United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football Auto-Threads

Unread 14-08-2009, 03:20 PM
fred tissue

Default England harder than Italy, says Ancelotti

• Italian says Chelsea title quest will be arduous
• 'We will have to overcome difficulties in every game'

Carlo Ancelotti believes the Premier League will be tougher to win than Serie A. The Italian coach took Milan to the domestic title in 2004.

Ancelotti will take charge of his first match at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea face Hull City in the lunchtime kick-off tomorrow. The Blues' manager is unbeaten since taking over from Guus Hiddink.

As he prepared for his first game in the English league, Ancelotti said: "This is my first season outside Italy so it is a bit different, but I want to do well with my team. I am happy, not afraid. There's no tension or pressure.

"It is new but not the unknown. I'm not in the dark. I know my team very well. I appreciate the squad over the month I've had here, and the quality of this team. The ambition is to remain competitive until the end of the season in all the competitions – in the FA Cup, the Premiership and the Champions League.

"We want to arrive well in March and April in all the competitions. If we have strength and the right mental attitude, we can win at the end.

"In England the championship is more competitive because in Italy, three or four teams can win. Here I think that more teams can win the league. To win a season in England is not easy for any team. It's not easy for Chelsea, Liverpool or Manchester United, and also for Arsenal.

"It's a difficult start tomorrow. We'll have to overcome difficulties in every game. We have to work to improve because the situation on the pitch has to be natural. Now it's not natural because some things are new for the players. But with work it will become automatic. We have to put continuity into the games. That wasn't the case in the last game – some periods of the game were very good, others not."

The Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba and the defender Michael Mancienne – who has now joined Wolverhampton Wanderers on loan – have both signed new deals and the Italian wants Ashley Cole and Joe Cole to follow suit.

"I am happy that Didier signed a new contract because he is a very important player for this team, not only for now but for the future," said Ancelotti. "He's a very important striker who did very well for the team and will do very well for the team.

"We spoke with Mancienne and we found a right solution for him because he needs to play games. He will be a Chelsea player for the future.

"I'm hopeful that Ashley and Joe will stay with us. For sure. This is the opinion of the club."

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2009 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...