United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Of professional footballers who wouldn't be flattered by a club (even City) attempting to break their club record for a transfer fee for their services? Yes, start a list.
Seeing as I was talking about JT and City in particular, I'll use that as the basis for my example.

Wayne Rooney.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:09 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Seeing as I was talking about JT and City in particular, I'll use that as the basis for my example.

Wayne Rooney.
why wouldnt rooney be flattered if city offered circa 50m and about 250k a week in wages

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:09 PM
MJ Ramone

I hate it when managers talk about specific transfer targets in Press conferences (Hughes & Redknapp being good examples) ...& then they try to tidy things up a bit by saying "But 'player X' belongs to 'Club X' & I'm not here to talk about other Club's players" ...after they've just spent ten minutes talking about other Club's players.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
why wouldnt rooney be flattered if city offered circa 50m and about 250k a week in wages
Because I don't believe all players are arsed about the cash side of it.

As Rooney has already said this week.

If City would have approached us about him, I believe Wazza might have said:

"I'm happy at United who are used to winning trophies and are always competing.The money side of it doesn't really come in to it for me."

I might be wrong of course, but I don't think so in this instance.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Grimson

Quote:

Wayne Rooney.
He wouldn't go there. He wouldn't consider it for a second. He'd laugh about it with his friends. But he'd be flattered. It's human nature.

I assume that's the end of your 'list'

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
He wouldn't go there. He wouldn't consider it for a second. He'd laugh about it with his friends. But he'd be flattered. It's human nature.

I assume that's the end of your 'list'
Not really.

If we offered Steven Gerrard mega money and a big transfer fee, do you think he'd be 'flattered'?

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Not really.

If we offered Steven Gerrard mega money and a big transfer fee, do you think he'd be 'flattered'?
Yes, obviously.

Are you saying not every player would SAY they are flattered? Because I agree with that.

But to suggest these men with incredibly huge egos (yes, even Wayne) wouldn't secretly BE flattered is wrong, imo.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
croberts

Quote:
Not really.

yes

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
marlo

Quote:
Because I don't believe all players are arsed about the cash side of it.

As Rooney has already said this week.

If City would have approached us about him, I believe Wazza might have said:

"I'm happy at United who are used to winning trophies and are always competing.The money side of it doesn't really come in to it for me."

I might be wrong of course, but I don't think so in this instance.
are you £#%&!ing stupid?

no one has said he would come to united, but he would be flattered that a club want to pay that much for him you plank.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Yes, obviously.

Are you saying not every player would SAY they are flattered? Because I agree with that.

But to suggest these men with incredibly huge egos (yes, even Wayne) wouldn't secretly BE flattered is wrong, imo.
Good.

Look at which players have been 'flattered' by Man City:

Adebayor is a prime example for me.A real mercanary.'heart set' on Milan wasn't it?That's where he wanted to go because they flashed cash at him.Then, because they realised he wasn't worth anything like 20 0dd million, he had to stay at Arsenal and did a 360 about turn on his feelings for the club.Said summat like "I'm happy to stay at Arsenal, I love this club".Then, City steam in with a desperate bid to sign anyone that is deemed 'top class' and Adebayor is off.Not before his agent has pimped him to United, Chelsea etc because he knows what City are.'Flattered' indeed.

The players that are flattered by City aren't winners, they're all about the cash.

And we all know how Tevez works.Money, money and more money for him and his pimp.

I suppose if Barca offered a world record bid for Rooney, anyone could understand him being 'flattered' but not by the likes of City.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:29 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
are you £#%&!ing stupid?

no one has said he would come to united, but he would be flattered that a club want to pay that much for him you plank.
This is why I have a £#%&!er like you on ignore.

Get £#%&!ed you £#%&!ing wum @#%&! and get back to bullshitting about every subject you decide to spout shit about.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
marlo

Quote:

oh my god.

there is a difference between signing for a club and being flattered by their interest.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
This is why I have a £#%&!er like you on ignore.

Get £#%&!ed you £#%&!ing wum @#%&! and get back to bullshitting about every subject you decide to spout shit about.
boom!

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Good.

Adebayor is a prime example for me.A real mercanary.'heart set' on Milan wasn't it?That's where he wanted to go because they flashed cash at him.Then, because they realised he wasn't worth anything like 20 0dd million, he had to stay at Arsenal and did a 360 about turn on his feelings for the club.Said summat like "I'm happy to stay at Arsenal, I love this club".Then, City steam in with a desperate bid to sign anyone that is deemed 'top class' and Adebayor is off.Not before his agent has pimped him to United, Chelsea etc because he knows what City are.'Flattered' indeed.

