United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-01-2020, 06:16 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Of course - but that's four players that aren't good enough now, not two. And now you're saying we should have replaced them as well. Well yeah. That's the point... that we're fighting so many fires here. Replace poor quality players with better ones and flesh out the squad and curtail the wage madness. All at the same time.
I didn't expect us to fix all of the midfield problems in one window, my point is that we didn't fix any of them. It wouldn't have taken much in terms of scouting or money to improve on what we have there yet we didn't manage it. We wrote off the season in August, I'm struggling to understand why Ole wasn't and isn't up in arms about that.

Unread 09-01-2020, 06:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Forgot about Dalot tbh but Laird is completely unproven at this level, we don't know yet if he's good enough even as a backup.

Pereira/Lingard/Matic/Mata are all huge problems and easily solvable. Our midfield options are a huge cause of our on-field struggles, they neither protect the defence nor do they create four our attack, making both look worse than they are. It was negligence on the part of the scouts/board/Ole not to address it in the summer and it is now bordering on criminal.
We didn’t know if Williams was good enough 2 months ago Laird looks promising imo.
I
Agreed on the midfield 4 of misery. Bin them all. Since LvG’s second season we’ve needed 6-7 proper signings, every summer we’ve managed fewer than required (if any) and are now replacing players bought since then because they’re finished absolute madness. Easily still need 6-8 players coming in and the same going out. Still will in 2022 probably..

Unread 09-01-2020, 07:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath

'Jones has impressed in training and we're happy he can do a job against this Liverpool midfield on Sunday'
If the league was decided on "impressing in training" we would surely be up there with city and the Dippers

Unread 09-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
After LFC away in a few weeks.
Our last two trips there ending with our manager being sacked.

Unread 09-01-2020, 08:19 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We didn’t know if Williams was good enough 2 months ago Laird looks promising imo.
I
Agreed on the midfield 4 of misery. Bin them all. Since LvG’s second season we’ve needed 6-7 proper signings, every summer we’ve managed fewer than required (if any) and are now replacing players bought since then because they’re finished absolute madness. Easily still need 6-8 players coming in and the same going out. Still will in 2022 probably..
I like the look of Laird tbh, he looks like a good footballer?

Unread 09-01-2020, 08:44 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
That tackle he did on the Colchester player was hilarious

Unread 09-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Read what I wrote. If we continue this form for the rest of the season, he will be a failure, yes.

The table means little right now. We're four points off 10th ffs. And do you really see us winning any of those cups?
Er, won't we be 5th?

Or will 5th still be x amount of points off 10th?

5th is decent for the squad we have. Pointless to pretend otherwise.

Unread 10-01-2020, 03:43 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Er, won't we be 5th?

Or will 5th still be x amount of points off 10th?

5th is decent for the squad we have. Pointless to pretend otherwise.
Maybe. If the teams around us continue to be equally shit. We could also just as easily end up 10th on this form.

Not qualifying for CL would be a failure for any United manager in any season. Sure, Ole has got some absolute shit to manage so not necessarily his fault, but it is what it is and I'm not sure Woodward and co are going to care too much about that.

Unread 10-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Maybe. If the teams around us continue to be equally shit. We could also just as easily end up 10th on this form.

Not qualifying for CL would be a failure for any United manager in any season. Sure, Ole has got some absolute shit to manage so not necessarily his fault, but it is what it is and I'm not sure Woodward and co are going to care too much about that.
The teams around us arent being shit now. They're being what teams around 4th-8th do. Which is what we're being too.

Unread 10-01-2020, 12:06 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
The teams around us arent being shit now. They're being what teams around 4th-8th do. Which is what we're being too.
Both spurs and Arsenal have underperformed this season and been garbage at times.

Unread 10-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Both spurs and Arsenal have underperformed this season and been garbage at times.
Exactly the same as us then. We could argue we should have more points than we do, as much as they could.

Nobody is in a false position in the league.

Unread 10-01-2020, 12:37 PM
believe

Quote:
Exactly the same as us then. We could argue we should have more points than we do, as much as they could.

I think it’s a bit fanciful to say that we’ve underperformed, if anything we’ve over-performed in some games. You’re right about the league position though we’re right where we should be. Miles away from the league title.

Unread 10-01-2020, 12:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I think it’s a bit fanciful to say that we’ve underperformed, if anything we’ve over-performed in some games. You’re right about the league position though we’re right where we should be. Miles away from the league title.
I don't think we have, I'm just saying any team can point to some games where they should have had more. There's no false positions. Everyone is where they should be.

Unread 10-01-2020, 12:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yep, got a much harder task to get football with AWB/Young & Dalot in front of him. Can't hurt his chances seeing Young £#%&! off.

Unread 10-01-2020, 01:54 PM
shenwen

Quote:

That’s not the point I’m making but sure.

I also don’t think we’ve overperformed. Leicester have over-performed. With the money we’ve spent, we shouldn’t be scrambling like this. Obviously we’ve not spent the money wisely but still.

Unread 10-01-2020, 05:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
That’s not the point I’m making but sure.

I also don’t think we’ve overperformed. Leicester have over-performed. With the money we’ve spent, we shouldn’t be scrambling like this. Obviously we’ve not spent the money wisely but still.
Wasn't the point teams around us are underperforming?

I disagree.

The only team that seem in a false position are Leicester, as you say. And they're above us, so that's even less reason to think we'll fall lower.

Point is, as much as any of the teams are supposedly in a false position, so are we.

Unread 12-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Sparky***

good news everyone, city respect us

Unread 12-01-2020, 01:36 PM
utd99

Looking for sticks to beat the guy with.

Unread 12-01-2020, 01:55 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Looking for sticks to beat the guy with.
Tbf, I think I was guilty of pulling lvg and mou up for stuff like this. Admittedly, it was after 2/3 years of their respective tenures when we could all see where they were directing us but then, whiteside, windy and sparky are different gravy.

Unread 12-01-2020, 01:57 PM
Sparky***

So delighted that City decided to grace little old man utd with their strongest team.

Thanks City!
Closed Thread