United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
fix up look SHARPE

for anyone interested in more, theres a few here.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sys...ootball_lists/

TOP TEN TEAMS OF THE PAST 25 YEARS:

1: Arsenal 2001-04

The 2002 team were superb, but the “Invincibles”, who went through the season undefeated two years later, were truly exceptional. Thierry Henry and others were at the peak of their powers, but the main difference between this and subsequent Arsenal sides was in their indomitable spirit and physical strength. No European Cup, but what a team.

2: Manchester United 2006-09

Even Ryan Giggs has questioned whether this is a truly great team, rather than merely a successful one, but their three consecutive titles and two Champions League final appearances have come at a time when the Premier League’s elite is more powerful than ever. The question is whether they can still flourish without Cristiano Ronaldo.

3: Chelsea 2004-09

We are talking here about the side fashioned by José Mourinho, which still, at its best, bears his hallmark. They are not quite the force they were when they won the Premier League with a record points tally in 2005, but two league titles and a series of near-misses in the Champions League do scant justice to the team that José built.

4: Manchester United 1995-2001

Over six years that yielded five league titles and a long-awaited Champions League success in 1999, United were truly dominant. Four and five-goal victories were ritual, but so too were the comebacks that drew on the character and spirit of Roy Keane, David Beckham and a team for whom winning was second nature.

5: Liverpool 1987-90

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs’ from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

6: Everton 1984-87

In a heady three-year spell, Howard Kendall led Everton from mediocrity to two league titles, three FA Cup Finals (one victory) and the European Cup Winners’ Cup. Class ran right through this cheaply assembled team, from Neville Southall to the wonderful midfield quartet of Trevor Steven, Paul Bracewell, Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy.

7: Manchester United 1992-94

Yes they flopped in the Champions League, but Sir Alex Ferguson is not alone in regarding this as his favourite United team. With characters such as Peter Schmeichel, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane and Mark Hughes, they were a fearsome lot, but they also played some marvellous stuff, with Eric Cantona a talismanic presence up front.

8: Arsenal 1997-99

Not quite as successful in trophy-winning terms as George Graham’s Arsenal, but their double triumph in their first full season under Arsène Wenger was as spectacular as it was unexpected. Wenger built on the foundations of Graham’s celebrated back four, with Marc Overmars, Dennis Bergkamp and a young Nicolas Anelka bringing flair to Highbury at last.

9: Blackburn Rovers 1994-95

Nothing like as eye-catching as Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle but, backed by the wealth of Jack Walker and managed by Kenny Dalglish, they won the title with 89 points in 1995. They relied heavily on the goals of Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, but this unglamorous team also had an incredible work ethic and, crucially, perfect balance.

10: Newcastle United 1994-96

The only trophy-less team on the list, but Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle will live longer in the memory than Leeds United’s champions of 1992 or Liverpool’s cup treble winners of 2001. Epitomised by the flair of David Ginola, they captivated audiences across the country. Nor was their defensive record as bad as people seem to think.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
A toss up between Scholes and Vieira.
Better than Keane

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
Ince's best was not against the elite European teams though. It was against fairly average Premiership teams. Carrick has done it against the best Europe has to offer (Roma Final aside.)
he did okay against Barca in 94 at home and in Rotterdam.

dodgy in Nou Camp

did well against the likes of Montpellier and Atletico Madrid (Goteborg at home etc)

didn't really play anyone else but was very good for England and also at Inter

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:52 PM
fix up look SHARPE

they must be having dares as to who can fit the most ridiculous suggestion in at number 10.

10th best prem midfielder...eyal berkovic
10th best modern team...a trophyless newcastle
10th best stadium (in the world)...craven cottage

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6789326.ece

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Better than Keane
Yup.

The four best midfielders I've seen in my lifetime playing in England would have to be (in no particular order) Robbo, Souness, Scholes and Vieira.

Keane might have looked tougher in the tunnel but forgetting that rubbish and going on purely footballing terms Vieira was exceptional and the better player.

Keane and Gerrard would be next in my list but Ince deserves a shout. Granted he £#%&!ed up his legendary status at United by his actions later in his career but he was immense for a period at United.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Yup.

The four best midfielders I've seen in my lifetime playing in England would have to be (in no particular order) Robbo, Souness, Scholes and Vieira.

Keane might have looked tougher in the tunnel but forgetting that rubbish and going on purely footballing terms Vieira was exceptional and the better player.

Keane and Gerrard would be next in my list but Ince deserves a shout. Granted he £#%&!ed up his legendary status at United by his actions later in his career but he was immense for a period at United.
ahem, Remi Moses?

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
ahem, Remi Moses?

Actually very underrated and the perfect foil for a marauding Robbo in his pomp.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Coracao

Talking

I doubt even Vieira would argue he was better than Keane.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
he did okay against Barca in 94 at home and in Rotterdam.

dodgy in Nou Camp

did well against the likes of Montpellier and Atletico Madrid (Goteborg at home etc)

didn't really play anyone else but was very good for England and also at Inter
I'm not sayin Ince wasn't a good player, I liked him and was gutted when he left. I remember a Boxing Day (I Think) game at Villa and the Utd end singing "Theres only one of us trying" about Ince. Just think Carrick is better.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Stickman

As much as Carrick's arrival has brought unprecedented success - theres no way hes a better cenre mid than Paul Ince was!

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Actually very underrated and the perfect foil for a marauding Robbo in his pomp.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
As much as Carrick's arrival has brought unprecedented success - theres no way hes a better cenre mid than Paul Ince was!
As I said it's all about opinions, would much rather have Carrick than Ince myself. Ince was a warrior, a lot easier to find than a class act like Carrick

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
MJ Ramone

£#%&!ing hell!
Those lists are a joke

So Arsenal are the greatest team of the modern era....despite the fact they never retained a League title...they never lifted a European Cup...& they have never had a sustained period of domination.

..& Chelsea's back to back Title winning side was better than our Treble winning/Title hat-trick side??

I think it's safe to say abu'ism is alive & screaming ahead of the new season

It's no wonder Fergie treats these hideous £#%&!ing journalist @#%&!s with such utter disregard.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I agree with Peter Charles;
peter charles wrote:
Agree with no Scholes sloppy in possesion lots of fouls terrible for England

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
£#%&!ing hell!
Those lists are a joke

So Arsenal are the greatest team of the modern era....despite the fact they never retained a League title...they never lifted a European Cup...& they have never had a sustained period of domination.

..& Chelsea's back to back Title winning side was better than our Treble winning/Title hat-trick side??

It's no wonder Fergie treats these hideous £#%&!ing journalist @#%&!s with such utter disregard.
Of course these lists might just be the journos response to to Fergies attitude towards them.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
that european cup winning arsenal side? fair play
yep. the same team that retained the league title on a regular basis.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
£#%&!ing hell!
Those lists are a joke

I think it's safe to say that you'll never get a totally unbiased opinion from a journalist where arsenal are concerned, a lot of them are middle class #@&%!heads so are probably arsenal fans anyway. They are just ahead of Liverpool in the Media darling stakes.

Unread 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think it's safe to say that you'll never get a totally unbiased opinion from a journalist where arsenal are concerned, a lot of them are middle class #@&%!heads so are probably arsenal fans anyway. They are just ahead of Liverpool in the Media darling stakes.
I dunno

Not right now, maybe a few years back

Unread 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
5: Liverpool 1987-90

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs’ from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

:shakhead:

Unread 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
:shakhead:

That is truly amazing
Closed Thread