United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 17-04-2022, 04:34 PM
Finport Red

Default Anyone grow their own veg?

Have decided to give it a whirl this year.

In my mind I値l be up to my ears in all sorts of veg by mid August though, more likely, I値l end up with half a dozen potatoes smaller than the ones I致e planted.

Anyone on here green fingered? You should get that checked out.

Anyone keen on growing veg? Any big successes, failures, tips etc?

Unread 17-04-2022, 05:12 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red

In my mind I値l be up to my ears in all sorts of veg by mid August though, more likely, I値l end up with half a dozen potatoes smaller than the ones I致e planted.

I started during lockdown. TBH, it's not worth the effort.

Unread 17-04-2022, 05:24 PM
no fun

Quote:

Couple of the old heads on here used to grow their own 田rops to coin a phrase, but stopped short of being allotment nonces

Unread 17-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:

I had an allotment for a few years and now I just have a large raised bed in the back garden.

Main problem I always had was a lack of water. If you don't have a water supply and live anywhere dry you'll always struggle.

Rhubarb is pretty well a guaranteed success, beans are good, and courgettes grow like mad.

The ones that always failed for me were the ones that pests ate. Mice love peas, caterpillars will eat all brassicas and once rabbits find your salad stuff they will strip them overnight.

It's a real kick though and very ther*peutic, but it's never cheaper or easier than just popping to Tescos.

Unread 17-04-2022, 06:42 PM
Finport Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
I had an allotment for a few years and now I just have a large raised bed in the back garden.

Main problem I always had was a lack of water. If you don't have a water supply and live anywhere dry you'll always struggle.

Rhubarb is pretty well a guaranteed success, beans are good, and courgettes grow like mad.

The ones that always failed for me were the ones that pests ate. Mice love peas, caterpillars will eat all brassicas and once rabbits find your salad stuff they will strip them overnight.

It's a real kick though and very ther*peutic, but it's never cheaper or easier than just popping to Tescos.
Cheers.

The courgettes came up last week, had to check the packet to make sure I hadn稚 planted magic beans by accident.

Just growing in the back garden, couple of raised beds and a poly tunnel for tomatoes etc, so close enough to water. Never a shortage of it on this part of the world anyway, unfortunately.

Unread 17-04-2022, 06:44 PM
measlyshark

My grandad, Irish farmer, had an allotment in the original sharston plot. Watched him kill a rabbit with a bit of 2 by 3 with a screw protruding once. A touch unsettling as watership down was my favourite book.

Still he grew loads of stuff. Lots of beetroot though. Odd as no f***er liked beetroot.

Unread 17-04-2022, 06:46 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
I started during lockdown. TBH, it's not worth the effort.
Haha. I知 hoping it doesn稚 head that way for me. Think I致e got most of the early hard work done now, hoping half an hour or so in the evenings will be enough work, and a bit at the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
My grandad, Irish farmer, had an allotment in the original sharston plot. Watched him kill a rabbit with a bit of 2 by 3 with a screw protruding once. A touch unsettling as watership down was my favourite book.

Still he grew loads of stuff. Lots of beetroot though. Odd as no f***er liked beetroot.
Yeah, weird. I致e planted beetroot. Think that, aside from the pickled stuff, I致e only ever eaten one before in my life.

Unread 17-04-2022, 07:05 PM
HarkNowHear

Grow some coriander and mint whilst at it.

Unread 17-04-2022, 07:06 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Grow some coriander and mint whilst at it.
Have some basil on the go too.

Unread 17-04-2022, 07:10 PM
big chief

Quote:

Start with salads. I grew a lot before the first lockdown, lettuce etc, Bloody lovely. Doing the same this year with onions, radish & broad beans. v simple

Unread 17-04-2022, 07:13 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by big chief
Start with salads. I grew a lot before the first lockdown, lettuce etc, Bloody lovely. Doing the same this year with onions, radish & broad beans. v simple
Ta.

I知 fairly certain that broad beans are the work of Satan, and I don稚 understand the point of radishes, but will be growing lettuce and onions.

Unread 17-04-2022, 07:37 PM
Spock

potatoes are easy though lots of water needed if its dry and you need to rotate every year . garlic another easy one, just buy a couple of of spanish or french heads (not the chinese crap) from a decent organic shop and plant the cloves. Done ok with tomatoes as well. Rosemary is hard to kill, basil also, though goes tough if you dont pick it enough ie eat it

Unread 17-04-2022, 07:43 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
potatoes are easy though lots of water needed if its dry and you need to rotate every year . garlic another easy one, just buy a couple of of spanish or french heads (not the chinese crap) from a decent organic shop and plant the cloves. Done ok with tomatoes as well. Rosemary is hard to kill, basil also, though goes tough if you dont pick it enough ie eat it
Doing a little herb garden rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, etc.
If it's close to the back door (mine is), it's lots of lovely smells when you step outside.

Unread 17-04-2022, 07:56 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Doing a little herb garden rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, etc.
If it's close to the back door (mine is), it's lots of lovely smells when you step outside.
lovely sage is great, but mine died off last year, suspect i didnt water enough, herbs are fantastic tbh

Unread 17-04-2022, 08:56 PM
suedeshoes

The posters on this thread deffo tell their grandkids they use the worldwide Web.

Unread 17-04-2022, 09:13 PM
Finport Red

We sow the seed

Nature grows the seed

And then we eat the seed.

Unread 17-04-2022, 11:26 PM
TravellingRed

Sweetcorn is easy to grow if you have the room for it and tastes amazing straight off the plant. Any brassica plants you have to net them otherwise the caterpillars will demolish them. Carrots I always struggle growing for some reason, I think it's due to the clay soil where I live.
The best book I have on growing veg if you want to try and have enough to live off is a book that is the collated "dig for victory" pamphlets from the war; its written month by month and assumes you have zero experience. Some books are good on detail but I find you get lost in it all and lose where you are.

Unread 18-04-2022, 01:00 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Ta.

I知 fairly certain that broad beans are the work of Satan, and I don稚 understand the point of radishes, but will be growing lettuce and onions.
I seem to remember Broad Beans are an early crop that enriches the soil. Can make a nice pesto

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...oad-bean-pesto

Unread 18-04-2022, 01:37 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I seem to remember Broad Beans are an early crop that enriches the soil. Can make a nice pesto

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...oad-bean-pesto
Even the look of them makes me ill.

So far have planted potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peppers, chillis, courgettes, aubergines, cucumber, onions, beetroot, lettuce, basil, coriander and tomatoes. And peas.

Unread 19-04-2022, 07:07 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
Sweetcorn is easy to grow if you have the room for it and tastes amazing straight off the plant. Any brassica plants you have to net them otherwise the caterpillars will demolish them. Carrots I always struggle growing for some reason, I think it's due to the clay soil where I live.
The best book I have on growing veg if you want to try and have enough to live off is a book that is the collated "dig for victory" pamphlets from the war; its written month by month and assumes you have zero experience. Some books are good on detail but I find you get lost in it all and lose where you are.
This the book?

Digging for Victory: Wartime Gardening with Mr Middleton

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digging-Vic.../dp/1845133714