United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Sloppy

Default Is this the greatest goal EVER?

[YOUTUBE]ltEaUSTiIZQ[/YOUTUBE]
I wouldnt say ever but its not bad.http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007210760,00.html

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM
benallen

He was definitly trying to cross it!

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by benallen
agreed

Giggs 99

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_football
agreed

Giggs 99
£#%&!ing #@&%! journos in the sun don't even list it

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:25 AM
1MUFC

[YOUTUBE]cilUpB9UUfc[/YOUTUBE]

I love it, United in one.

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
£#%&!ing #@&%! journos in the sun don't even list it
If you look at the goal giggs scored, the ball didn't leave his foot by 2 or 3 inchs, I could of done the one Beckham did, but i don't think I would have any chance of doing what Giggs did, without that goal, we might of £#%&!ed everything up...treble, double and league

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Or is this the best
[YOUTUBE]6P206zhQkAA[/YOUTUBE]
or this
[YOUTUBE]MMnR1QM5Te4[/YOUTUBE]
or this
[YOUTUBE]xosnfkERvsQ[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_football
If you look at the goal giggs scored, the ball didn't leave his foot by 2 or 3 inchs, I could of done the one Beckham did, but i don't think I would have any chance of doing what Giggs did, without that goal, we might of £#%&!ed everything up...treble, double and league
Ronaldo could not have scored that Goal. His dribbling technique is totally different to Giggs, more staccato and tricks, Giggs just flowed and kept the ball so close to him it was impossible for the defender to set themselves for a tackle with total confidence, the ball never went far enough form his foot to present an opportunity.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
edwin

As regards the first one, apparently Liam Miller did that all the time in training

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:12 PM
jem

watching giggs run with the ball was like watching a trickle of water running down a window.

no better sight in the last 20 years.

£#%&!ing hell, that @#%&! neville p did his best to £#%&! it up for us, though. :0)

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:24 PM
est.1878

I think this is the best single touch goal I've ever seen

[YOUTUBE]-9hK8b1BsKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Wow

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
I think this is the best single touch goal I've ever seen

[YOUTUBE]-9hK8b1BsKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Wow
Great goal. But is it not just a standard volley, from a high, soft cross he could run under?

Best volley ever - cross coming low, fast, and from BEHIND him. Try this on the park sometime:

[YOUTUBE]3NLueHEhKTc[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:35 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Great goal. But is it not just a standard volley, from a high, soft cross he could run under?

Best volley ever - cross coming low, fast, and from BEHIND him. Try this on the park sometime:

[YOUTUBE]3NLueHEhKTc[/YOUTUBE]
Ah but I think the pressure of the occasion adds to it somewhat

How about this for a volley. Tried this one on the park?

[YOUTUBE]XvgiC014HC8[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Ah but I think the pressure of the occasion adds to it somewhat
Stop before it's too late! You have no idea what you're getting yourself into!

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I've broken the four can barrier SN, care to elaborate?

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Grimson

Quote:

I know everyone else believes the pressure of the occasion makes everything more difficult. I don't. These are moments of instinct upon which the occasion has no bearing.

A penalty kick in the Euro Championships Final, yes, I'll give you that. But not a first-time volley that nobody could ever begrudge missing.

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:25 PM
DinGbAt

Gotta disagree on both counts Grimson. First off, it's much harder to judge a volley that's up in the air for a long time than one that arrives at speed, and look at the way Van Basten has to run, and then adjust his body position. And that's not mentioning the angle or loop of the shot. Secondly i don't care what you say the occasion does matter, just like how some good players can't handle playing for United, so it is harder to perform on the higher stage.

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:14 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
How many late nights (or early evenings for Grimson) have been spent debating what makes a goal truly great?

Unread 12-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinGbAt
Gotta disagree on both counts Grimson. First off, it's much harder to judge a volley that's up in the air for a long time than one that arrives at speed, and look at the way Van Basten has to run, and then adjust his body position. And that's not mentioning the angle or loop of the shot. Secondly i don't care what you say the occasion does matter, just like how some good players can't handle playing for United, so it is harder to perform on the higher stage.
I completely understand your points. But I think there is more than one way to look at this.

You say "It's harder to perform on the higher stage." To which I make two points that I would just like you to consider:

1) Is it not equally hard for the opponent? Doesn't that therefore somewhat mitigate how hard it is for the, in this case, protagonist? How can the 'stage' affect only one team, or one player?

2) I agree that some players can't handle the bigger stage, playing for United, in a World Cup, etc. But that is IN GENERAL and over a longer period of time, not in the split second that it takes to strike a volley or make a brilliant save. Example: Seba Veron did not, in general, perform well for United - but did he not have moments of brilliance? Could not the same be said for Tim Howard, or Bosnich, or almost any 'failed' United player?

A split-second moment of inspiration is not really 'performing,' it's reacting. And in those split seconds, nobody is thinking about the occasion. There isn't time.

Thats why I drew a distinction between Van Basten's volley, and someone having to take a penalty in the same game. Van Basten's is the better goal of course, because penalties are not technically demanding. But the penalty taker WOULD feel the weight of the occasion - he'd have the time to think of it, would know that he was expected to score, and would know the consequences of missing. The same could be said of a keeper going to claim a cross, or a defender dealing with a tricky winger on a long run. But not an instantaneous volley from a difficult angle. Where's the pressure in that? Nobody would have given it a second thought if it hadn't come off. Dasayev would have taken his goalkick, and it would be forgotten forever. If there are no consequences, there's no real pressure.

Don't get me wrong, Van Basten's IS a brilliant goal. I just think Mullery's is better. It's certainly far rarer, as I've never seen another one like it, whereas there are similar goals to Van Basten's scored all over the world. There's got to be a reason for that.

Unread 12-05-2007, 05:51 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by benallen
seconded
Closed Thread