United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
His best performances in a pair came alongside Scholes in 06-07, the pair of them were perfect for each other. If Scholes was 28-29 now we would have no midfield issues whatsoever.
and in that partnership, carrick was the 'support act'.

the problem we have no is anderson isnt ready and both fletcher and carrick are support acts but both do it in different ways.

fletcher chases the ball and gets in your face more where as carrick likes to intercept passes etc.

im some ways its abit like mascherano (fletcher) and alonso (carrick). put them in a two man midfield and although two good players it just isnt good enough or penetrative enough.

we need a new midfielder. an attacking one.

imo the midfielder we should be bringing to ot (laugh all you want) is him.

he would be perfect in a three man midfield for us.one year on his contract remaining.

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Do you consider Barry a "worker"? Not really seeing it myself. He's a sort of poor man's Carrick to me.
did you not see him at ot last season

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

the problem we have no is anderson isnt ready and both fletcher and carrick are support acts but both do it in different ways.

fletcher chases the ball and gets in your face more where as carrick likes to intercept passes etc.

im some ways its abit like mascherano (fletcher) and alonso (carrick). put them in a two man midfield and although two good players it just isnt good enough or penetrative enough.

All the £#%&!ing shit you have given me over the last 18 months for saying that.

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
wiganste

Quote:

he would be perfect in a three man midfield for us.one year on his contract remaining.

Would be a good player for us, agree.

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:57 PM
marlo

Quote:

All the £#%&!ing shit you have given me over the last 18 months for saying that.
i think he is ready but saf doesnt.

saf should have called it a day with scholes and really pushed forward with a three man midfield of anderson,carrick and fletcher or any of the two combined and really got some consistency going. (gibson popping up now and again)

but this season it will be a mixed basket the whole way through with scholes and giggs popping up ruining any chance of consistency or a settled side.

it should be backs to the wall stuff so we can see what andy is made off and in the same respect nani. but it will be the odd game here and there and with park popping up and us having no guaranteed starters in most positions.

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:58 PM
borsuk

Quote:
He's a £#%&!ing Left back for me
true

barry's a all-round decent, nothing specially good player. he put in a fair shift though, to be fair, and he's not afraid of a tackle.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I've seen plenty of him. More than one game in fact. He's not a "worker", he plays a similar game to Carrick but without the range of passing or class. I suspect that's why the dippers wanted him to laughably replace Alonso, not Mascherano a season ago.

Whalefish

Quote:
Yes, first decent game he's ever had against us. Better than poor - which he normally is. I saw him play against a few other top sides last season and tbh he never really stood out and impressed. He's not shit by any means but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as some think.

I wonder how his Villa career would have gone if he was right footed and not left?

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Whalefish

Fitness permitting Joe Cole would be an excellent signing. Sadly currently £#%&!ed.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
marlo

Quote:
I've seen plenty of him. More than one game in fact. He's not a "worker", he plays a similar game to Carrick but without the range of passing or class. I suspect that's why the dippers wanted him to laughably replace Alonso, not Mascherano a season ago.
without sounding abit rude, i dont think you know a good midfielder when you see one.. remember the little player i rated season before last at pompey. he is currently in r madrids starting line up with alonso, kaka, ronaldo, benzema etc

barry is a good and solid worker. just what england need and allowing lampard to play slightly forward and with abit of freedom.

p.s. barry is more similar to fletcher than carrick.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Fitness permitting Joe Cole would be an excellent signing. Sadly currently £#%&!ed.
We'll pick him up on a free/cheap deal after another season injured and give him a chance of the big time.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
without sounding abit rude, i dont think you know a good midfielder when you see one.. remember the little player i rated season before last at pompey. he is currently in r madrids starting line up with alonso, kaka, ronaldo, benzema etc

barry is a good and solid worker. just what england need and allowing lampard to play slightly forward and with abit of freedom.

p.s. barry is more similar to fletcher than carrick.
Tbh, I'll take anything said by you about anybody's football knowledge, myself and Whalers in this instance, with a pinch of salt, given your erm, shall we say prejudices when it comes to football.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
He would, fergie's followed his career since he was 13 too. He's a bit "special" too. Awwwww.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:06 PM
marlo

Quote:
We'll pick him up on a free/cheap deal after another season injured and give him a chance of the big time.
joe cole would be perfect for us. his ability to play from a wide position helps also if we deploy him in a three man midfield.

Quote:
Tbh, I'll take anything said about anybody's football knowledge, myself and Whalers in this instance, with a pinch of salt, given your erm, shall we say prejudices when it comes to football.
i always rated the lad. could have stayed at arsenal but left, took a pay cut because he just wanted to play football.
was honest with pompey about playing for them until a big clubs comes along.
had some good games and played a big part in them winning a trophy (motm in the final i think) and now at madrid starting in the galaticos II line up.

not bad for a lad you didnt think was a good midfielder.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Sloppy

Arsenal £#%&!ed up big time letting diarra go.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
joe cole would be perfect for us. his ability to play from a wide position helps also if we deploy him in a three man midfield.

i always rated the lad. could have stayed at arsenal but left, took a pay cut because he just wanted to play football.
was honest with pompey about playing for them until a big clubs comes along.
had some good games and played a big part in them winning a trophy (motm in the final i think) and now at madrid starting in the galaticos II line up.

not bad for a lad you didnt think was a good midfielder.
I'm glad this has huge significance to you but we were talking about Barry and Carrick and their relative merits? The portsmouth lad has done better than I thought, though the Real team he was in wasn't great and we are yet to see if he'll be in it this year regularly with Alonso signing. Good luck to him though.

EDIT: By the way, wasn't my point about Diarra more that he didn't as you suggested "totally dominate" Uniteds midfield in a match in which we created 27 chances?

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM
borsuk

diarra might not get quite as many games as he hopes now alonso has gone there

Unread 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Stickman

Quote:

to be fair he's not a bad shout.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:56 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
to be fair he's not a bad shout.
Marlo's at his best repeating suggestions others have made, months or years later and making them his own.

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Marlo's at his best repeating suggestions others have made, months or years later and making them his own.
Spot on.
Closed Thread