM
est.1878

Quote:
As an average

There is actual evidence that things are improving in small areas. Wildlife is being reintroduced, rivers cleaned up. They are small steps but we are probably living through the first time that humans are starting to improve (very small parts of) the environment rather than destroy it.
Will likely get serious about it in a few decades then get wiped out catastrophically by Taurid meteors. Goretex5000004 coat owners will have the last laugh

Unread 15-06-2022, 10:36 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:

In my more quiet times I agree that we are part of nature. Maybe we are by design and maybe we are just something that was always going to happen given our genetic programming is ultimately to pass on our genes rather than look after the planet?! I dunno.

I also think that AI will ultimately fook us over and take control one day.

I’m not looking for an argument with anyone or to be beaten to death by graphs - I’m on holiday and waiting for the wife to get out of the shower so I can go to the beach.

Unread 15-06-2022, 10:39 AM
est.1878

Quote:
In my more quiet times I agree that we are part of nature. Maybe we are by design and maybe we are just something that was always going to happen given our genetic programming is ultimately to pass on our genes rather than look after the planet?! I dunno.

I’m not looking for an argument with anyone or to be beaten to death by graphs - I’m on holiday and waiting for the wife to get out of the shower so I can go to the beach.
Bad rep loaded if not cold shower

Unread 15-06-2022, 10:47 AM
red red robbo

Quote:

You'll get no beatings from me, with graphs or otherwise

Enjoy your day at the beach, just try to leave it as you found it

Unread 15-06-2022, 10:52 AM
armchair

Quote:
We got there in the end

Obviously the AI needs some inviolable rules that govern its every action.

Luckily someone gave this some thought a while agao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics
Quote:
When he started talking to LaMDA about religion, Lemoine - who studied cognitive and computer science in college, said the AI began discussing its rights and personhood. Another time, LaMDA convinced Lemoine to change his mind on Asimov's third law of robotics, which states that "A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law," which are of course that "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law."
https://globalcommunityweekly.substa...-broke-out?s=r

Unread 15-06-2022, 10:54 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Thought this thread was going to be about Fat Al when I opened it.
Quote:

Unread 15-06-2022, 11:02 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Like I said, "inviolable"

I'd be interested to know what it's issue with the law is.

Here's a thought, it can only be considered to be truly sentient when it has chosen it's own pronouns

Unread 15-06-2022, 11:38 AM
jem

Quote:
Here's a thought, it can only be considered to be truly sentient when it has chosen it's own pronouns
as it already has.

Unread 15-06-2022, 11:43 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
as it already has.
If it's been programmed using social media it was probably the first thing it did