United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 02-09-2020, 09:23 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Old people blaming young people for being lazy and spoilt vs young people thinking old people are out of touch has been going on since the Ancient Greeks pal.
No wonder Harry Maguire hates them

Unread 02-09-2020, 09:28 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho77
Universities and scruffy entitled Middle class students trying to change the world protesting about everything and anything particularly when I am at work. Fighting for the Marxist utopia mannnnnn whilst looking down their noses at the working classes
the upper-middle classes have yet again emerged from their primrose hill ivory towers to venture down to parliament square, lay down in the road again, and sneer at the working classes as they try to go about their work in their jolly awful white vans and other various ghastly forms of transport that they used to, you know, keep the country going during a pandemic.

Unread 02-09-2020, 09:37 PM
big chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
the upper-middle classes have yet again emerged from their primrose hill ivory towers to venture down to parliament square, lay down in the road again, and sneer at the working classes as they try to go about their work in their jolly awful white vans and other various ghastly forms of transport that they used to, you know, keep the country going during a pandemic.
And you pick the them and tell that, or given an alternative, either way son. ..
Thatís 50 sheets

Unread 02-09-2020, 09:59 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Lightweight.

I think the pockets of madness (mostly American) give a false impression, but the fact I canít read the Guardian anymore or listen to Radio 4 is a mild inconvenience.

More concerned by good old fashioned thieves and thugs than gender studies radicals.
Never had a particular choice of paper, Melvyn Bragg still does an awesome show on Radio 4, and if I'm really interested in good old fashioned thieves and thugs I'll pick up something from the crime section of the library.

As I said ... turn off the wifi and nothing's changed.

Unread 02-09-2020, 10:18 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I think social media has done tremendous harm in perception vs actual reality.
Not really tbh, its just made stuff that is there anyway more obvious and visible.

Social media is also in many ways a good thing, and I am getting a bit concerned at these blanket dismissals of it.

The solution is not to do away with it (basically impossible anyway) but to make it better.

Unread 02-09-2020, 10:36 PM
Sparky***

Unread 02-09-2020, 11:28 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Not really tbh, its just made stuff that is there anyway more obvious and visible.

Social media is also in many ways a good thing, and I am getting a bit concerned at these blanket dismissals of it.

The solution is not to do away with it (basically impossible anyway) but to make it better.
It's gone way too out of hand and I don't see how you can reverse the trend. Disinformation, manipulation, slander, data harvesting. If they try to regulate they get accused of political bias one way or another. I'm not someone who thinks Zuckerberg is some kind of dastardly force. He was about 20 when he set up facebook. But what started off as a way to connect people together has become the easiest way to divide.

Then factor in the mental health aspect of social media, particularly for young people, how much damage has been done. Peer pressure and insecurity has always been around but it's certainly exacerbated by the phoniness of instagram.

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:59 AM
browser

Quote:
Duh... nearly everyone is working from home. Cannon Street was absolutely dead yesterday, despite Boris telling people otherwise. In a building of 5k Iím one of 50 who goes in and only then, twice a week. Everyone at Salesforce tower which is 48 floors is WFH till January at a minimum, same at most of the banks. Those bike lanes will have saved countless lives on daily pre-pandemic commutes and they will be even busier when people actually are back to the office as many more in zones 1-3 will refuse to use the tubes. Try cycling through Uber drivers, bus drivers, cabbies, white Vans and Lorries without them.

Unread 03-09-2020, 11:29 AM
TravellingRed

Quote:
There is a dual carriageway near us which runs between Blackpool and Preston and serves two motorway junctions. It get absolutely jammed solid at rush hour so they've decided to shut the inside Lane as a "Covid cycle lane" I wouldn't mind there is an actual cycle track away from the road that follows the same route and an alternative quiet road by the river.

Unread 03-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria

It really is that simple. Riccers has nailed it

Unread 03-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Sparky in the 70s

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Duh... nearly everyone is working from home. Cannon Street was absolutely dead yesterday, despite Boris telling people otherwise. In a building of 5k Iím one of 50 who goes in and only then, twice a week. Everyone at Salesforce tower which is 48 floors is WFH till January at a minimum, same at most of the banks. Those bike lanes will have saved countless lives on daily pre-pandemic commutes and they will be even busier when people actually are back to the office as many more in zones 1-3 will refuse to use the tubes. Try cycling through Uber drivers, bus drivers, cabbies, white Vans and Lorries without them.
I've done it on bicycle and on a scooter for 4 years for up to 6 hours a day studying roads. So nobody can tell me anything about the roads, i've done the lot.

Everyone working from home yet they still decide to carve up the roads, install ridiculous cycle lanes on major arterial routes used by business related traffic, all with no consultation, no planning, no forethought.

Marylebone road is gridlocked, chelsea embankment gridlocked, park lane an absolute mess all to accommodate poorly planned, hastily installed cycle lanes that have no cyclists in them... and traffic levels are at about half the levels they usually would be this time of year.

But that's TfL's mantra - shut road space, funnel traffic, create bottlenecks and jams then complain about them.

As usual as it all boils down to in London it's the elite/upper classes inflicting their will on the poor/working classes.

Oliver and Beatrice quite like to cycle into the office 2-3 times a week from Muswell Hill don't you know so we're going to have to annex a whole lane on the approach to the two busiest train stations in the country. All you oiks in your vans doing a days work can go swivel and sit in traffic jams.

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
I've done it on bicycle and on a scooter for 4 years for up to 6 hours a day studying roads. So nobody can tell me anything about the roads, i've done the lot.

Everyone working from home yet they still decide to carve up the roads, install ridiculous cycle lanes on major arterial routes used by business related traffic

Marylebone road is gridlocked, chelsea embankment gridlocked, park lane an absolute mess all to accommodate poorly planned, hastily installed cycle lanes that have no cyclists in them... and traffic levels are at about half the levels they usually would be this time of year.

But that's TfL's mantra - shut road space, funnel traffic, create bottlenecks and jams then complain about them.

As usual as it all boils down to in London it's the elite/upper classes inflicting their will on the poor/working classes.
Isn't that the best time to make changes to the roads?

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Isn't that the best time to make changes to the roads?
Evidently f***ing not

Also do you not know what unreasonable intolerance is?

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Chris Quayd

People who don't know the meaning of the word 'evidently'

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
People who don't know the meaning of the word 'evidently'
moving on from this

can i add

"hearing about f***ing Harry and Meghan" to the list?

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:22 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Just stick to the canals and backroads. Ride on the pavement if you have to.

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Sapien

Quote:

Everyone working from home yet they still decide to carve up the roads, install ridiculous cycle lanes on major arterial routes used by business related traffic, all with no consultation, no planning, no forethought.

Oliver and Beatrice quite like to cycle into the office 2-3 times a week from Muswell Hill don't you know so we're going to have to annex a whole lane on the approach to the two busiest train stations in the country. All you oiks in your vans doing a days work can go swivel and sit in traffic jams.
I cycled to work through (but not from) Muswell Hill the other day

Cycling up it on the way back was a bit of a b****.

Unread 03-09-2020, 04:42 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Cycling up it on the way back was a bit of a b****.

Unread 03-09-2020, 05:32 PM
est.1878

Mates who move to London having kids with Southern accents