United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-07-2021, 12:22 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
and James from Porto.

Pretty sure Fergie said something 'off the record' about setting Moyes up to succeed and he came in and refused the players and replaced the backroom staff

Don't forget Moyes lusting after Baines as well
Ah yeah Baines

Didn’t he try and do a double deal for him and Fellaini

He even failed at that (thank £#%&!).

Unread 07-07-2021, 12:24 PM
andyroo

Quote:
and James from Porto.

Pretty sure Fergie said something 'off the record' about setting Moyes up to succeed and he came in and refused the players and replaced the backroom staff

Don't forget Moyes lusting after Baines as well
The backroom staff thing... many managers like to work with their own, and Phelansteen weren't a huge loss, the problem was who he replaced them with

Unread 07-07-2021, 12:34 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
The backroom staff thing... many managers like to work with their own, and Phelansteen weren't a huge loss, the problem was who he replaced them with
In most cases, granted, but taking over a behemoth like United and not knowing all that required handling, getting rid of those that did was foolish. He should've brought a few of his guys in and phased the old guard out as they got to grips with the set up and made changes gradually. Let's not forget, it was a title winning set-up as well, any change was likely to cause upset, changing everything was moronic and every one of us said so at the time IIRC.

Unread 07-07-2021, 12:38 PM
andyroo

Quote:
In most cases, granted, but taking over a behemoth like United and not knowing all that required handling, getting rid of those that did was foolish. He should've brought a few of his guys in and phased the old guard out as they got to grips with the set up and made changes gradually. Let's not forget, it was a title winning set-up as well, any change was likely to cause upset, changing everything was moronic and every one of us said so at the time IIRC.
Perhaps. He was supposed to be not a rookie manager though but one with ten years' standing at a Premier League club, supposedly knew what he was doing. I mean he clearly didn't but that's for the same reasons that he was a shocking choice in the first place.

I mean say it was, for example, Ancelotti and he'd only take the job if he were allowed pick his own backroom staff. You'd let him wouldn't you.

A new manager has to show he's his own man, and Moyes was already under enough suspicion of being Freggle's puppet.

Unread 07-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Perhaps. He was supposed to be not a rookie manager though but one with ten years' standing at a Premier League club, supposedly knew what he was doing. I mean he clearly didn't but that's for the same reasons that he was a shocking choice in the first place.

I mean say it was, for example, Ancelotti and he'd only take the job if he were allowed pick his own backroom staff. You'd let him wouldn't you.

A new manager has to show he's his own man, and Moyes was already under enough suspicion of being Freggle's puppet.
Its easy to just assume that any Premier League club is a well oiled machine staffed with people who know what they're doing, when in reality many of them are run by imbeciles with no experience.

Unread 07-07-2021, 12:54 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Its easy to just assume that any Premier League club is a well oiled machine staffed with people who know what they're doing, when in reality many of them are run by imbeciles with no experience.
Perfect match for us post Fergie and Gill then.

Unread 07-07-2021, 01:00 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Perfect match for us post Fergie and Gill then.
That first year Gill might have been a bigger loss than Freggle. @#%&! though he is.

Certainly losing both at the same time was hideous, and Gill had announced first. And he could hardly go to the FA "hang on can't it wait, I've a situation here". Well, he could have I suppose but he was never going to.

Ancient history though. We should've been over it by now but for the chronic negligence of the owners.

Unread 07-07-2021, 02:26 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
That first year Gill might have been a bigger loss than Freggle. @#%&! though he is.

Certainly losing both at the same time was hideous, and Gill had announced first. And he could hardly go to the FA "hang on can't it wait, I've a situation here". Well, he could have I suppose but he was never going to.

Ancient history though. We should've been over it by now but for the chronic negligence of the owners.
The manager-go-round from Ed is what allowed him to create a smoke and mirrors view to the owners that the managers were the problem. Reality is that we should have had him as chief commercial officer and brought in a chief sporting officer at the same level. The latter could have learned from Fergie and unburdened the manager, working with them to provide players funded by the commercial side, where Ed was good. Absolute £#%&! up from day 1.

Unread 07-07-2021, 02:42 PM
MUFC One Love

Moyes should have just tried to carry on what was here and just brought one maybe of coaching staff with him. Settle in then do the changes after a year.

The problem is at a lot of top European clubs they have ex players etc high up who are always there whoever the manager is, we lost Gill with Fergie and that was it. Hopefully with the set up now we can create that, meaning a change of manager isn't such a big change.

Create the culture first. Then it can just carry on.

Unread 07-07-2021, 02:55 PM
plopborsky

tbf to de gea he did sign his ball

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2013/06...-rumor-flurry/

Unread 07-07-2021, 06:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Wee Jimmy
Closed Thread