United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:16 PM
armchair

Default Made Crisps in the air fryer last night. Here are my thoughts:

They were decent, but it took about half an hour and it's not worth the effort.

Maybe they were slightly tastier than most purchased crisps but not all. They were basically "ready salted" flavour which is the blandest of crisp flavours too.

I will never even attempt crisps again.

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:21 PM
jem

isn't the flavour down to you?

mrs jem just bought a new air fryer. the old one stirred things. this one doesn't. not sure I approve,

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:22 PM
Finport Red

Bit of black pepper, herbs and Parmesan on those and they would have been very enjoyable. Have another go.

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:24 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
isn't the flavour down to you?

mrs jem just bought a new air fryer. the old one stirred things. this one doesn't. not sure I approve,
Having similar issues. The ones that donít stir are shit tbh.

Very handy contraptions that aside.

How thick did you go with the crisps Armers? Did you at least get a satisfying crunch?

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:24 PM
armchair

I have onion salt but how would I do cheese out of "cheese and onion"? Parmesan?

Paprika is probably the best/easiest flavour for homemade crisps.

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:27 PM
jem

ancient gouda?

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:38 PM
armchair

They would've been better in a deep fat fryer. nqat.

I don't deep fat fry since the fire.

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:39 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
They would've been better in a deep fat fryer. nqat.

I don't deep fat fry since the fire.
Spontaneously combusted?

Never made crisps, seem Jamie Oliver do them once and his face annoyed me crunching the finished product...

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:48 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Spontaneously combusted?

Never made crisps, seem Jamie Oliver do them once and his face annoyed me crunching the finished product...
Vaguely remembered:

Put on oil to make chips. Got distracted. Came back to oil on fire and the fire had caught to a wooden shelf above the cooker. Very hypnotic watching the flames spread and almost engulf me.

Managed to snap out of it and move burning oil outside then put out fire in kitchen.

Never been as close to a full on house fire in my life. The time from the oil is on fire to the kitchen is on fire to I'm probably dying here is nothing.

Unread 17-06-2022, 07:58 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Vaguely remembered:

Put on oil to make chips. Got distracted. Came back to oil on fire and the fire had caught to a wooden shelf above the cooker. Very hypnotic watching the flames spread and almost engulf me.

Managed to snap out of it and move burning oil outside then put out fire in kitchen.

Never been as close to a full on house fire in my life. The time from the oil is on fire to the kitchen is on fire to I'm probably dying here is nothing.
Jesus !!! Very lucky tbh, that's why I steer clear of late night cooking or pan deep frying if I can....

Shits me up ..

Burnt my garage to the floor as a kid, playing with matches... always will remember opening the the side garage door and the back draft...

Dad got told by the fire brigade it was arson like, never told my mum, EVER, we had to move out for months, was mad ..

Unread 17-06-2022, 08:11 PM
jem

&

Unread 17-06-2022, 08:44 PM
TravellingRed

Parsnip crisps are good, done in the oven.

Unread 17-06-2022, 08:47 PM
jem

salty beetroot, too.

Unread 17-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
Parsnip crisps are good, done in the oven.
Got a link ?

Unread 17-06-2022, 10:24 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Vaguely remembered:

Used to live on Sausage butties. Had a waist level grill which for some reason was coated in tin foil. Made lunch, was told by my old dear that I would burn the house down as I kept forgetting to turn it off and it was half inch deep in fat.

A few hours later I make my evening meal of sausage butties in the pine panelled kitchen. Go quickly to play my new MegaDrive game (Jungle Strike). Forget to turn it off (the grill, was still playing Sega). Only the jack Russell barking at the ceiling warned me what was happening. Managed to save half of the house from burning down fully, as it was an old solid Victorian. Next door (semi) were out for 4 months because of smoke damage.

Old dear got back from the pub and gave me (stood outside with the dog and the Sega) a 20 spot for a pint to soothe my frayed nerves.....

Unread 17-06-2022, 10:29 PM
Sapien

Thought this was a review of a new Phil Collins single for a minute

Unread 17-06-2022, 10:50 PM
The taste of syphillis

Quote:
They were decent, but it took about half an hour and it's not worth the effort.

Maybe they were slightly tastier than most purchased crisps but not all. They were basically "ready salted" flavour which is the blandest of crisp flavours too.

I will never even attempt crisps again.
You kept the forum open to tell us this ?

Love crisps

Unread 19-06-2022, 07:32 AM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Thought this was a review of a new Phil Collins single for a minute
Or a Peter Kay joke, "reeeeemember Mega Drives eh?"