United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-11-2022, 02:54 PM
Boring Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Every squad through the years will have some quality and some crap, but the reason they called that team the golden generation and a missed chance was because that 1-11 was especially strong, much stronger than this one.

Seaman

Neville
Rio
Terry
Cole

Lampard
Gerrard
Scholes
Beckham

Owen
Rooney

Not a single member of the current squad gets near that imo. Maybe Kane. I think there’s SOME attacking quality, but not a lot. It’s fairly functional. Saka, Sterling, Rashford have their flaws. The flair players aren’t even that flairy. Grealish is dull. Maddison untested at the highest level.

Foden is the one who is bafflingly missing out. Other than that, I don’t think they’re missing much of a trick. They’re about as good as I’d expect them to be.

Southgate is unquestionably a negative drip though. His in-game management is terrible
Seaman wasn’t part of that generation, it was David James, and he was a reason that team failed when it mattered.

Unread 26-11-2022, 02:57 PM
andyroo

2006? I don't think anyone personally let that side down. They were just a bit unlucky, that Portugal game really could have gone either way. Maybe Carragher's Godawful penalty.

ErikvanHaaksbergen

Besides that 11 never having played a tournament together, that era of England sides also lost to some great competition. 2-1 defeat in 02 to the Ronaldo/Ronaldinho/Rivaldo/Cafu/Roberto Carlos Brazil side who would go on to win the tournament after Seaman's howler. Two penalty defeats to the Rui Costa/Figo/Ronaldo/Carvalho/Deco Portugal sides of 2004 / 2006, playing 60 minutes with 10 men in the latter and having a late goal disallowed in the former.

Not remotely comparable to the Switzerland/Colombia/Croatia/Italy sides they struggled against or were defeated by in competitive competition under Southgate.

Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
Seaman wasn’t part of that generation, it was David James, and he was a reason that team failed when it mattered.
Ah yes, who can forget the france game in Euro 2004 that he so expertly £#%&!ed up.

Unread 26-11-2022, 02:59 PM
Ethers

Tim Flowers last England cap came in 1998. Why not add Peter Shilton in there too ffs

Unread 26-11-2022, 03:03 PM
Chris Quayd

The Switzerland match was one of their best performances tbf

Unread 26-11-2022, 03:09 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
The Switzerland match was one of their best performances tbf
Couldn't edit ..

Unread 26-11-2022, 03:25 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
Seaman played in 2002 and was part of the side that lost to Brazil. Admittedly, on his way out. James was better than any keeper we have now.

Ethers, yes. Let’s include Shilton and Flowers because they’re more examples of better players than this generation. My overarching point is that I don’t think this is an especially talented group. No more so than most generations and considerably less than some.

Unread 26-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Coracao

Completely futile argument.

They are talented in comparison to the teams in international football now. With a more competent manager, they'd have likely won the last tournament and be in with a great shout of winning this one.

The 'golden generation' achieved what they should have. Zero tournament wins, as there were superior teams playing.

For all the listing of top players England had, you can reel off the likes of...

Cafu, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo...

Thuram, Lizarazu, Pires, Vieira, Makelele, Zidane, Henry, Trezeguet...

Couto, Figo, Rui Costa, Carvalho, Ronaldo, Deco...

Buffon, Cannavaro, Nesta, De Rossi, Piro, Gattuso, Del Piero, Totti, Inzaghi...

And loads more.

Unread 26-11-2022, 04:23 PM
Joe Biden

I just noticed on twitter England took the knee for George Floyd but the USA remained standing

Unread 26-11-2022, 04:24 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Completely futile argument.

They are talented in comparison to the teams in international football now. With a more competent manager, they'd have likely won the last tournament and be in with a great shout of winning this one.

The 'golden generation' achieved what they should have. Zero tournament wins, as there were superior teams playing.

For all the listing of top players England had, you can reel off the likes of...

Cafu, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo...

Thuram, Lizarazu, Pires, Vieira, Makelele, Zidane, Henry, Trezeguet...

Couto, Figo, Rui Costa, Carvalho, Ronaldo, Deco...

Buffon, Cannavaro, Nesta, De Rossi, Piro, Gattuso, Del Piero, Totti, Inzaghi...

And loads more.
Yes, and I did that in my first post. I made the initial point that it’s not a strong England side compared to previous England sides and a separate point that the other nations are also weaker these days - which is why I think England will do ok. My point about the ‘golden generation’ isn’t futile because we were talking about this group of England players being wasted talent. They’re no more talented than other England groups. And a lot less than some. To compare with those groups is an attempt to establish whether they are actually that talented or just a basic level we have in any England set up. Which I think they are.

Unread 26-11-2022, 04:31 PM
Coracao

And round and round we go.

Time to go out.

Unread 26-11-2022, 04:36 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
I just noticed on twitter England took the knee for George Floyd but the USA remained standing
To be fair David Guetta did end all racism regarding Floyd.

Unread 26-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
And round and round we go.

Time to go out.
I like that our talks always end this way

Unread 26-11-2022, 05:41 PM
Joe Biden

Unread 26-11-2022, 05:51 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Must have laughed at them in 2016

Unread 26-11-2022, 05:53 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Far cry from the marriage of convenience when Russia were slapping them all over town for the euros... "£#%&! off Russia, we're England and Wales..."

Unread 27-11-2022, 10:50 AM
armchair

Unread 27-11-2022, 12:52 PM
thatsfuctit

Soz if posted etc

Closed Thread