The players that are flattered by City aren't winners, they're all about the cash.

And we all know how Tevez works.Money, money and more money for him and his pimp.

I suppose if Barca offered a world record bid for Rooney, anyone could understand him being 'flattered' but not by the likes of City.
You're straying into completely different topics. Every player in the world would be flattered, whether they say so or not, whether they wanted to go there or not, whether they were winners or not. Rooney would be flattered as much as Adebayor.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Good.

makes me laugh when people think footballers should be immune to the natural emotions of employment and remuneration not to mention prestige of their employer

i'm not saying this happened but it could just as easily have played out privately with adebayor differently

milan are after him, he wants to go but the deal doesn't go through, he is stuck at arsenal, he HAS to say something positive, or maybe he even thought afterwards it was a good job yhe deal didn't go through. fans got on his back and he felt he had to move

have you ever nearly got a job and then decided against it or weren't ultimately offered it and thought it was a blessing in disguise?

While you were thinking about it did you have millions watching you, a camera stuck in your face and a microphone under your nose every minute, did people make sweeping generalisations about your motives and cast your character into question based upon it?

just because they get paid a lot doesn't mean they are not young men who have to make tough career decisions etc

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
You're straying into completely different topics. Every player in the world would be flattered, whether they say so or not, whether they wanted to go there or not, whether they were winners or not. Rooney would be flattered as much as Adebayor.
I disagree Grimmers.

Rooney would probably think "City?! £#%&! off!", I don't think he'd be flattered by that group of chancers.Barca, Madrid even, maybe.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
borsuk

if somebody says something nice about you then you feel flattered. it's not hard.

what was funny with 'jt' was the way he obviously weighed it up and used it to get a better deal, then came out with the 'never even considered it' line and claimed he and the club were just looking for the best moment i mean, i know chelsea 'fans' are pretty thick and generally know about as much about football as my cat but £#%&!ing hell.

and then the @#%&!s went and chanted his name first game after that

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Grimson

Quote:
I disagree Grimmers.

Rooney would probably think "City?! £#%&! off!", I don't think he'd be flattered by that group of chancers.Barca, Madrid even, maybe.
Well if he's different to every other pro footballer who has ever lived, you could be right. Neither of us know him, so it's just speculation. But we do know every human seeks validation, no matter how much they already have. It doesn't matter the source, if someone validates you, it feels good.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
makes me laugh when people think footballers should be immune to the natural emotions of employment and remuneration not to mention prestige of their employer

i'm not saying this happened but it could just as easily have played out privately with adebayor differently

milan are after him, he wants to go but the deal doesn't go through, he is stuck at arsenal, he HAS to say something positive, or maybe he even thought afterwards it was a good job yhe deal didn't go through. fans got on his back and he felt he had to move

have you ever nearly got a job and then decided against it or weren't ultimately offered it and thought it was a blessing in disguise?

While you were thinking about it did you have millions watching you, a camera stuck in your face and a microphone under your nose every minute, did people make sweeping generalisations about your motives and cast your character into question based upon it?

just because they get paid a lot doesn't mean they are not young men who have to make tough career decisions etc
I'm just wondering when cash doesn't really need to motivate a footballer (like Terry for instance) who has earned incredible riches at Chelsea since the Abramovich era began.And before that really.Using Man City as an example, maybe it's too black and white, seeing as they're a total joke of a club but players being 'flattered' by Barca, Madrid, Milan, Juve etc, I can understand.Teams with history, and a history of winning.I get that.But not Man City.

I'd be staggered if Rooney left us in the next 6-7 years for any kind of financial reasoning.He seems like winning is what motivates him.

If Adebayor had ended up at United but him and his agent had been trying to get him to Chelsea or City or Milan but they'd said 'Get £#%&!ed', I wouldn't want the @#%&! anywhere near the club.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Well if he's different to every other pro footballer who has ever lived, you could be right. Neither of us know him, so it's just speculation. But we do know every human seeks validation, no matter how much they already have. It doesn't matter the source, if someone validates you, it feels good.
So what you're saying is, you might agree but I'm totally wrong and you're totally right?

Cheers for that.
Closed Thread